Chinese-Forums

Gyms in Beijing

sangbhs008

I just arrived here last week. I haven't really gotten around too much, but I joined a gym near where I'm staying and it's 290 kuai for one month (I think it's too expensive but it's very convenient). The gym is pretty basic but it has all the usual weights equipment and a decent number of cardio machines. It's nothing fancy but everything works and it's *fairly* clean.

I have no idea the name or address but it's inside the 2nd ring road on the west side. I think it's near XiZhiMen station.

hope that helps a little.

~L

I just signed up at the Zhangbei Fitness gym just north of BLCU for 500 kuai a year. The gym is small, but not crowded. I guess the normal rate is around 800-900 and they had a special for 580. My friend quoted the special again and the staff misheard for 500 kuai.

Anyone got any recentish comments on Powerhouse at Dongzhimen’s 银座, or alternatively anything on the Line 5 subway within a few stops of 北新桥? All I'm really after is running machines - used to use a university track but now I've moved there aren't any, and don't want to be running on pavements (not so much for the sake of my joints, I just get fed up dodging all the obstacles). I might end up using other stuff, but it's not going to factor into my decision.

my friend is using Powerhouse at Kenzo and he is quite happy. Havent used it myself though. There used to be this very small gym downstairts from the Oriental Culture Center right next to Bei Xin Qiao, 150RMB/h, but no air con, it had running machines. Not sure if they are still around though, that was a few years back.

• 4 weeks later...
my friend is using Powerhouse at Kenzo and he is quite happy
I used to go here, but used it only for the swimming pool. It's pricier than other places, but then not many other places had a pool, and it was close to where I lived and worked, which made it ideal. If you're only after running equipment there's also a Hosa (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) in the underground section of East Gate Plaza. I've never used them myself, but know a few people who go there and they seem to think it was ok.

Hosa is OK. Annual membership is 1000 (or at least it was late last year).

Lots of classes: spin, zumba, yoga, hip hop, pump, pilates, latin and the list goes on. They have a weights room, a lot of circuit equipment, probably about 30 running machines and 5 cross country skiing machines, a couple of stairmasters.

Not all the equipment works all of the time, but most of it does.

In Summer there can be a lot of people, and that can mean a bit of a wait for running machines. They don't always turn the air con on so it can get a bit whiffy and stuffy.

That said, I'd say thumbs up to them. The equipment is regularly cleaned. Often when you're using it.

And just to help everyone on this thread feel better, the China World Hotel charges RMB10,000 for an annual membership. I checked that out too, it was close to work. The gym was small, hardly any classes. Sure the was equipment new, but the gym was only about half as big as Hosa at ten times the price.

• 1 month later...

Ive just arrived at BLCU and am trying to track down a gym. I really just need tread mills + weight machines + maybe free weights, Ive read about a gym on campus but failed to find it after a brief exploration yesterday, ive found some information on here about other gyms nearby which ill probably check out. An on campus gym would be great though, have I just failed to find it?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has the BLCU gym changed much in the last 5 years? If not, then it's above the pool, very small, crappy but usable treadmills, and not properly air-conned or ventilated. I'm positive the price has gone up, however. I think I paid 200 kuai for 2-3 months (summer).

Here's a run-down of what I know, which is quite a bit because I made a point to shop around twice in the last year - once last November 2010 and the other time April 2011. I eventually joined Nivrana Fitness, which wouldn't have been such a mistake if I hadn't decided to move (see below).

Nirvana Fitness - I joined the Anzhen Qiao location for 2900 (down from 3600) per year. It's located in the Global Trade buildings next to the third ring road, and not that far from the Lama temple area (about 15 minutes to get there via bus + walking). Nice, well-maintained equipment, slew of classes (including spin), lovely treadmills, each with own TV and 2-3 with DVD players. New-ish locker rooms. On the second floor of a building with WINDOWS for seeing the outside while working out. Downsides: They had financial trouble in January and closed for a few days. They did finally re-open, but seems like they started downsizing (luckily in the things I didn't care about, such as eliminating overpriced supplements and apparel from the glass cases and fewer personal trainers walking around not doing anything). When I moved they would not switch my membership to the Nirvana in the Zhaolong hotel (next to Tuanjiehu station) for less than an additional 2000 RMB per 6 months. Now, the first guy I spoke with at Zhaolong said they would do it, but when I used Zhaolong on perhaps the third time with my card, they then told me I had to call Anzhen qiao, who said Zhaolong was a "different location" with "different prices" - of course, I tried to get them down a bit on the price, but nothing seemed to work. Zhaolong isn't that great - it's got numerous floors and nice equipment like Anzhen qiao, but I thought the lockers were worse, and the ceilings a bit stifling. Not as many classes either. So I used about 4 months of that membership and lost the rest to the black hole...

Ok, so I never joined another gym because I was afraid to have the same thing happen and because I decided I would bear it and run outside (which I now do regularly at Chaoyang park; a main reason why I moved to where I did anyways) and vary that with "Heyrobics", plus every now and then I swim at the pool located behind that elementary school on Xingfucun Zhonglu (small but clean and rarely crowded).

Here is what I visited and prices -

Nov 2010

Alexander gym in Moma - way overpriced. Got them down to "only" 3500 or so per year (I think). They have a pool, nice equipment, and fancy schmancy looking classes (go figure) but the lack of windows seemed unbearable and ridiculous at that price.

Aomei (is this Ozone?) - went with a friend near Lishuiqiao. 1 year without bargaining was ~2000 RMB, including a nice pool and good lighting/air circulation, next to the Olympic media village. Equipment and locker rooms OK but nothing fancy and nothing to write home about.

April (?) 2011

Sun City gym (near Dongsishitiao) - located in the basement. About 1000 RMB for 6 months, includes a crappy looking 25M pool next door and a small class schedule. Too depressing to work out in, IMO. Might be OK if you live in the complex or another one nearby and need a go-to place on those extremely cold and depressing winter days.

Hosa (the one imron mentions I think?, near Dongzhimen) - located in the basement, but nicer looking equipment and full schedule of classes. Couldn't get the guy to budge from 1170 RMB for 6 months.

Powerhouse Dongzhimen - Nice facility, the only place that reminded me of gyms in the U.S. Equipment like Nirvana's (StarTrac, LifeFitness, etc) and a nice spinning room with good light and air. That guy named 'kaka' - seems he meets just about everyone - quoted me 2500 RMB for 6 months after some bargaining. Although I think you could probably get it for less if you promise to go during non-peak hours. (Are there peak hours? do people here work out? I never saw that many people at any of the gyms, other than women in the yoga classes at Nirvana.............) Aside from the above details, this gym was most appealing because it opens in the morning - 6 or 7 AM? If I was going to be here for another Beijing winter, this is the gym I would choose.

Some friends of mine in Season's Park pay a whopping 600 RMB a month for their gym (in the complex, includes an 18 M pool). I think they pay it because one of them works for a company that pays their rent -- one of the guys has told me if it weren't for that he would have gone elsewhere because the equipment is "not so great".

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have to admit that I haven't read all answers, but therefore is my question also very quick to answer :-)

I will be studying Chinese for one year at the PKU (Beida University). They have for sure a fitness center (?), but would you also recommend it?