Chinese-Forums

Function of 的 in 你怎么认识周小姐的?

HedgePig

I came across this sentence (from zhongwen red)

How do you know Ms. Zhou?

你怎么认识周小姐的?

What is the importance of the 的 at the end of the sentence?

What would the effect of leaving out the 的 be? Would the sentence still make sense (but possibly mean something different) or would it simply sound wrong?

My thought was that leaving out the 的 would mean something like "How do you recognise Ms. Zhou?" (with a possible answer being "by short hair, trendy jacket and the parrot on her shoulder), whereas with the "de", it means "what circumstances led you to know Ms. Zhou"?

How do you know Ms. Zhou?

你怎么认识周小姐的?

What would the effect of leaving out the 的 be?Would the sentence still make sense (but possibly mean something different) or would it simply sound wrong?

你怎么认识周小姐?

How come that you know Ms. Zhou?

So, leaving out 的, the sentence is still correct, except that it carries another meaning.

My thought was that leaving out the 的 would mean something like "How do you recognise Ms. Zhou?"

In that case, it is 你(是)怎么认出周小姐的.

你怎么认识周小姐?

Under what circumstance is this sentence be used?

I give an example for this sentence

one day you invite John and Miss Zhou to go to a cafe to discuss something. Of course you know both of them, and they knew each other previously, BUT YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT.

When you three meet together, John greeted to Miss Zhou. Since you had thought that them didn't know each other before, so, IT'S REALLY SURPRISED TO YOU, then you said to John: 你怎么认识周小姐?

while adding a 的 to the end, what you want to get is focusing on the PROCESS, the typical answers are such as: I knew her in a ball party...

Have I made you clear enough?

Hello kenny

Sorry to be stupid - I'm still unclear. You are saying

(1) 你怎么认识周小姐的? = How do you know Ms. Zhou?

(2) 你怎么认识周小姐? = How come that you know Ms. Zhou?

To me the English meaning in (1) and (2) is basically the same. So I'm not sure if there is a difference in the Chinese or if I'm misunderstanding something.

Regards

HedgePig

你怎么认识周小姐 suggests that the asker doesn't expect that you know Ms. Zhou. He is surprised. The extent to which he is surprised can be known by noticing how he manipulates his tone.

你怎么认识周小姐的 can also imply surprise by manipulating your tone, but it is stronger leaving out 的. A normal tone usually doesn't convey that you are surprised.

Igore my English translation. There might have been something missing therein. I am not a native English speaker.

Edited by kenny2006woo

Thanks everyone - yes, that's cleared up things. Much appreciated.

I didn't think of the original sentence being a contracted form of the 是。。。的 construction.

kenny, I think your English examples are fine. I just didn't pick up the difference in surprise. (And sorry viener, I somehow missed your post which I clarified the differences first!)

a. 你怎么认识周小姐? - How do you know Ms. Zhou?

b. 你怎么认识周小姐的? - How do you know Ms. Zhou?

Unlike English, which uses stress in tonality, Chinese uses grammatical devices like this one. Hope that clears it up a bit more.

Unlike English, which uses stress in tonality, Chinese uses grammatical devices like this one. Hope that clears it up a bit more.

This is also a useful for me to remember - thanks!