Chinese-Forums

Web character drawing recognition

buzhongren

NCIKU has a nice mouse/stylus/drawing pad for recognizing Chinese characters. Id say it correctly guesses the character when 80% complete no matter how drawn. Im good at radicals and strokes. It doesnt seem to recognize the character fast enough when I try radical/stoke drawing. I know it has to take into account other factors like sloppiness etc. Does anyone know of other similar Web character drawing recognition I could try ie they might take a different approach to recognize cursive recognition. I found Skritter from an old post but it doesnt seem to work on Linux Firefox.

xiele,

Jim

If this is a web based application it didnt work on Linux Firefox. Before I waste my time on finding a Windows computer can you tell me how it is different than NCIKU which I mentioned. Apparently web based free hand cursive drawing for character identification isnt popular. Im not interested in download software.

xiele,

Jim

It does work on Linux firefox. I use it all the time. It may not have worked for you, but I would guess that's a java issue on your end.

It is different than NCIKU in that it pays more attention to stroke order. Which is good if you have good stroke order (higher accuracy), bad if you don't....

You mentioned "cursive drawing"; are you interested in one that understands normal handwriting, or one that understands more artistic writing?

Ill look at my Java settings. Im sure I have the Engine turned off. Still NCIKU is smart enough to play in the sandbox without Java. When I say cursive drawing it is more like Magic Slate. Not like Chinese daily hand writing. I have a touchpad. Id have to add a mouse for serious stroke order checking. Ideally what I want is draw any character component and show all characters with that component.

xiele,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
If this is a web based application it didnt work on Linux Firefox.

It does work in Linux Firefox.

Maybe you need to reinstall or update Javascript / Adobe Flash Player?

In the meanwhile, if you can, use Pinyin to find the characters.

Sources:

I'm using Linux Firefox as I write, and Nciku is working.

http://www.nciku.com

http://www.nciku.cn

PS Maybe the servers are turned off when & where you used it? Maybe reloading it in a couple of minutes will work?