Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

4 hours ago, Blckclaw said:

I think it does disqualify you - while reviewing my application, the guy from the university stated, that DESPITE I have already been in China,I did not study there. Be careful and good luck.

If I understand what you are saying, since you have been to China (not to study) then you are disqualified from the application. While I'm currently in China and it has made no difference so long as I make very clear I am here to work and not to learn. I have heard this from several different sources. Living in China should not disqualify you, studying in China can, but I believe the application requirements put a timeline on that meaning if your time studying in China was greater the X years ago, then it doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

If I understand what you are saying, since you have been to China (not to study) then you are disqualified from the application.

Well, no, my application process is going smoothly, but in the examination report it was clearly stated that I have already been to China, but, since I didn't study there, I'm elligible for the scholarship. I was surprised they paid attention to it, because I mentioned my stay in China briefly in my research plan.

@艾墨本 Thank you so much - I knew I remembered something along those lines. Well that's pretty perfect then actually.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped so quickly. Here's a mini update from my application odyssey (if you can't laugh what can you do?)

So, quick recap, I found out that my application had bounced back to the university stage last week. As you all suggested, I wanted to immediately withdraw and change category to something I'm actually eligible for. My CI said that's not possible. When I kept bothering my CI about it, they finally said on Friday last week: "Let's give them (the university) until next week, if they haven't done anything by then, we'll get in touch."

On Monday, when both my CI and Fudan still hadn't been in touch I tried phoning Fudan. No reply. I emailed my CI to tell them about it. They said that it's Duanwu festival this week so most teachers in China will be off. That's something I think they could have considered last week when they told me to wait until this week but hey, nothing I could do. Yesterday morning I found my application had bounced back to the first stage (unsubmitted). I thought that was great news because it finally allowed me to change category. Fudan even noted in their review that they recommend I change category to a one semester scholarship. So I emailed my CI just to let them know what's happening and that I'm resubmitting my application for a one semester scholarship this time. My CI replied asking me to wait until today, saying they would give me a call in the morning. They did, and they said that after talking to Fudan about my case, they decided I should apply for the one semester scholarship. Which, yes, is exactly what I've been asking them to let me do for over one week now. What I said I'd do yesterday, until they stopped me and asked me to wait for their call first.

Anyway, I've now submitted my second application. I've surpassed frustration and arrived at bewildered amusement. There's a short story in there somewhere.

Good luck one and all!

• Like 3

Hello! I just received notice from the app, and it's not good AT ALL! 

按照孔院奖学金招生规定,一学年研修生如选择汉语国际教育专业课程应向在职汉语教师、预备攻读汉语国际教育硕士学位的汉语相关专业学生提供,请推荐机构再次确认申请者的身份和学习目的,现退回

I really don't understand, because as to the terms I´ve read, I don't need to be a chinese teacher to apply for the one year scholarship. (that`s why they require HSK 3 minimum). Does anybody know what could be wrong? I feel so bad right now, I don`t know how I'm going to solve this. I asked mi CI, but the probably won't answer until at least monday.:( In my letter I did say that I wanted to pursue a master teaching chinese program, so I can't think of what is the problem...Any help would be appreciated.

@地球人

As to the terms you've read, you need to show that you are undertaking a relevant Chinese major: 汉语相关专业学生提供.

I applied for the one year 汉语言文学 scholarship.

I received my own bad news, but it was expected. I was admitted by my chosen university, which is a great sign. But, Hanban is strict with the requirements.

院校审核 预录取 该生2017年1月1日以后,有在华学习经历。该生成绩优秀,态度诚恳,考虑到国别平衡,我校拟录取。 孙德胜 2017-05-26 13:55:34
预录取 未授予 依据本年度申请办法,一学年研修生不录取2017年1月1日后仍在华学习的留学生。 汉办袁礼 2017-06-02 11:25:19
未授予 未提交 请查看处理意见 汉办袁礼 2017-06-02 16:48:59

Rejected on the basis that I was still in China studying early this year.

If I'd've known these changes were coming, I would have left before the new year. I had sat the HSK4 in December. Had I sat the HSKK中级 instead of the HSKK初级 and left before January, I would probably have been awarded the scholarship.

But, old man lost his horse...

On 5/14/2017 at 7:40 PM, Luxin said:

The problem is that this year there isn't  Chinese language program for 1 academic year. Instead that there is the new TCSOL.

Where did you get this information? They definitely have the Chinese language program for 1 academic year as well as one semester. Why would they put it in the information if it wasn't available?

I've attached a list of which universities have which programs. This is included in the materials provided by the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (click on Host Institutions). It's not completely up to date, for example I've been told that universities in Harbin have all switched to TCSOL only. But there are still universities with the Chinese language program.

孔子学院奖学金接收院校(2017常规项目)常规项目.pdf

I'm sorry you didn't get it, they are definitely getting stricter each year, you should try next year, although we don't know what the new reqs will be (probably stricter). But you should be happy that you already had the opportunity to go last year! My problem was that I read the translated requirements that my CI provided, and it didn't say "relevant Chinese major required", probably because such thing doesn't exist in my country, as there aren't any Chinese universities and the course that I've been doing at my CI for 6 years apparently has no use other than learning, and it doesn't count as Chinese studies (I don't get that?). So that means it's impossible to apply to the 1 year scholarship for anyone here. Unless they've studied abroad. Now I'm going to try for the 6 month one, waiting for my CI to sign...is there any other requirement for it more than hsk3, hskk, and be a CI student? Now I'm afraid...

• Like 1

@LinZhenPu That's so unfortunate :( It seems that Hanban is really serious this year, won't let anyone slip.

About your uni: I was so sure that once your uni accepts you it is just a formality for hanban to approve your application.

Maybe I can console you: I once did not win scholarship and I have no regrets! One year after that I changed my first choice uni and I loved it there! 

@Luxin There was no '汉语言' category last year, either, just一学年研修 生. The Chinese Language and Literature category for one academic year is the Chinese language program for one academic year. Above that is the more competitive one year TCSOL program intended to prepare students for the MTCSOL. The categories are essentialy the same as last and recent previous years, just arranged slightly differently.

@igacave Thanks!

@LinZhenPu I know, you are right, but it's obviously not slightly different. Trust me when I say that I contacted the teachers of basically every single university and they told me that I don't meet the requeriments for ANY of the categories. Not even for the 1 semester 汉语言文化  (which has lower requeriments). While I know many students (not chinese major students nor teachers) in my same school who won the scholarship with a HSK3 in the previous years. And no, they didn't apply for Chinese language and literature. I'm so confused. 

• Like 1

That's ridiculous tbh, I applied for the TCSOL major this year, I 'only' have HSK3 and more than 2 weeks ago I was admitted to BLCU, and my major is not Chinese nor am I a teacher or something. I can't follow the logic of this scholarship anymore. It means that I'll also be rejected by Hanban just because my major is not Chinese? Seriously? Then if one wants to learn only Chinese for one year (and not considering his/her desire to continue to study MTCSOL), then what the heck should he/she choose?! There is only Chinese language&literature which requires HSK4 and the TCSOL requiring HSK3. But the requirements for TCSOL seem to be off too, as I don't think that Chinese teachers who would apply for the TCSOL major would have only HSK3, but definitely higher, which leads to the fact that they would rather apply for MTCSOL, not one year TCSOL. lol

• Like 1

@Luxin What is your HSK3 score?

I also don't qualify for the one year Chinese Language and Lit (or, in my case, Chinese Philosophy) scholarship, but I do qualify for the semester scholarship. All you need is HSK3 at over 210 and HSKK. I guess like all categories here, in reality it'll be a lot more competitive than these minimum requirements because you'll be competing with lots of highly qualified applicants. Technically they shouldn't dismiss your application for a half year scholarship though if you have HSK3 with over 210 points and HSKK.

I got rejected for the one year scholarship on the grounds that I don't qualify (I don't have HSK4) but they allowed me to apply for the one semester scholarship instead.

You should check with your CI and your uni and ask why they think you don't qualify.

• Like 1

@Jellyfish I got 295/300. Many universities gave me a similar answer. Although my score is very high, I don't fulfill the criteria for any category and duration. Because my major (engineering) isn't Chinese nor a major related to any language (in the case of CLL, CH and CP) which I think it is a stupid reason.

I'm at the third stage now.  Rejected by my first choice uni because that criteria, and waiting to be turned down by the second one next. 

• Like 1

@Luxin That does seem very strange, I had no issues like that. In fact, when Hanban rejected my first application they recommended I apply for a one semester scholarship - no mention of me having to be a Chinese major at uni. The university I applied to never posed any problems (and even recommended my first application where I didn't fulfil the minimum criteria). I applied to my CI's partner uni, maybe that helped?

If it's not the partner uni thing then the only explanation I can come up with is that I majored in Philosophy at uni, though I didn't take any Chinese at uni.

• Like 1

Hmm we were discussing it earlier with Luxin, that we basically applied to the same places and major and I was admitted while he wasn't...so maybe the university major does matter? My major is (was; I graduated recently) English and American Studies, so I guess my major does seem to be the reason for their choice. But this sounds so unfair...just because Luxin studies engineering, his language skills can still be excellent (just look at his HSK3 points, wow!!).

• Like 2

• New Members

Y'all are lucky. I didn't attend the same college as where my CI was so they are taking forever to advance me to the next step. They told me they would nominate me and I submitted my application about three weeks ago. They just keep telling me they are working with colleagues on how to nominate me because I'm an outside student. So annoying. I would be very frustrated if I got denied purely because of things that were out of my control. I applied for a one-year scholarship at 四川外国语大学 and 西安交通大学 with a HSK4 score of 255 and HSKK Intermediate of 72. Waiting is so difficult.... 

• Like 1

It's seeming more and more like just luck of the draw for who reviews or application materials at Hanban. Maybe the second person to look at your materials will care less about your major.

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies guys. But my bad news continues, I anticipated to contact my second choice uni before I get any update on the system and they said that they won't admit me. Basically she said that I was rejected by the first choice uni so the reason is clear that I don't match the requirements. And there is more, she said that she has read my application carefully and she is very unhappy that their uni is my second choice.

@Jellyfish I think both helped in your case, partner university and philosophy major.

@方茹婷 That's probably the key point. I was thinking of quiting my engineer job if I win this scholarship, because after all, what I actually like are languages, especially chinese, and I would like to work in something related to them. As you can see, my English skills are still a way too far from perfect (I don't even have any kind of English level certification), but it's good as long as we can understand each other while I keep improving day by day!

Good luck guys, I believe we will get more good news than bad on this forum! 

• Like 3

@Luxin What she said was really awkward... She shouldn't have said that. Your results are excelent so I hope next year you can try different cathegory :) 

To sum up what we already know:

1) The most important thing: Read "guide" in Chinese. Download it from their official webpage. This is only way you know what are the reqirements.

2) 靠自己。Your local CI may not be well informed.

3) Choose the right program

4) Fill in you application carefully.

5) Read this topic. We wrote a lot of useful tips.

• Like 1