Chinese-Forums

Some weird food in Beijing

LiYuanXi

I have just came back from a tour in Beijing and i happen to see this starfish in sticks selling in an alley behind wang fu jing! I cant believe anyone eat starfish. There also sell seahorses, cockroaches, scorpions, in sticks...... :-? Anybody here like one?

Fried cockroaches were pretty popular back in the famine days, people ate all kinds of stuff. My mom told me, her elementary school used to have a big pool, where people pour urine in it and let it dry. Then after the liquid dried up, they would use the stuff that was left in the pool to make urine cookies.

So, next time when you see those ruthless or rude middle aged Chinese, please raise your tolerance bar a few levels higher, for you know these rude people might have had very unpleasant pasts.

• Like 1

In the chinese legend, there's also an urine egg. I've heard that some old people put chicken eggs into urine and some special flavours will come.

And insects are also the popular snack in Thailand. It's shown everywhere, and much more popular than in china.