Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Sharon_Too I've read it again and it says nothing like what you've mentioned. :shock:  I also showed it to my Chinese teacher and she didn't mention this. 

Yeah, I also noticed that there is no deadline...even the universities haven't provided any deadlines yet on their official pages (the newest information is from 2014!! :shock: )

Anyways, @艾墨本 , my teacher told me if there is no 1 + 2 years category this year, I should just apply for one year now and later if I pass HSK 5 in China, I'd apply for the MTCSOL from there...but then we realized that in the Application instructions file, where they show how you should register and apply (with pictures) that on one of the pictures my category is shown....I think it was on page 14, so I don't know what's going on. :wall

@方茹婷 Are you sure you downloaded the zip file for 2017? It's clearly written “南亚师资” here:

Anyway all details are online and you can also double check with your target school (also check if any additional documents are required or separate university application is necessary)

IMG_20170313_171822.jpg

IMG_20170313_171756.jpg

• Like 1

@Sharon_Too Oh yeah, now I see it on the page 11 as well, that it is only for those countries...now I feel utterly shook. :cry: 
That's a bit unfair I think that my country is not listed, as it is small and not really rich. :lol: 
I wish they supported other students too, because that'd be a pity if I couldn't go because I can't pay for the expensive plane ticket every year. XD 

About the deadlines...trust me, I didn't find anything on the official pages of my target universities (as of yesterday), and now I'm starting to panic. 

• Like 1

Well, it doesn't really matter if the country is poor or anything. I think these 7 countries are just in urgent need of Chinese teachers and Hanban wants to provide extra incentives. Anyway, to have a full scholarship (or even partial) covering all tuition, accomodation and even living expenses is already way too good to be true. Scholarship winners should really count their blessings and make sure the government did a wise choice in investing in them. Personally I'd rather they spend the money in providing smaller scholarships to more people than splurge on just a few and even spend on return tickets EACH year (which is not necessary at all and would be more wisely spent exploring China and even voluntering for a cause)...

Anyway, yes no deadlines nowhere. But those who wait until the last days are not that motivated, are they? Teachers are also already tired and fed up of going through the hundreds of applications by then. The earlier the better.

• Like 1

@Sharon_Too Yes, you're totally right, I didn't really mean it, I'd be more than grateful if I was chosen to study in China...but even my teachers don't help with at least a little bit of information so I really don't know what to do anymore... :( 
Thank you very much for the information, I also want to apply as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Just needed to come here to celebrate that I finally got my letter of recommendation filled out (after many bumps along the way) and submitted my application to study a year of Chinese at Beijing Normal University as my number one and East China Normal University as my second choice. 

So excited!

• Like 4

I'm glad you got it, I also informed my CI about the recommendation letter and my Chinese teacher asked me to write a summary of my Chinese studies, so the director can write the letter. :D 
Btw, I saw that they need a copy of "highest notarized diploma" or something which I won't be able to submit in time, as I'll get my degree at the end of June. Do you guys know what else can I submit instead? Do they accept a document saying when I'll graduate? I hope I can get something like this at my university. 

@艾墨本 Best of luck!

@方茹婷 You should ask for a certificate of expected graduation (学籍证明), it says that if you pass all your exams and reach the min credit required, you'll graduate on X month. Your teacher surely knows about it, alternatively you can baidu a template.

But do pay attention that some scholarships are not available for those graduating the same year.

@Sharon_Too Hmm, how do I know which scholarship is not available for me? Anyways, I'll graduate in June. 
Another thing: my teacher told me that maybe it'd be better if first I applied for 1 year scholarship and when I finished that one in China, I'd apply for the MTCSOL in China. Is it possible? To apply for a scholarship WHILE I'm in China (with a scholarship)? 

Well you just have to carefully read application requirements for each scholarship you're interested in. Which one do you plan to apply for the one year? For example, the one year program for CIS specifically excludes those graduating after January 2017. But no apparent restriction for applying for MTCSOL when in China. Are you sure the 1+2 years program is no longer available? I heard some people get CGS twice, like Angelina, but I don't know about CIS.

I remember last year I wanted to apply for University program via Shanghai International and they refused because of I was going to graduate the same year. This year Sun Yat Sen Uni has exactly the same restriction. So you should also check with the host institution you're targeting.

IMG_20170317_233953.jpg

IMG_20170317_235035.jpg

@方茹婷 Guess what, when you click "Yes" for specific agreements with Hanban, you can choose 1+2 program.

I don't know how you can get those agreements though. Maybe it's only for applicants already teaching.

1.png

2.png

@Sharon_Too What the...I have no idea what this specific agreement is. :shock:
Anyways, I definitely want to apply for the CIS and for the 1 + 2 year and it seems it still does have this kind of category...
My teacher has just told me, that the one you indicated means that if you are studying IN CHINA and graduate after January 2017, you can't apply for a CIS 1 year scholarship. But that's not true for me, so I guess it's okay. 

I think I'm going crazy right now......... :wall

Edit: I'd read the scholarship requirements with pleasure but my level is just HSK 3, I don't understand everything. :) 

@方茹婷 Keep calm and learn Mandarin :D Try asking your recommending institution or ask Hanban directly. If you manage to get the agreement, then no need to apply for 1 year, then you don't have the graduating-this-year problem. PS don't put all your trust in Chinese teachers in mentioning everything you need to know at the right time, it seldom happens.

Hello everyone! My CI told me that I'm not allowed to apply government and CIS scholarship at the same time. I know that I have to choose one if I get two, but haven't heard anything about that rule. Anyone have same problem or heard anything about that?

11 hours ago, Ange said:

Hello everyone! My CI told me that I'm not allowed to apply government and CIS scholarship at the same time. I know that I have to choose one if I get two, but haven't heard anything about that rule. Anyone have same problem or heard anything about that?

I have not heard that specifically stated but have read a story on this forum of someone getting accepted to both and as a result having a headache. One was just automatically canceled, but it was the one he/she wanted more.

I only applied for one based on this story. 

I have not heard that specifically stated but have read a story on this forum of someone getting accepted to both and as a result having a headache. One was just automatically canceled, but it was the one he/she wanted more.

I only applied for one based on this story. 

...and then apply for the other one next year!

Good luck with it all! Studying Chinese on a scholarship is a wonderful opportunity.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1