Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Jellyfish Thanks for replying so fast. 

I know embassies normally file CSC applications only (which I applied as well but via university independant program). I'm still talking about CIS. I emailed Hanban and they just told me only Chinese Bridge winners can be recommended for CIS by the embassy.

My HSK Center is having issues with the 审核procedure. I tried creating a second account but to no avail because my passport number cannot be used twice. 

Now waiting for my target university's (ECNU) opinion. 

By the way, here's their contact details (if anyone needs it):

http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/EN/msg.php?id=6

My HSK center said they'll further inquire and find a solution... :wall

Don't know if I still stand a chance since @艾墨本 who also applied for ECNU already went through his interview... Hopefully they've just started interviewing language program applicants only. Time to cross fingers and burn prayer candles...:lol:

IMG_20170510_121955.jpg

• Like 1

@Sharon_Too Ah I see, yes, you can apply for CIS as a Chinese Bridge winner, that's the option in your application "Special Agreements with Hanban" or something along those lines. Did you win Chinese Bridge? Well done! :clap

So did you contact you embassy about this? What exactly is the issue with your application anyway, why does it need to be reviewed? What programme did you apply for? Thanks for sharing the contact details with everyone :)

@Jellyfish I wished I won the Chinese Bridge but I didn't... Actually I was supposed to apply via my local CI but it's only 4 months old at the time (6 months min required). So plan B was HSK Center (Chinese Cultural Center), and it's their first time recommending a student for CIS, that's why they're not familiar with the procedure. They said they can't get in the review system but the embassy can. The Cultural Center has close ties with the embassy so they thought they can simply switch recommending institutions, without knowing that online applications cannot be retrieved nor can someone register twice. So I can only wait and see what their HQ comes up with.

I applied for MTCSOL for this September.

40 minutes ago, Jellyfish said:

Seems like there really is nothing you can do but wait and hope

Keep calling in checking in. Offer to help. Ask another HSK center what your HSK center should be doing. I can think of some things to do to try and move this along. @Sharon_Too Don't rely on your CI figuring this out. I doubt they care as much about this opportunity as you and Chinese people are notorious for their fear of 麻烦. Did I just stereotype? :roll:

• Like 1

@艾墨本  is right of course, checking in regularly and offering to help is key! Didn't mean to sound negative or discouraging in my earlier post, I'm usually the queen of politely hassling everyone and anyone who could possibly help me haha. I just meant that the technicalities of this situation are so beyond me that I wouldn't even know where to begin and who to ask for help. Asking another HSK centre to help you (as in, @Sharon_Too) and your HSK centre sounds like the best idea though, good shout!

14 hours ago, Sharon_Too said:

But I can't withdraw my application, I think there's no such function on CIS's application system

There is but you have to email them requesting a 驳回. They did it for me. They can overrule (驳回) your application from their end, then you will be able to edit your whole 在线申请表。

Have you filled out the 推荐人信息 part of the form and 按了保存?I had some trouble last year with 拉筹伯大学孔子学院 not being seeing my application on the system (the director blamed me for not uploading documents despite the fact I had uploaded everything he told me to), so against the director's word I filled out the 推荐人信息 section despite him not yet having written the 推荐信 and 按了保存。Then he was able to see it as expected, but of course it was already too late to apply for the scholarship.

• Like 1

@Jellyfish haha I wish. I wish I could say I was calm and collected during the exam but I actually wasn't. My hands kept shaking and one of the teachers actually tried to calm me down lol. It was God's Grace basically.

I've started on my application. I should be getting my passport tomorrow or the next, so as soon as I've got that, I'll send the application. I have a question though... When picking University choices, My teacher says it must be my CI's partner which is the Beijing Institute of Technology. I'm not sure I'm so keen though. Is it the same for every other CI? What are the chances of me being accepted to a non-partner university?

Hello :) I am new in the forums and I'm glad I found some place where you can discuss CIS scholarship.

What bugs the most, is how mysterious is Hanban in its operations - I, as many others I assume, have applied for one year scholarship in Guangzhou (South China Normal University). In CIS system I have only 3 dots, while some people have already 4 of them. Actually, some people have already received a scholarship! And some has already got e-mail that they got rejected. :( So I was wondering, what decides on informing some people this quickly, while making others wait? Is is that Hanban starts with the best HSK scores and then goes to other applicants, or is it just the way individual universities work?

Hope someone can help me understand this, as you can expect, I am getting pretty nervous with all this stuff :D 

@Opi Haha well in that case even better for you!

It's true that your chances of getting into your CI's partner university are much higher than getting into other universities. My teacher also recommended I select our CI's partner university as my first choice (though she never said it must be my first choice) which worked out well because our partner uni was my first choice anyway - I had no idea that it was also our partner uni. She also discussed alternatives with me at length though so she definitely never pushed me. I'm wondering if it's because your application is going out a bit later than mine and your teacher wants to make sure you get a place?

While you're waiting for your passport and can't send off applications anyway, it might be worth just contacting other unis you'd prefer to attend and ask what your chances are of getting accepted at this point. Obviously don't expect (and explain that you don't expect) a definitive answer, just try to scope out if they've already filled their quota.

• Like 2

@igacave 

1)  Spain. 

2)My second choice is 北京外国语大学

3)I did. 

Anyway, my HSK centre just told me that Hanban has explained them that when the first uni rejects this form, it doesn't go to the second choice uni, just in case the first uni accepts it, but it doesn't have places left, THEN they send it to the second one.  

Did you hear something like that before? 

1) I once did not win this scholarship, cause it was dediacated to students from Africa and SE Asia. But maybe something has changed. In application guide I do not find anything about that. Thou this part puzzels me: 不符合一学年研修生奖学金录取要求. 

2) Good uni, try to contact them :)

3) I hope if first uni rejects you, Hanban will find you place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luxin said:

just got an update:

经审核,该生非预备攻读汉语国际教育硕士学位的汉语相关专业学生,不符合一学年研修生奖学金录取要求,不予录取。

Is it the end?

What's your HSK score? If you read back a few pages, I was denied in a similar fashion because my HSK score already exceeded HSK 5. I'm currently waiting on my second school. However, I wasn't rejected by my school but rather was rejected my Hanban, itself. Doesn't look good for us.

• Like 1

@艾墨本

I have HSK3  295/300. It seems that the score doesn't matter at all. They just want someone who wants to study Chinese master degree, these candidates have an obvious preference. 

Is it good to contact the uni directly? Though Hanban is above the uni