Chinese-Forums

Losing the taste for meat

xianhua

So 孔子 is being interviewed by a modern-day journalist (naturally). The journalist asks Confucius about his love for music, to which our venerable sage replies:

"对,记得有一次我学习音乐时,听到一种古代音乐,非常好听,听了以后三个月长不出肉味来"

So was this ancient music so wonderful that he couldn't taste the flavour in meat for three months? Is this a way of saying 'to lose one's appetite' perhaps?

Huh?

I didn't try in the least to make you look stupid as i assumed you had simply cut and pasted something from an article you read.

It's really your response that is somewhat "ridiculous" because how in the world would you know my intention was to make you "deliberately" look stupid?

Thank you, Hashiri Kata, as i really was a little hurt by the response i got. I so honestly thought that the mistake was in the article itself that had been cut and pasted. And even if you have typed it yourself, it is soooo easy to get a mistake with those editors. You mean to click option 3 but the editor quickly picks option 1 and you don't catch the mistake.

So was this ancient music so wonderful that he couldn't taste the flavour in meat for three months? Is this a way of saying 'to lose one's appetite' perhaps?
No, it doesn't mean losing appetite. It means the music sounded so good that his mind was completely occupied by it, so for three months after he still couldn't tell the normally good taste of the meat he was eating. The music did not put him off eating meat :mrgreen: