Chinese-Forums

中华人民...

TCcookie

A couple nights ago my mind was racing, and for some reason I thought of the PRC's name: 中华人民共和国, and I made a realization. Now, my Chinese skills aren't that great, but wouldn't this be better translated as Chinese People's Republic rather than People's Republic of China?

This may seem like a silly thing, but I found it fascinating for the insight it potentially gives on Chinese ideas of race and nationality. Can anyone enlighten me?

This may seem like a silly thing, but I found it fascinating for the insight it potentially gives on Chinese ideas of race and nationality.

not really. that's the English name. Chinese people use the Chinese language to describe their ideas of race and nationality.

Thank you for dismissing my curiosity and negating my sense of excitement and interest.

No one has to talk about issues I alluded to, but someone could at least humor me and answer the question I directly asked. Goodness, some inaugural "serious" message....

I don't think ideas of race or nationality have anything to do with it. It's just a matter of language differences in the case of the Chinese name and historical reasons in the case of the English name. In the Chinese name, 共和国 must come last, because it serves as the noun in the name. Regarding the English name, the country was always called China even before the existence of the PRC; so to call it the Chinese People's Republic would be strange. So, the only way to keep China in the name is to put it at the end, thus the People's Republic of China.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

I'm not terribly far in my Chinese studies, so I am rather ignorant of naming conventions and certainly of a lot of syntactical issues. So I gues "中华" and "人民" both separately modify "共和国,",then?

Could the problem be that there are two ways to parse 中华人民共和国. If you understand it as (中华 人民) (共和 国), then the phrase would mean "the Republic of the Chinese People." If you understand it as (中华) (人民 共和国), I think it would mean: "the People's Republic that is Chinese."

I think the same ambiguity exists in English. "People's Republic of China" can mean either "the Chinese 'People's-Republic'" or "The 'Chinese People's' Republic."

By the way, isn't the idea of a "people's republic" a communist term of art?