Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Damn guys, i applied to the Nanjing University and got all accepted but today when i received their acceptance package.......noooo they wronged my period of stay, and the JW202 period's is wrong too. I applied for the second semester, the one that begins in March 2013 and not in September 2012 and i'm sure everything is right on my application but i want to ask you one more confirmation:

for those who applied for the second semester, in the "register" section you have

春季 in the 学期 part and 2013 in 年份 right?

One more question, anybody have had the same problem of mine?

• New Members

@jackryles

don't worry, they told me they will convert our visa into residence permit at place. I will arrive 28.08. I guess lessons start on Monday 3.09..just we have to register on 30th August. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any return tickets and I had to book one-way ticket. I hope they won't make problems in the embassy. Did they tell you do we need any insurance or is it included?

Btw, where are you from? I'm Polish.

The provided insurance is probably unlikely to cover you for anything more serious than the flu. If you want coverage for any sort of emergency and/or repatriation, it's best to get your own travel insurance separately.

hey guys.

I finally received my documents.

I have a few questions if anyone knows.

1st about the insurance it says:comprhensive insurance:it is for the students in case of hospitalizing for serious diseases or accidental injuries.

Now i wonder if that means that if i go to the hospital for example suffering of food poison or need to buy any medicine will i pay the fees?

2nd i m trying to make a budget,so i m searching about activities such as calligraphy etc but i can't find anywhere the fees.Does anyone have any idea?

3rd i m supposed to live in dorm 2(BLCU),how can this happens?isn't that dorm for chinese students?and if i want to live in dorm 6 will they at least give me the difference?

4rth i saw a ''standard of one-subsidy 1500 yuan''.Does that mean that when i get there beside the monthly allowance i get 1500 as well?

and last i saw that some said that we should register until the 30rd of august,but in my admition notice says until the 2nd of sept.

• New Members

hi travelgirl,

here is what i have:

1. i think this is a general health insurance from flu to breaking our leg; i think it does not cover flu medicine unless it is prescribed by a doctor - this is a gues

2. as far as i know, you can choose calligraphyas an extra activity and you dont have to pay for it

3. dunno (i am going to a different uni)

4. yes, you get 2x 1500 yuan in september

you should follow the deadline in your admission notice, 30 may be for chinese students

thank you for your answer, it was very helpful

I checked again in my admission notice and yes it says until 2 sep.

If anyone knows more about the dorm please let me know because i can't find anything on web.Besides that in the notice says

accomodation.Upon arrival at Blcu,you may contact the dormitory departments to apply for the dormitory with your Adm. notice and visa appliication form.Office hour :。。。。Students can contact student's dormitory No.4 to arrange accommodation at any time,

and it says

registration procedure

1)reserve a room at Housing Service Center (first floor of students' dormitory No.2)

So reading both these i m a little confused,but i think it means that they provide a room in build.2 but if i want i could apply for another dormitory.

:-?

The questions about extra-curriculars has reminded me of a surprising fact; I don't know anything about what type of classes we'll be taking.

I am in the Chinese language study program so I assume they will be teaching me Chinese :) but I don't know anything about class size, class composition, class times, class content (reading, speaking, or writing focused), how many classes will be offered, how many credit hours do we sign up for/are required to, etc.

I feel like mostly people that follow this thread have never been through this program but if anyone knows it would be nice to prepare. Again, I'm heading to BLCU if it makes a difference.

@insighter

Every school is different, and unfortunately I cannot give you details of BLCU since I've never been.

Regarding extracirc activities, many schools are "free" to join, you just have to buy your own supplies. Some school however like tisnghua charge you to join the classes.

Your schedule and type of classes will vary according to your level. There are usually 4 hours a day of Chinese classes 5 days a week. Most classes are in the morning. The beginning class might only have one or two subjects called Boya 博雅 which is all comprehensive of reading, writing, speaking, listening. The higher your level, the more variety of classes. Advanced or intermed might have oral, newspaper reading, economics, listening, comprehensive, etc.

Class size is also different according to school and level. The higher you are, the less students. When I was in tsinghua, my class only had 6 students. The class next door which was the same fluency level had 20 students. Luck of the draw I guess. Many schools allow you to change to a different level of Chinese, but most dont allow you to switch from the same level to the same level if you dont like your teachers, so hopefully you get good teachers =)

• 2 weeks later...

@travelgirl You are correct, typhus and hepatitis I believe are the most important. There is another vaccine they recommend sometimes which is Japanese encephalitis but it is very expensive at least in the US. Also the JE disease is tied to Mosquitos, so it's only a concern if you spend very much time in rural areas. You can check the world health organization for more info on that. It also can be good to bring malaria medicine, but again only important in rural areas.

i just called them and they said that scholarship students in BLcu stay in dorm 9.Thank God!!because dorm 2 seems to be awful.

I know i keep asking things,but in Greece we say by asking,you get to the town :P

so i i have some more questions if anyone knows.

First is about the insurance.A friend told me that the insurance covers only for six months so we have to change it into a whole year one.Do you know if that's the case?

And second,does anyone know if someone from my country sends me money in my chinese acount how much does the chinese bank charge?

@steveh

Sorry for not replying earlier but that was a pretty helpful post. I do have a one more question about academics at a Chinese university, I have never taken an HSK test but I've taken several years of Chinese. Will they require a strict test to place you in a level or can you "negotiate" a bit? My writing isn't probably the best right now but I'd hopefully like to push myself a bit at the more advanced levels.

I was wondering if anyone knows what living in dorms will be like for the average scholarship student (average in that it's hard to say because we will be going to different universities). Will there be two people paired as roomates? Will there be suite mates of 3 or more or will there be singles available as well? Would your roommate most likely because a Chinese student or another international one?

@insighter

No problem. Many Universities have small tests that they administer to determine your current Chinese level. It might be as easy as a teacher talking to you and read one passage, or it might be a very comprehensive exam. After that, you can go up or down levels based on what you feel comfortable with. At times I was even split between two different levels, 口语 at an intermediate level and 综合 at an upper intermediate level.

Most scholarship students are not given singles. I would say that doubles are the norm with the exception of some schools that might have 3-4 people per dorm. And if living at the dorms, unless you are doing an exchange program setup by your home University where they first state you will be living with a Chinese student through their program, it is (so I've heard) illegal for Chinese students to live with international students on campus in their dorms.