Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

• New Members

Hello, everyone, on 9th of May my application was submitted by my CI and since then is still on the 3th step. I contacted my first choice uni, which is Fudan to ask them, if I meet their requirements and, if so to move me forward to the 4th step, but they answerd that the decisions are made only by Hanban and I should wait for their final answer. But I was told that firstly, I have to be pre-admitted by the university, which is the 4th step and after that Hanban takes the decision, which is the 5th step. So why from Fudan answerd me that nothing is up to them, I am really confused. 

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is a later deadline for the 1 semester scholarship? They increased the requirement from HSK2 which I had obtained, so I have been focusing on obtaining my HSK3 to apply for the scholarship, which will take one more month for my result.

I don't plan to go until March 2017, so I had hoped the deadline would be later than those starting September.

@louisa

There are two ways this may work:

1) They filled their quota and they are saying this to avoid direct rejection - very Chinese I must say.

2) They may consider you application later. If not, Hanban may find you a university. Good luck!

@foreigner2u Considering that TCSOL seems to be a prep year for MTCSOL...I believe it may be for graduates. Since after TCSOL I'm sure they expect you to continue to study MTCSOL, which makes it harder to finish your studies in your home country....especialy considering the fact that you can only study MTCSOL if you have a Bachelor degree. 

For example, I think I was admitted for TCSOL now because I've just graduated recently. :D

Well I actually I am still in university (first year) and I applied for TCSOL because our CI teachers told us to do, and the partener university pre-admited us. I will see if they Hanban accepts me, but they accepted all the previous students in the same situation as me who went last year. But my major is Chinese anyway. We will see. 

This is starting get a bit worrisome. Did anyone get pre-admitted for a one year scholarship who applied with their High School Certificate, isn't a Chinese Major or a Chinese Teacher? Just a regular student of a Confucius Institute?

What I'm wondering is, why are we being pre-admitted by universities if they know fully well that we don't reach the stated requirements? Also why was @地球人 rejected so soon while the rest of us simply wait?

Well I'm currently a student as well @dumpling98 and still my university recommended me to apply to TCSOL D: It makes sense if that program is focused on graduates since is the prep program for the master's, so I better start preparing myself for a possible rejection cause apparently the requirements are not clear in any of our cases.

@foreigner2u that would suck lol. We are 12 in total that got pre-admited at the partener uni in our class. And Almost all of us applied for TCSOL (because of teacher choice). Guess this will be the first year when nobody goes to China . ;-; I think more hearthbreaking would be to simply allow some to go and other not to just because luck. 

@dumpling98 What program did your classmates who won the scholarship apply to last year?

This year my classmates and I decided to apply to TCSOL because our CI told us too, but we're still quite unsure about the specific requirements since a couple of friends applied to Beijing and they got rejected because they are not graduates. On the other hand, our partner uni has pre admitted everyone who applied there so I'm not sure if luck is the key to everything this year :roll:

In my opinion this is a conquest. And hell of a competitive one, especially when it comes to Beijing - the most competitive city of all. There is no such demand as "diploma" in TCSOL but because they have a lot of aplicants to consider, they needed another set of demands. Apparently, a lot of people applied, they decided to admit ones with degree. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

I remember people saying that even after fourth stage, it happened that some people were rejected. However, I am still at the fourth stage (accepted by uni), but also, I was asked to register on their web platform for international students. So, I already have an account in there, with all the data. But if Hanban doesn't accept me, what happens? Do they just erase me from university's student database?

Ok so, what I can get from all this, is that apparently this year they are really paying attention to your major (has to be language related, for example if you chose the Chinese language & literature curse or TCSOL). However there are some universities that seem to be more "liberal" and don't take it that much into account. Because when I received the message from my first choice uni, it said that I needed a RELEVANT Chinese major for the TCSOL 1 year. (I study engineering, about to graduate in July). So it seems that now you NEED to have a major for the TCSOL 1 year (at least in the most picky universities) So now I am trying for 6 month, language & literature. Expecting to get the same response. I wonder why I didn't receive any message from my second choice univ, though (Dalian uni). And then there is the Hanban decision, of which we still barely know anything about.

@Blckclaw Unfortunately until a couple of years ago it was just a formality for Hanban to approve applications after the uni's pre admission. However, it's not like that anymore since last year :/ Hanban can still reject applications no matter if you're pre admitted :conf