Chinese-Forums

Anyone going to BNU in the fall semester of 2010, (September-January)

tboasis7

Ok good to know:D This forum is great I must say it's gold getting into contact with people having this kind of experience.

When you went there how much mandarin did you know? Am I stupid going there knowing virtually nothing at all? :)

Am I stupid going there knowing virtually nothing at all?

No. You're there to learn, and the beginners classes are full for a reason ;)

See, this is the kind of attitude which eases my anxiety... :mrgreen: If I study all summer and reach the 101 level, awesome! If not, I'm still there to learn and will enjoy the beginner classes all the more. ^^

Thanks again for your help, adrianlondon. I can't think of anything else to ask atm, which shows how much of a help you've been.

If i get there i can chip in on the beer.. Which brings me to my next question.

When you are done with the on-line application where do you send the rest of the information they need? I have checked the home page but it's barley says anything at all (plus I'm a bit lazy and asking you is a lot quicker:D).

Appreciate any help:)

found the forum by chance.. and this is so nice :clap

btw, I'm now at BNU and goin to continue in Fall either.. so, hope to see u guys around ;)

and don't forget to book the dorm if u wanna stay in campus ..No.3 dorm is the best one and u gotta be hurry!!!

huhhh...midterm exam is next week!!!....:help

@Sonia H

I wish I were there already, like you. I really can't wait! lol I guess it will be September soon enough, though. =P How are you liking your classes so far?... and which program/level are you in?

Oh! ...and I am most likely going to be in the No. 3 dorm like you suggested. My scholarship gives me a free double room in the No.1 building, but the International Students' Office said I could upgrade to No. 3 if I paid the difference... so that means getting into No. 3 for half price!
:mrgreen:

Anyways, best of luck on your midterm!

@adrianlondon & @Frans

Dumplings and beer sounds like a plan!
:clap

heyy..

the course here is great... actually if u wanna learn Chinese and u're a study hard type..BNU is the best one.. 8)

anyway, single room in Dorm No.3 gone so fast ..so u'd better find the way to book it first!!

dorm No.1 is NO NO for me... kind of stinky!! :roll:

any questions always welcome... :wink:

Personally, I prefered the two-person dorms at No3. You get your own bedroom, a shared bathroom (bigger than the single rooms; with a bath tub) and a shared living area. OK, none of it is particularly big, but assuming you get a friendly person to share it all with, it's great. The single rooms can feel a bit lonely I think.

I was lucky; a day after I moved in, a Japanese guy had a look at his room, had a look at me, then never came back. The next day an Indonesian guy moved in and we became very good friends. He had been there the term before so was very useful for info, too.

Adrian is right...

i also prefer the 2bedroom.. i stay at the 95yuan/day now.. i'm happy with it :clap

btw, next term gonna be hard to get the room at di san because there was mistake this term that many indonesians booked the wrong dorm :roll:

so, Next term they all gonna move from dorm2 to HERE !!!!

Yeah, the two bedroom one are definitely preferable in my books, and with the discount certainly affordable =P I'm probably going to try for: 1) No.3 Building, two bedroom, no bathtub (B2); 2) No.2 Building, two bedroom (F2); and 3) No.3 Building, two bedroom, with bathtub (B3)... at which point, if I don't have a place, I'll just stick with the free double room hahaha. The first two on that list are in a bit of a battle, though, since the difference in price adds up over two years :lol:

My main issue with the double rooms is just security of valuables (laptop etc) and having a bit of space to myself when I want/need it. I don't really have any issue with the shared washrooms for the entire floor though, and honestly I can see them being a plus since you will occasionally run into friends and meet people etc and the even bigger bonus, no cleaning! :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have sent a couple and never got replies back, but then again I have a friend in China who I can have call...

Sucks that they don't reply and its kinda annoying

For anybody who wants to move in early, the Liyun apartments told me that I can move in August 20th, if I pay the bill of course!! lol

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I'm headed to BNU in the fall too so I thought I'd say a quick howdydo. Two questions:

Is anyone here also starting or currently studying towards a masters in 对外汉语? That's what I signed up for but I'm not exactly sure how crazy it sounds or if that's even something they let foreigners do.

Also, I've seen some good things on this thread about the No. 3 dorm, but what about Xinsong Gongyu? I actually lived there for two months for a summer program and it was pretty nice, but I don't know how it compares to the other dorms. I'd be grateful for any insights there, especially if No. 3 does indeed fill up.

Yey i found a current BNU Thread!

I'll be going to BNU this fall too. I'll be on scholarship so i'll be put in No. 1, right? Coming from BLCU my experience with scholarship dorms has been really bad. Anyone currently living in yigongyu?

And does it work the same like BLCU where if you want to upgrade your room to, for example, a single in No. 2 or No. 3, you would only have to pay the difference? And can you choose whatever dorm is available? Because in BLCU you can only choose 2 out of the 6 or 7 other dorms that admit foreign students.

If i were to look for an apartment off-campus what apartment buildings or 小区 would you recommend?