Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

1 minute ago, Jellyfish said:

For anyone who's thinking about contacting their host uni, based on my positive experience: always use Chinese, keep it brief and to the point (you don't want to bore them), be complimentary about the department/uni/China and describe your relevant qualifications, interests, what have you.

Yes, very good recommendations! And if I may add, don't go to XISU (aka Xi'an International Studies University aka 西安外国语大学). If anyone was considering this university, choose the two other and much better options in Xi'an (Xi'an Jiaotong Daxue and Shaanxi Shifan Daxue). If you still need a never-ending list of reasons why this university is terrible, just drop me a message (seriously, I'd like to help anyone avoid living here).

• Like 2

@Jellyfish Actually I checked her Spanish blog at first instance, and I was especially careful to upload every document correctly. 

After I submitted the application on April's 16th I moved to the 2nd stage (from 未提交 to 推荐机构审核) in the following few days I guess, and it hasn't moved since then. 

The point is that I told about this situation to the Institute where I study Chinese in Spain and their answer is: OK, just wait. 

I personally don't get it, and I don't know what to do. They just didn't "press the button" to recommend me and they won't. I'm gonna contact my institute now through email to politely urge them, and see what happens.

Hello,

Somebody know how to find a list of university who have 一学年研修生/One-Academic-Year Study for :

- 汉语国际教育/Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages,TCSOL

- 汉语言文学/Chinese Language and Literature

- 中国历史/Chinese History

I already have a bachelor/master in Chinese studies and study 2 years in China for I probably can't be granted of a 1 year languages but in the same time I don't think I will be enought confident for start a 汉语国际教育专业硕士/MTCSOL. 

@hoshinoumi Thanks, I am going to check that. 

Sorry I send my message before finish to write it so I post two times.

So, I found that and I will not be able to apply if I am in China :/

3.一学年研修生  20179月入学,资助期限为11个月。不录取201711日后仍在华学习的留学生

3.1  向来华进修的在职汉语教师、预备攻读汉语国际教育硕士学位的汉语相关专业学生提供汉语国际教育课程和全额奖学金。申请者HSK成绩应达到三级270分(培养目标为五级180分),具有HSKK成绩。

3.2  向有志于从事汉语翻译、汉学研究的学生和学者分别提供汉语言文学、中国历史、中国哲学高级课程。申请者HSK成绩应达到四级180分,HSKK达到中级。按国别、报名先后和汉语水平高低分别提供全额奖学金或部分奖学金。

15 minutes ago, Kemian said:

不录取201711日后仍在华学习的留学生

That's the same condition as last year. You can't apply for the one-year program if you are currently enrolled as a student in China, this was the same as last and I think previous years back to 2014. Don't overthink this either - it's unclear as to whether this means you are currently in China actually enrolled in attending school or whether you currently hold a valid student visa. If you have a student visa with an entry on it that can be used, then I'd be cautious about applying for the one-year program. Ensure the visa is invalid for entry to China or better still get it formally canceled somehow (because it's possible to leave China and still have a valid student visa for entry to China especially if you were issued the student visa within the mainland), otherwise leave the country and then apply for the one year program - this is the safest bet.

@Luxin That's really strange. Did you get the impression that they didn't want to recommend you for some reason? Maybe they're still waiting for other applicants and want to send the applications all off together, but that's a bit unfair towards you seeing as you've submitted your application so early. Do get in touch with them, be polite and just explain that you're concerned about the hold up because you're worried that universities might fill their CIS places early. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

• Like 1

@Luxin which CI are you studying in right now? Drop me a dm if you want to keep it private, I'll try to check with friends what's wrong with either them or your application, see if that can speed up the process. I'd get very frustrated if that ever happened to me, seeing as you turned it in pretty quickly.

• Like 1

@Jellyfish 

I politely urged them and I was moved to the third step 接收院校审核 within the next 30 minutes. As I thought it was too easy for them, they just didn't know that they had to do a movement for me, pathetic... 

Do you think I am late?  I am a little bit worried because I chose two popular universities in Beijing and as you said they might be filling their places very quickly. 

• Like 1

@Luxin Yay, I'm so glad you've managed to get it submitted to your uni! I actually don't know about late applications and all that - my CI deadline was back in April sometime, I didn't even realise that the "official" deadline was in May or June until I found this forum. Maybe others know more? My guess would be that you're still good in early/mid May if the deadline is at the end of May or June (the opinions seem to differ on the exact date).

One thing that kind of puzzles me - is the status report we can check updated automatically or manually? Ie will the status change from stage 2 (CI) to stage 3 (uni) as soon as your application has been submitted OR does your CI/your uni have to confirm the status update separately to update the application status page which the applicant can view and check? Because to me it almost sounds like your CI maybe already sent off your application a while ago, just didn't press the button for the application status page. Otherwise, why would they tell you to wait (knowing that they have your application just sitting there gathering digital dust)?

• Like 1

@Jellyfish 

I was told that the deadline was at the end of April, so I didn't know about the official deadline. It's good to know.

My institute didn't know about the procedure to follow. They misthough that the second stage means "Hanban China is selecting candidates". That is why they didn't send anything off.

Apparently once they placed a phone call my status was updated very quickly. 

• Like 1

@LuxinI also didn't know about the official deadline but a lot of people here are talking about a May deadline (and I've seen at least one mention a June deadline!) so... Yeah, but our deadline was in April, too. Does your CI have any contacts in your chosen unis? I think they should really let them know that your application is arriving late due to a mistake they made (or if they don't want to own up to it they can just talk about a hold up or technical error or something). It won't mean much if the uni has already filled all their places (which here's hoping they haven't) but if they haven't done that and if they're sympathetic (like my uni were) then that might speed up the third stage of your application and get it forwarded to Hanban quicker. Worth a shot perhaps? I really feel that with CSC and CIS applications, polite persistance wins the day.

4 hours ago, Jellyfish said:

One thing that kind of puzzles me - is the status report we can check updated automatically or manually? Ie will the status change from stage 2 (CI) to stage 3 (uni) as soon as your application has been submitted OR does your CI/your uni have to confirm the status update separately to update the application status page which the applicant can view and check?

From my previous experience, it's manual. That's why there are so many different status updates information you can get in brackets. Also, last year  people on this forum commented some status that either me or the rest didn't get, so it seems some universities may update every single step they go through, while others may just go from "reviewing" to "accepted/rejected".

• Like 1

Hi guys, my status was still on “推荐机构审核” and when my recommending agency (HSK Center in Mauritius) called Hanban, they said I should change HSK Center to Chinese Embassy (don't know why). But I can't withdraw my application, I think there's no such function on CIS's application system (unlike the new CSC one). Does that mean I have to make a new application? My documents are already at my target university and a new application would possess a different application number, right? What do you think, is there any other way?

@Sharon_Too If you apply via your embassy, that's a different type of scholarship (not CIS but CSC). That's why you don't have the option of changing that in your CIS application - you need to use a different application portal: http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/

I think most embassies' application deadlines closed long ago (in the UK they did anyway) but you might be able to submit a late application and go on a waiting list? I do know that some unis are still looking for good CSC applicants and haven't filled their quota yet (Wuhan for example). Do contact your embassy and ask them what your options are. One of my contacts at Fudan university did say that CIS is much more competitive than CSC (it's beyond me why - CSC seems like the better scholarship and would be my first choice!) so maybe you do have a better chance for a CSC scholarship!

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

• Like 1