Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@earthtojess I don't know if it's likely for Hanban to reject, but I can assure you it has happened before since they make the last decision. Last year my classmates and I were already pre-admitted by our host unis (fourth stage) but in the end Hanban rejected us due to our low scores in the HSK 3 u__u I think it also has to do with the amount of applicants and the number of scholarships granted per country. However, as someone said before sometimes it's just luck, so now we can only wait patiently and keep our fingers crossed :) @Blckclaw by "there's not one year study program" we meant that maybe there is no possible major which teaches Chinese language only, although I've been told that TCSOL is the new language program this year. @方茹婷 yup Jelly is right ^^ I have a friend who is applying to your same uni and had the same problem as you. She went to the CI to see what was going on and they had to recommend her again:D

• Like 2

Hi, I have another question! Not sure if it's already been asked... (sorry if it has!)

When Hanban is going through the applications, any idea what they consider most? Reference letter? HSK/HSKK Scores? Previous academic performance? Application Statment?

I'm scared that I'll get rejected because I took HSK 5 and HSK intermediate. 

Thanks!

EDIT: Is this what everyone else has for the 录取 stage, "符合申请条件,择优预录取"?

@earthtojess To be honest it's quite uncertain nowadays x.x It depends on the category, the major you are applying to, the amount of applicants for each category/major in your country and a fair amount of luck sometimes. As far as I'm concerned, until two years ago if you were applying for the one year language program, in my country it was enough to have 180 in the HSK 3 exam for you to get the scholarship. But things drastically changed last year when students that had above 280 only got the scholarship. So I guess the HSK score plays an important role in Hanban's decision too. And now that things have changed once again I have no clue at all D: It's getting harder to meet the requirements since now Hanban asks for higher scores or requests to have Chinese as a major (in case of TCSOL), so I only hope Hanban will be more flexible this time :) 

Which category are you applying to? Cause if you're applying for the one year scholarship there is a possiblity that Hanban will tell you to apply for a master's degree instead (same as @艾墨本) because the aim of Hanban is for students to reach an HSK 5 level after the one year of studies in China. So it wouldn't make any sense if they accepted you since you are already on that level, do you know what I mean?

• Like 3

@earthtojess I agree with @foreigner2u, it's hard to say what's going to be the most important factor in your application. As for the 录取 stage, I don't have any review from Hanban yet. Do you mean your university review/recommendation for Hanban? All our recommendations are different, I haven't seen even just two which are identical yet. It's just the uni saying they accept you and why so I guess it doesn't matter all that much - what matters is that they forward it to Hanban for the final review.

Edited to add: And while I can see how it might not make much sense for Hanban to give the scholarship to someone with HSK5, I definitely wouldn't give up hope. It seems to be a strange year, so many application criteria have changed, the level in general seems to be crazy high now so they might well accept a low HSK5 instead of a high HSK3, for example. Good luck to you!

• Like 2

I've just checked my status and it seems that I've been pre-admitted to my first choice uni. They wrote this: 经审核,该生有攻读汉语国际教育硕士的意向,符合一学年研修生录取要求。
So yeah, I guess this year they needed a guarantee that you are going to continue your studies on Master's, so they are likely to admit people for the one-year who want to study MTCSOL. 

• Like 2

@foreigner2u@Jellyfish thanks for your responses! Yeah I was talking about the pre-admission from the host uni.  I just wish there was more info when first applying, like if there's a maximum limit it'd be good if it was specified. 

I guess now all I can do is wait patiently, hopefully we'll all find out either way soon! :) 

@earthtojess Yeah I also think you shouldn't lose hope! :) (sorry If I made you feel otherwise, that wasn't my intention at all!) T_T  I'm just saying that they might ask you to change major/category if this time they decide to stick with their requirements. As I said before, last year there was a high demand of scholarships so Hanban decided to grant them only to people with higher scores (even to people that had more than 250 in their HSK 4 when the minimum requirement was HSK3 180) I can guarantee that since I talked to several people here on this forum at that time ^^

There's also a possibility that they can be flexible with the scores this year too cause for example Jelly is applying for the Philosophy major which requires HSK4  or 方茹婷 who is applying for TCSOL but doesn't have a Chinese major and they both still got accepted by their first choice of uni! :) 

PS: About the 录取 stage, every host uni makes their own remarks, so we all might be in the same stage but have different observations ^^

• Like 3

Our teacher already prepared the contracts. I read them today and it said that I am required to pass HSK 5 after one year with 180 points. If I don't pass it I must return the money scholarship (that is not for accomodation and tutition). Oh boy, no pressure...

@Jellyfish I am scared of this cruel world. hahaha 

I am curious how doable is to get from HSK3 to HSK5 ( just passing score) in one year . Not that I would ever turn down the opportunity to go to China, but just wondering if I should just save up the money from scholarship just in case in need to return it. LOL