Chinese-Forums

Kunming Sticker Shock

abcdefg

I just moved back to Kunming and got some “sticker shock” while apartment hunting. Prices in the most convenient areas around the most popular downtown university zone (云大 and 师大)have gone up by about 30% compared with this time last year, at least for six-month leases. I wasn’t shopping for a one-year lease, so I don’t know about those.

After quite a bit of looking, I opted not to live in 五华区 this time and finally rented a place farther out in 盘龙区 instead. My travel time to school will be longer, but I got more apartment for the buck. Only time will tell whether or not I made the right decision.

You are probably still OK if you want to share a flat with room-mates since the individual impact of the increase will be less. Even the older, smaller, shabby places around 翠湖 have gone up some since last year; though the nicer and larger ones seem to have taken a steeper hit and gone up much more.

Local friends tell me that at least some of this change is because the new mayor has moved ahead with knocking down a lot of old buildings in the name of “urban renewal.” High rise structures (currently still under construction) are to take the place of the old six-story structures. Kuming is "growing up."

Another factor is that Kunming seems to have “been discovered” as a study destination, causing demand for convenient lodging to exceed supply. That equation always leads to price increases. Being "on the map" instead of "off the beaten track" has its down side.

Belated reply: 96 square meters, two bedrooms, appliances and furniture included, 2,300 RMB per month. About 30 minutes by bus and shank's mare to the main university area.

Wouldn't recommend it if you want to be going back and forth during the day. Also the neighborhood has lots of construction and lacks some simple conveniences found closer to the center of the city.

• 11 months later...

To update this thread for those considering Kunming, I should let you know that the housing market is much tighter than it was last year. I spent most of this week looking diligently and finally gave up and settled into a small residential hotel. Will continue hunting at a more leisurely pace as my study schedule permits.

Found some small places about 45 to 50 平方米 in size going for about what I paid in 2009 and 2010 for places twice as big. It is a seller's market and prime properties are snapped up within 24 hours of being listed. Landlords seem less likely to make concessions; they hold all the cards. You may still do OK if you want to share a flat with roommates.

Kunming itself has more than doubled in population in the past 20 years and is having major infrastructure growing pains. Case in point is the Beijing Lu 北京路 metro construction project. It is one of the city's main north south arteries but it really snarls traffic severely in all directions. Going east to west involves crossing the construction zone, which causes long delays. To make matters worse, cars have multiplied real fast here and the roads cannot accommodate the strain of the increase. Rush hour is crack of dawn till after dark.

It's my personal opinion that the bloom is off the rose here in Kunming; it is no longer the Promised Land. You need to think twice about coming here. Sorry to have to say that.

you can still find some reasonable apartments in 江岸小区 behind the carrefour, only

ten minutes by bus to yunnan normal. i rented there a couple years ago for 700/month,

now going for 1400.

checked with a few agents there last month, you can still find a 1/1/1 furnished for

you can still find some reasonable apartments in 江岸小区 behind the carrefour,

Thanks. I'll have a look. Do you know if those are in older, "walk-up" buildings or in newer high rise structures? Doesn't really matter which, just wondering.

Now that I have a simple pied a terre, I can look around in a less frantic manner. I'm sure there are decent places out there, it's just that I haven't found one yet. I can spend up to 2,000 Yuan per month and want to have an apartment with functional kitchen where I can cook at least some of my meals.

these are all older buildings. 6 floors. subdivision was built in three phases, the

oldest phase near 小菜园,with the newest section towards the 2nd ring road. sandwiched

in between 龙泉路 and the river. many have been renovated over the years, some seem

quite modern inside. i believe these are scheduled for de拆tion within a year or so,

short term you'll be fine.

you can take bus 10 or 55, only four stops to yunnan abnormal. at the main intersection,

白云路 and 龙泉路 there's carrefour, kfc, and watson's. directly behind c4 is a veggie

market.

you'll find several real estate agents on 白云路, but try the one inside the housing area.

from the veggie market, cross the street, and through the metal gate. just ask someone

to direct you to the office where you pay your gas bill. should be next door. she's the

one who told me about the 4th floor furnished pad for 1200. i think i have her business

card here somewhere. if i find it, i'll pm you the phone number.

• 3 months later...

Wow, don't scare me like that... I'm considering going to Kunming for 1-year studies since September 2011 and I have been relying on all the "Kunming is cheap!" voices (even my upper classmate who was there 2009~2010 told us she managed to find a very cheap place almost immediately). Since I'm going with my girlfriend and school dorms don't allow us to live together, I want to rent an apartment. We need just even a very small apartment near the Yunnan Normal University (probably), NOT any luxury, just a place with some basic furniture etc. - only for us two instead of a dormitory. Is it real to get it for about 1200-1400 or less now?

• 3 months later...
I have been relying on all the "Kunming is cheap!" voices (even my upper classmate who was there 2009~2010 told us she managed to find a very cheap place almost immediately).

Kunming is changing faster than most folks realize. 2009 rents are significantly higher now and the market is much tighter.

Is it real to get it for about 1200-1400 or less now?

I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else can advise you better.

I wound up renting a real small flat (just under 50 square meters) for 1,800 a month. It is in a pretty new apartment complex in a convenient location, so you could still be able to find something older in a more out of the way place.

• 1 year later...

How is the situation now, in 2013? We are moving to Kunming next week considering two possibilities. The Yunnan University offered us accommodation in the school dormitories (mixed-gender rooms are allowed), but I was not able to find any information or reviews concerning the price or quality of the dorms.

But renting an apartment near the school seems to me as a preferable option. Do you think we would be able to find decent apartment for about 1500-2000 RMB/month? (We have been living in quite miserable conditions last few months in Beijing, so I would like to find something more acceptable now.)

#11 -- Best bet would probably be to start out in the dorm and then look around. That way you won't have the pressure of having to decide until you have gotten the lay of the land and have developed a feel for what neighborhoods might be most convenient.

You can almost surely find something decent in the price range you mention. Another option, once you are here, is to share a larger flat with another couple. Usually works out cheaper for all concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we arrived to Kunming last Monday and after three days of negotiations with the agencies and landlords we finally gave up and decided to stay at the school dorms.

The apartments offered by the agencies around the Yunnan University are quite a disaster, old, dirty, for about 3000 RMB (but we did not negotiate, since the apartments were not acceptable even for 1000). Apartments in relatively new buildings are from 4000 RMB. Then we met a landlord recommended by our new schoolmate, she asked 1800 for unfurnished one-room (about 40m) apartment in a relatively new building near the Zoo or 2500 for furnished bigger (60m) one-room apartment in the same building. The prices were definitely negotiable.

Since we will stay in Kunming only until the end of June, the potential landlord would probably ask for six months contract anyway, plus the deposit, plus the hassle with the contract, fees, police registration and so on, so we decided to stay at the school dorms.

I am sure it is possible to find decent apartment in the area for 2000 RMB or less, but it will take time to find it.

• Like 1