Chinese-Forums

Amount of time to get into a position?

aelfwyne

I have a BA in English/History, and some minor teaching experience under my belt here in the states, so I'm confident I'll be able to get into a teaching position in China.. My question is, how long before I'd like to actually be IN China should I apply?

Obviously, the process of getting a Visa to work can take some time - I assume this is the longest part of the process other than simply scheduling when a specific job wants someone to start?

I ask this because I have seen some postings that are looking for someone to start "right away" yet they talk about helping you get your Visa, etc. I thought getting the passport/visa would take longer than "right away"..

So, generally, is the FIRST step to apply, THEN get the passport/Visa, or do you need to prepare any of these things BEFORE applying to jobs - although the Visa requires a local sponsor?

Just trying to plan how long it normally takes to get into your first position.

Thanks,

Alvin

I went to Beijing last year, within less than 10 days i had 3 offers of work...I chose the one i thought was best and started 3 days later.

I worked there for 6 months and then thought i should change, i looked online to find another City to work in...this time it took less than 1 week to find a good offer.

I have no degree, no teaching certificates, before Beijing i had no experience.

Now i have a Z Visa, I got it via the company i worked with in Beijing.

They will ask you to enter on a tourist Visa, you can get a 1 month easy...it can be extended one month at a time upto 3 months in Beijing...

Ive spoken to some people who were able to get much longer Visa's before they came 3 or 6 months...if you can get one maybe its best.

If the school says they will get you a Visa it is done after you come into China, they just convert Tourist into work.

I personally would suggest you first move here and then check things out. You probably get better money and can screen out the super dodgy ones by at least going there and having a look.

What is bringing you to China? Not just a desire to teach English I assume?