Chinese-Forums

Unexpected readings of phonetic components

chrix

番 = fān

宀 , mián + 番, fān = 審, shěn / pán ?

禺 = yú

亻, rén + 禺, yú = 偶, ǒu?

審 is 宷 and 田. Not phono-semantic.

禺 虞俱切; 偶 五口切. Pullyblank says [ŋuə̆] and [ŋəw] respectively.

岔 = chà: 分 = fēn / fèn, 山 = shān. means fork(s), like "Fork(s) in the road", etc...

叉, chā: 丶= zhǔ, 又 = yòu. Fork(s) [as eating utensils.]

岔 & 叉: They're both translated as "forks" in English and they're both "cha" but with different tones in Chinese pronunciation?!

What's the possibility that two Chinese words with similar pronunciations in Mandarin [but they are the same pronunciation in Cantonese] would end up being translated into English using the same word, with the same number of letters even though their function is a bit different?

Will the real "fork" / "cha" please stand up?

How come 叉燒 / 叉烧 is a type of food rather than "The roasting or burning of forks"?

See Wikipedia here for entry of 叉燒 / 叉烧: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_siu

Edited by trien27

• 4 weeks later...

[Hope this is not a repeat, too lazy to check...]

勺 (sháo) vs 約 (yuē) vs 的 (de)

How come 叉燒 / 叉烧 is a type of food rather than "The roasting or burning of forks"?

Refers to food cooked on a fork.

• 1 month later...

Random question about this thread:

At what point would considering these exceptions become useful? Some time ago, Chrix (I think) commented on a thread of mine that I should consider studying these exceptions. Of course, a beginner at Chinese would probably find little benefit in this, but it presumably is helpful for advanced students. Right now I have some knowledge of around 1500 characters and am always looking for new tricks (you know, the magic solution) for remembering the Hanzi.

What do you think? Thanks.

David

Dear Jbradfor,

樂 (yue4 or le4) vs 爍 (shuo4) vs 藥 (yao4).

[bTW, what's up with the simplification for this one? 乐 and 烁 vs 药?]

乐 is from the cursive handwriting for 樂.

葯 is a common variant for 藥 so they just used 药 with a cursive handwriting simplification for the "silk" part.

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

At what point would considering these exceptions become useful?

David

Knowing that they exist and what they're like is sufficient IMO. Besides that I don't find any value in seeking them out.

• 3 weeks later...

岔 = chà: 分 = fēn / fèn, 山 = shān. means fork(s), like "Fork(s) in the road", etc...

叉, chā: 丶= zhǔ, 又 = yòu. Fork(s) [as eating utensils.]

岔 & 叉: They're both translated as "forks" in English and they're both "cha" but with different tones in Chinese pronunciation?!

What's the possibility that two Chinese words with similar pronunciations in Mandarin [but they are the same pronunciation in Cantonese] would end up being translated into English using the same word, with the same number of letters even though their function is a bit different?

You mean like

燕 yàn = swallow

咽 yàn = swallow

?

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...