Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Luxin Yup, I agree. But that's quite weird...so people cannot learn only Chinese anymore? They must continue to study for BA and MA? That's really unfair to many people... :( For me it's okay, because I want to study for MA, but it seems that I don't fit the requirements of TCSOL either...my major is not Chinese... :D So I only fit half of the requirements lol

@方茹婷 Next year the conditions may change again, depending on the results. We will see how CIS resulted this time and what Hanban have to say, because I bet they will reject a massive amount of candidates in this 2017 call.

• Like 1

@Luxin Yeah, this year we can only sit and wait for the results. But that's quite infuriating that Hanban is never able to be clear about their own scholarship. At least they could have told us in the application process instructions that this year there is no simple one-year language learning course... :conf

12 hours ago, 方茹婷 said:

Yeah, this year we can only sit and wait for the results. But that's quite infuriating that Hanban is never able to be clear about their own scholarship. At least they could have told us in the application process instructions that this year there is no simple one-year language learning course... :conf

A lot of times, there are "battles" between feuding bureaucratic sides in China (and, well, most places in the world). One side will do something just to annoy or inconvenience the other side and it has little to do with the people that they serve. I have to wonder if something like this is going on because this change just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 6:41 AM, LinZhenPu said:

There is but you have to email them requesting a 驳回. They did it for me. They can overrule (驳回) your application from their end, then you will be able to edit your whole 在线申请表。

@Luxin You can send Hanban an email explaining this and they can overrule your application allowing you to select two different universities.

Ok, so I'm thoroughly confused now. My CI was giving me the impression that all of the categories (Language and Culture, Philosophy, History etc) would involve language learning, too. It's just that your "extra courses" have a different focus. So I chose Philosophy because I majored in Philosophy at uni and I'm really interested in it - but I did think I'd get a Chinese language course with it! Did I just apply for an English taught philosophy course? :shock:

Not that it matters - I don't have HSK4 so I don't qualify for it anyway and I'm just waiting to get rejected at this point. I'm just amazed as to how clueless even the CIs themselves seem to be this year. It's 100% my own fault for not double checking if I really do qualify for the category I applied for, but my recommending CI also doesn't seem to have noticed, and on top of that gave me an apparently pretty wrong idea of the course I applied for. Omnishambles! Haha

@Opi Sure :) In comparison to last year, this year I decided to apply to my CI's partner university which is Hebei Normal University. I didn't want to risk myself anymore due to all the crazy changes that are happening.

But what is true is that each year it's getting harder and harder to win the scholarship >.< I have a couple of friends who are applying for a one-year TCSOL to Harbin and Nanjing and both universities have asked for an interview via skype. As far as I know that wasn't part of the application process last year, at least in Nanjing :/

Excuse, what are you talking about, that there is no one-year study programme? I applied for it and I had a choice of it in my CIS system. Why do you say that now you can only do a degree?

Also, about requirements, Hanban really sneakily changed requirements from HSK3 o HSK4 not long before deadline. So I guess they want to limit the amount of applicants.

@Opi lucky you to have a partner uni in Beijing :) It's unfortunate that my classmates are having trouble with their applications to Beijing unis u_u

Thank you and good luck too! According to my personal experience, last year Hanban started to grant or reject scholarships around May 20th , so hopefully we'll have news maybe next week or so >.< 

• Like 2

Yesterday my recommending institute finally approved my application online (a month after I submitted my application).

Today I received an email from my first preference saying: "we have checked your application documents and we think you are in a good position.... we will start to process your application after we receive your reply". Also asked me to confirm which accommodation I would like if accepted. 

Is it likely Hanban will reject applications if the host university has pre-accepted you?

• Like 1

Hey guys, I checked my status and I moved one more step. I got this email in the morning: 

孔子学院奖学金申请单号已经预录取

I am very worried because I also applied for TCSOL and didn't say 'yes' when asking if I want to apply for the teacher education/training program. But on the other hand I am majoring in Chinese and learning at CI so maybe it won't be a problem. 

I'm not sure what should I do at this point because after I was already on the third step, they put me back to the first step (as I indicated here previously) and I had to submit my application again with the relevant files they asked for. I got to the second step again and I have been there now, nothing changed. 

My question is: if I submitted my application again, my CI also has to upload their approval again? They already did so and it can be seen in the application status, so I don't know what is going on. :(

@dumpling98 One more step brings you to where? What's your stage now? Your statement says that you've already been pre-admitted so why are you worried?

@方茹婷 I have no idea but I'd reckon that yes, your CI does have to recommend you again, otherwise you could just randomly change tons of stuff about your application and your CI would still appear to "recommend" you even though your application has changed. The same goes for the uni - they might not accept you with the updated document (I doubt it'll be an issue in actual fact, I'm just talking about in theory here). I'd probably contact your uni, explain that you had to add your transcript to your application and that therefore they might need to approve your application a second time; ask them to look into it.

• Like 1