Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Hey fellas!

I have the same doubt as p0mmes_frites. I'm going for the advanced study programme for one academic year, so I didn't fill the part where I had to choose a major.

Did I do well? I think so, but I'm a bit paranoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the people who applied to Confucius Institute Scholarship follow their application process? It is written that those who applied can follow the process by signing in to the website, but when I sign in I just see my filled application form.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

my classmates and myself had our hopes really high up for this scholarship, since we were told by a person from our Confucius Institute in Nottingham that last year all 19 applicants from Nottingham University received the scholarship.

What we were told was that there were around 1000 places (seems to be a really high number actually) last year and that number could not be filled up so basically last year everyone who applied seemed to have gotten it.

Now last week almost all of us got rejected and only 6 people appear to have been accepted. So I guess there must have been a cut in places. Did anyone else secure a place?

How did you learn that you were rejected? Or how did the others learn that they were accepted? Did you received an e-mail? I have also applied for it but I haven't received anything yet. In the internet site of the confucius institute, I can only see my application form when I log into the system. Is it normal?

was it absolutely necessary to create a file on the website? I never did because my institute showed me where i could just dl the scholarhsip app, and i forwarded all of my app materials to my institute, which they forwarded to hanban. It didn't seem like they enforced that i should create a profile or anything. Will not creating one hinder me at all?

An application for the scholarship from someone at my university was rejected recently because they did not also apply online.

Anyway, I sent an email to the hanban 5 days ago and never got a response. I figure though that not having heard anything from them by now is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for the Confucius scholarship and was rejected because I filled out the wrong name of the school on the online application and my actual materials arrived at the original school. Basically all I needed to do was get the name of the school changed on my online application so that the original university could process my application.

However this turned out to be an extremely arduous process involving several phone calls and emails, often looping back on themselves (calling one place only to be told to call another place, with the other place cordially telling me I really should be calling the place that I had just called).

Finally, I was able to get the form changed only to be told that I had missed the deadline by a day.

Through this process I have learned some things that will hopefully be of help to those above and others who will apply for this scholarship in the future.

1. Do not email the Han Ban, they will not respond to you....ever.

2. It is best to directly contact the school that you applied to.

3. If you have the same problem I did you need to contact the school and tell them that THEY need to contact the Han Ban institute in order to have any changes made on your application. Apparently this was a fairly widespread problem this year and only the institute you applied to you or the Confucius institute can help you.

4. If you applied through a Confucius institute you should USE them. They can advocate for you and will be extremely helpful getting things done, including contacting the Han Ban on your behalf.

5. I have heard that this year the Han Ban has apparently accepted to many applications and does not have enough funding to provide for everyone the colleges have accepted. Therefore they are eliminating applicants in very round about ways, such as not properly filling something out, or stating that deadlines have already been passed.

Hope this can be of use to some people. Personally, I think the Confucius institute as well as the Han Ban are extremely incompetent organizations and seem to have almost no communication with each other; Schools don't communicate with the Han Ban, the Confucius institute doesn't communicate with the schools, and only a select few communicate with the Han Ban.

• Like 2

I applied for the Confucius scholarship and was rejected because I filled out the wrong name of the school on the online application and my actual materials arrived at the original school. Basically all I needed to do was get the name of the school changed on my online application so that the original university could process my application.

I heard from a prof at my university that this is why someone was also rejected here. No one else has heard back yet.

Apparently, we can check the results here: http://ci.chinese.cn/BasicSystem/Confucius/ScholarshipSelect.aspx

I say "apparently", because when I insert my username, application number and passsword, I only get a message saying that they have no such registration...

The thing is, while I did register, I never submited the application form online. Not my fault! I tried it on several different days and there would always be an error with the server. I figured it'd be no big deal. The people at the Chinese Embassy never even mentioned the online process to me. They just told me about the stuff that I'd have to deliver to them and that they would take care of things.

Now, having read a previous poster that someone got rejected because he/she didn't send the application online, my teacher telling me just today that I SHOULD have sent it online also and, of course, getting a message saying that they haven't got my application numer in their database when I use the link above, I'm pretty certain that I'm screwed... :cry:

I called the person in charge of this matter in the Chinese Embassy. She said she'll look into it and that she'll call me back next week, but I have almost no hope now...

It REALLY sucks to fail at getting the scholarship over such a stupid reason. It's not even my fault! It's their bloody website's fault!