Chinese-Forums

Where to start...

snowden

Hi,

I'm an Australian who recently graduated with a BA in history. The prospect of living in China and experiencing the culture properly has been quite alluring for some time. I just wanted to assess my chances of landing around a 6 month placement somewhere.

As someone with no specific teaching qualification or any real teaching experience, do I stand much of a chance at receiving a placement?

Where are the best places to look for positions? I've seen plenty of anecodtal evidence on some forums of people getting screwed over by schools and landing in some dodgy programs.

Thanks

You should look into a program in Canada from Harry Cotton I forgot what it is called but it is only a 2 week or 1 month program and you get a Bachelors in teaching language. The methods are really awesome and it is well worth it to have the qualifications and then you can for sure get a job! Also it is really reasonable! Only like 2000 dollars or something. Sorry so vague!

Hey Snowden,

If you have a BA and are an native english speaker you can teach most places.

I would research a place in China that you want spend more of your time and then search online for universities or schools in the city in that region and apply directly.

If you want to go to a place for travel purposes I suggest China's south west, Kunming or Guilin are nice places.

If you want to Study Chinese then the north-east, Beijing or my city Nanjing have histories of Chinese and very standard Chinese speakers. (Close to the national Putonghua)

Be careful of training centers which make you teach more than 20 hours a week. Also do a search online for reviews about the school you choose just in case there is something wrong with it.

Good luck

Simon:)

I think teaching well is a skill in itself. However the qualifications that schools are looking for in hiring teachers from abroad is being a Native English speaker. Many Chinese schools have trouble teaching oral English so that is the niche that most western teachers fill.

I don't make the rules.

There is also significant job discrimination if you are not a caucasian.

good luck,

Simon:)

"If you are a native English speaker, you can teach English."

That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I think 'can' in this sentence doesn't mean 'have the skills to, be good at' but more 'will be able to get hired to'.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a job in a government school; use private schools for moonlighting only.

Be sure to enter the country on a Z (work) visa, not an L (tourist) visa; employers who tell you they can convert L visas are lying.

China is a wondrous, wonderful place to be -- if you get off on the right foot with a Z visa.