Chinese-Forums

Textbooks with Full English Translation

HedgePig

Are there any good Chinese textbooks that have

(1) A full English translation of the lesson?

(2) Also have an audio (in Chinese) of the lesson?

I think all textbooks have accompanying audio but I can't remember coming across any that also include a full English translation.

I don't know about any textbooks, but I can recommend the following:

1) Travel In Chinese - show by DaShan

You can get video here: http://www.cctv.com/program/learnchinese/video/index.shtml

which you can easily rip to audio

You can get the transcripts here http://www.cctv.com/program/TravelinChinese_newold/02/index.shtml

which have full English translation (starting at lesson 27 the earlier lessons don't have the english)

2) Chinese Movies - for example at the moment I am studying 非诚勿扰. You can get the chinese subtitles and study that together with the english subtitles and the film audio.

It appears the HanYu KouYu series may fit your criteria. I've recently started using the 2nd and 3rd parts of their elementary level. The series advertises multiple higher levels as well. Each of the two parts I have came in two volumes. The first of each set includes dialog(s) in pinyin and (简体字) hanzi, selected usage/grammar notes and exercises. The second part includes vocabulary lists and full dialog translations in English. CD's (in CDA format) came with each part and provide audio for the dialogs and vocabulary. I use these only for speaking/listening practice with my tutor. The grammar/usage explanations are meager.

My university classes have used 1) NPCR, 2) Chinese Odyssey and 3) Integrated Chinese. None of these provide English translations but do include (separately) audio for the dialogs.

http://www.nanhai.com/materials/language-learning/college/spoken-chinese.html

Thanks for the suggestions, simake. I do already have some resources with audio and the Chinese text (with or without pinyin) but I am looking for something more structured and with a complete English translation (preferably in grammatically correct English and not something obviously translated by someone not fluent in English!)

Simake - I'll definitely check out the books you mention. This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for.