Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Luxin Sorry for the late reply, I'm away in London right now, but I just wanted to say that that totally, seriously sucks and is really unfair. You do fulfil the criteria. It's so arbitrary. Is there any way you can "retrieve" your application (ask for it to be set back to the first stage) and change your chosen unis?

@louisa That's so strange, I'm also applying at Fudan and they admitted me twice (see explanation below, in case you're wondering) and both times very quickly, within days of my application arriving. It's my CI's partner uni so I'm sure that's helping but I've also been communicating with them without my CI (and without them knowing I'm from their partner CI) and they've always been helpful. Did you communicate with them in Chinese? Definitely stay on their back about approving your application so Hanban can make a decision.

@Blckclaw No need to go back all the way to last year - I got to the fourth stage (pre-admitted by the university, waiting for Hanban's decision) and was rejected by Hanban. If I'm not completely mistaken, the same thing happened to @方茹婷, too. In a way I was lucky because they didn't just drop me straight away but sent my application back, recommending I change category, which I did. So now I'm back to where I was before - fourth stage, pre-admitted by the university, waiting for Hanban's decision, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Seems like this year Hanban are being extremely strict and competition is extremely fierce.

@Jellyfish this is not what I mean. You were pre-rejected and you've got a second chance now. I mean we will probably get our results in a week or so, and there would not be such option, to re-apply. I think @Blckclaw also had in mind this final rejection, for people who do fullfil all the criteria and despite all that got rejected. 

Waiting is really killing me :(

• Like 2

@igacave Aaah, I see. I thought he just meant that once you get accepted and recommended by your uni, how sure can you be that Hanban won't reject you, kind of thing. If he just wanted to know how much "safer" your application is after being accepted by your first choice uni, my experience is: not very much, sadly. Some unis (not all - see Luxin's example) seem to be quite accommodating for the right candidate, Hanban seems pretty strict.

• Like 1

• New Members

So, yesterday I received another answer from Fudan, this time they said that my application has reached their university and I have to wait patently to be evaluated. Still seems strange, because a lot of you got pre-admitted very quickly.

@JellyfishOh, yeah, I agree with that. Hanban is really strict. That's why I am nervous.

It seems that they do take a closer look on our application. In my case I am neither accepted nor rejected - I can conclude that my documents are okay and now is just the case of competition...

But I just wonder - if you don't meet the requirements how come UNIS DO ACCEPT YOU? Don't they know rules and regulations? Apparently not...

I just hope that 15.06 we get news and they won't make us wait any longer :D

• Like 2

Hey guys, I have a question that I don't really understand about TCSOL. So it is considered a study year that prepares you for the masters. But to apply for the masters you still need to apply again for another scholarship. :-/ Shouldn't TCSOL be included for the masters? I checked the rules and it says it is for teachers and chinese majors that have HSK 3 and want to pursue a masters. Ofcouse our teachers didn't tell us when we signed up.

But I don't want to pursue a master for example ( because I am still in uni ). If you recieve this scholarship, does it tie you in any way that you must apply for masters too? :-/ Like I don't want to be conditioned to apply for masters in China because I must, after I finish uni. I didn't see anywhere this. They only tie the master students to teach 5 years. 

For the ones who were on the 4th stage and got their applications withdrawn all the way to the 1st stage, I will repeat what I said in a previous post: You were NOT rejected XD

Being rejected is reaching the final stage where obviously you cannot modify your application anymore, so you might get a yes or a no without having the chance to say anything but accept Hanban's decision. 

Last year, I wish Hanban would have reviewed my application beforehand before making the final decision (just like Jelly or Luxin). That way Hanban would have warned me about my impossibility to get the scholarship, so maybe I could have had the opportunity to apply to another category that suited me best (at that time the minimum requirement for a semester scholarship was HSK2). However, that didn't happen at all since I actually fulfilled all the criteria but I got rejected anyway.

@Blckclaw @igacave I felt pretty upset because they didn't give me any reasons about my rejection. They just said (I will copy and paste the exact comment that was attached to my rejection):

申请进度:“奖学金综合评审结束”- 不授予奖学金 
(意见:经综合评审,不予资助。)

It just says that their review was completed and that I wasn't awarded the scholarship.

Of course I wasn't satisfied with that comment so I contacted Hanban and all they said and I'll quote again:

同学,
你好!
很抱歉你没有获得我们的奖学金资助。

I received no reason once again and I got even more upset xD

A couple of days later my chinese teacher talked to me and my classmates who got rejected as well, and she said that what happened is that there was a huge amount of applicants that year so Hanban had to choose the ones with higher scores.

So in conclusion, you might fulfill all the criteria but you still can get rejected since in the end nobody knows how many people apply per year and how many scholarships they can award per country/continent.

Anyway, everything is in the past now and I'm here again applying xD :) I just wanted to share my experience so you guys are prepared for any crazy unexpected decisions ^^

PD: @igacave I also hope to get some news on 06.15 but unfortunately according to the application guide in Chinese the results might come out by 07.15 >.< I still keep my hopes high though :lol:

• Like 4

@dumpling98 Yeah, I saw many concerns as yours, I believe that they can't force you to stay in China and apply for MTCSOL. Well, anything can happen to you, so I think you shouldn't worry about that. Just don't tell them this if you get admitted for TCSOL. :lol:

If one applies for TCSOL, that person seems to be preferred on the basis of a desire to study MTCSOL; at least my first choice uni wrote this after they admitted me, that I'm suitable for one-year study because I have an intention to study MTCSOL. So yeah, it seems that the two are seperate courses.

• Like 2

@方茹婷 thanks for your opinion! In the end I realised they can't force you to go for the MTCSOL after you have been to China because it was not written in the contract that I signed with my CI, while the MTCSOL requirement was. 

I guess I am waiting a rejection too, since there seem to be more desirable candidates than me on the line. It will be very interesting to see the reaction of my CI since they made us sign already the universities contracts .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreigner2u said:

I felt pretty upset because they didn't give me any reasons about my rejection. They just said (I will copy and paste the exact comment that was attached to my rejection):

Wow. Pretty harsh.

35 minutes ago, foreigner2u said:

re was a huge amount of applicants that year so Hanban had to choose the ones with higher scores.

So now I'm really nervous.... : / my HSK score wasn't that good...

225 on HSK 5, minimum is 210... I hope my good grade on diplona, the fact that I have a job agreement will help my poor score. And I didnt apply to BeiDa or other 名牌儿大学。 I hope we will know more in a week! Fingers crossed! :-)

• New Members

Hi everyone! I`ve been watching this topic for about month already, because it`s quite stressful to wait alone :lol: I`ve applied for Chinese Language and Literature for 1 semester, and still on 4th stage. Thanks all of you for sharing news and your thoughts.

• Like 1