Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Thank you all!!

by the way, which kind of visa students who won a scholarship need to get?? is it for free? i mean: does hanban pay it for you?

and does this visa let you going back to homeland and coming back to china during the famous chunjie?

As far as I know, you get a visa in your country, and with this one you can stay in China for one month, and in China you get a student's visa. At least this was the case with my groupmates who got the CSC scholarship before. I really doubt that Hanban would cover these costs, so you have to pay for it on your own.

Another thing: do you contact regularly with the host institutes? I don't know that I should send them an e-mail or not...

Assuming you are coming for a year course, you will apply for a student (X) visa in your home country. When you get to China you will need to apply for a residence permit. The university will handle the application for you, you might need to turn up and have your photo taken, maybe do a medical (again), but it's pretty straightforward and the university handles hundreds of them every year - it can look confusing and time-consuming, but you'll survive.

Unless you have documents actually saying that visa and residence permit costs are covered, I'd assume you have to pay them yourself.

Once you have that residence permit you can come and go from China as often as you like.

• Like 1

thank you all again, you removed all my doubts :)

ZhangKaiRong: i'm not in contact with the university i would like to go, i am not sure if that's a good thing. you will come in contact with people who don't manage scholarship, so i think it would be a waste of time but.....glad to be wrong!

Hello guys,

I think the CIS website was updated today with the verdicts by Hanban. I was accepted, while my friend was not awarded the scholarship.

What is the next step? should I contact the my university now?

Good luck to everyone!

Roy

CIS website was updated? :shock: Where? When?

Do you refer to your application status after you logged in to your account? The status "已确认" only means that you have been confirmed as a candidate by your recommending institution, it doesn't have any connection to Hanban. Moreover, Hanban hasn't even seen our application materials yet - they only come into to picture after the decision of the host universities, because Hanban makes the final decision about your application.

You can contact your host universities, though :)

Yeah, it means that your application can go to the next level (=can be submitted to the host institutions), and your friend's application failed at the recommending institution. But the Hanban in China doesn't have to do anything with your application - yet (in post #96, I've written how the application procedure works). Hanban is the last station of the whole process.

But it seems good enough that we are over the first phase - now we only have to wait three weeks for the reply of the host universities. If we get the admission letter from one of the host institutes, then I don't see a good reason why Hanban could reject the application. So cross your fingers, I hope everyone can go to China :)

BtW, RoyT, which universities have you applied for? :)

I'm glad to see a confucius scholarship related thread here!

I, too, applied this year. No one else seems to have applied in my areas confucius institute because they just sent my things to hanban and the university I picked.

Now I am worried, too, because I still have "确认中" in my status. I fear that the university I picked (nanjing daxue) is way too popular and I won't be picked because I'm not from a partner university. On the other hand there is still time till june 5th officially!

@ RoyT, I think you have higher chances because the host institution will (most likely) forward your application to hanban but after that everything is open again. Because hanban still have to chose to whom they give the scholarship! Nevertheless your chances are higher!

@xuefang: Contact your recommending institute. The CIS online system is really horrible, so it can happen that they confirmed your application, but the online system has not saved the status change.

@anya: 已录取? I haven't seen this status yet, but yeah, it seems that one of your host institutions confirmed your enrollment. Congratulations! :) Can I ask you which university have you applied for? They are so quick, normally the host institutions decide about the students at the end of May...

@mayuuuc: You should contact your recommending institution, like xuefang, because 确认中 indicates a problem on behalf of the recommending institution.

@RoyT: As far as I experienced - after failing three Chinese Government Scholarships due to my country's decisions -, there is no such thing like guaranteed success regarding the Chinese scholarships :P But I can't see the logic behind being denied by an institution which has recommended you for the scholarship :D So it can be seen as a sure thing, congratz to you as well! :)

@mayuuuc: Yeah, but it's quite unlikely from the Hanban to reject the scholarship from applicants who already got a letter of admission from one of the host universities. It's simply not reasonable, because they also have to do something about those who got rejected by host universities. It's more likely that these candidates fail the scholarship, not those ones who were given an admission letter.

And I don't know if it's country-based or not, but from my country I don't know any past scholarship candidates who were rejected by Hanban after getting recommended by the Embassy and after getting a letter of admission from one of the host unis. So in the past five years, no one from my country got rejected. Though, our country only has 15 scholarships in total, and the Embassy confirms only 15 candidates from all applicants...

It is getting weird. After logging in to my account, this is what's under my registration number:

状态:“推荐机构择优确认中”- 推荐

(意见:同意推荐)

What the hell is it? :shock:

My status also changed to 已确认. Seems like the processing of my files takes longer then others.

@ZhangKaiRong

I didn't even know it went through the embassy! At least not in my country, or maybe they never revealed that step to me. So in your words 已录取 would indicate that it is almost guaranteed to get the scholarship?

Mine is:

状态:“推荐机构择优确认中”- 推荐

意见:该申请者在所有奖学金申请人中综合评分位居前列,予以推荐

I suppose the meaning of this status is that my confucius recommend me because of my credentials

Is there someone here who can confirm my idea?

@ZhangKaiRong

My account is saying the same thing! I would really like to know what it means.

Edit: Could it mean that the recommending institute has approved and now Hanban has to make the final decision?