Chinese-Forums

BLCU Fall 2010

GustavM

Hey guys! ill be going to BLCU next fall for a year, most likely in the beginners class although i have some background in chinese as i lived in Beiijing from age 13-15. Id love to start networking with other people on the same boat as me so feel free to drop a line.

Thought I would throw out a suggestion to any new comers or current students at BLCU. Instead of taking the 30 hour intensive course, you may want to check out language partners/tutors/private schools outside of the regular 20 hour week. I know everyone learns differently, but I just started at a private school in the afternoon and wish I had done it earlier.

I have been a student at BLCU since last September. The teachers and materials are great, but it's a little frustrating having 22 students in a 口语 class. I haven't had much luck with language partners and I need the discipline of a class environment. Someone may correct me that on average a tutor or private school is around 30 kuai an hour.

I'm still looking for a short cut to learning Chinese, so I'll let everyone know when I find it...

I'm in class at BLCU everyday from 8:30am-12:30pm. My private school has class from 1:20pm to 2:50pm, so a total of 5.5 hours everyday. This isn't for everyone as a former classmate just dropped the private school after two weeks. Yet, the nice thing about a language partner/tutor is you can dump them with one phone call. Seems a lot of private schools will charge one month at a time.

Again it comes down on your own personal study habits. I was spending the afternoon with friends and surfing the web, instead of studying. I need the discipline of a classroom and a professional teacher to not just tell me I'm wrong, but how. The books and teachers at BLCU really help with my grammar. The only way for me to remember characters is to sit down and write them over and over. I'm specifically taking a speaking class at the private school as my current priority is to correct my pronunciation and tones.

There have been other threads debating public or private education for learning Chinese. I wanted to share my experiences with those already decided on BLCU through scholarship or for whatever reasons. I see outside instruction as more of a compliment to my studies as appose to interfering. The more Chinese the better!

I'll also be going to BLCU for a year this fall. :) Most likely as a beginner aswell.

According to the info I've, classes will be between 08.30-12.30 and 14.00-18.00 everyday for 1 year students. Then it would be impossible to squeeze in private classes.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was it for the extra 1.5 hours privately? Is it 1 on 1 (since you mentioned tutor) or is it small classes?

I share the same problem, after about 4 hours of class I'll resort to relaxing (and thus not taking advantage of my environment!) Also, how much homework do they give you? or does homework not exist in china (what a beautiful thing that could be) ?

I just applied for the fall semester because i wasnt sure if i wanted to be a whole year in Beijing, but now im decided on just being in Beijing. Should i just apply for the 2011 spring semester when the time comes, or should i contact BLCU and tell them ill be a 1 year student. and what are the differences between being a 1 year student and a short term student?

According to the info I've, classes will be between 08.30-12.30 and 14.00-18.00 everyday for 1 year students

so 56 hours a week?? i thought the max was 30.

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx/english/questions.htm

13. How are class hours arranged?

Regular short-term programs: from 8:00 am to 12:00 am Monday through Friday.

Intensive short-term programs: from 8:00 am to 12:00 am and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Long-term programs: from 8:30 am to 12:30 am and 14:00 pm to 18: pm Monday through Friday. The class hours vary depending on chosen courses.

Generally regular language students report having 4 hours classes of classes per day in the morning, 5 days a week.

Unless you're an intensive short term language student, or enrolled in Bachelor studies (so not a pure language student) there's no reason to believe you will have classes in the afternoon at BLCU.

Anyway I've never studied there, just read a lot about it... I suggest you do a search, lots of people have written about language studies at BLCU.

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx/english/questions.htm

Quote:

13. How are class hours arranged?

Regular short-term programs: from 8:00 am to 12:00 am Monday through Friday.

Intensive short-term programs: from 8:00 am to 12:00 am and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Long-term programs: from 8:30 am to 12:30 am and 14:00 pm to 18: pm Monday through Friday. The class hours vary depending on chosen courses.

Generally regular language students report having 4 hours classes of classes per day in the morning, 5 days a week.

Unless you're an intensive short term language student, or enrolled in Bachelor studies (so not a pure language student) there's no reason to believe you will have classes in the afternoon at BLCU.

Anyway I've never studied there, just read a lot about it... I suggest you do a search, lots of people have written about language studies at BLCU.

Ah, I guess the afternoon (from 14:00 to 18:00) are used for optional classes like calligraphy and such?

If you don't mind my asking, how much was it for the extra 1.5 hours privately? Is it 1 on 1 (since you mentioned tutor) or is it small classes?

I'm going to a private school that normally has 3-5 students per class and I pay 600 kuai a month (20 kuai an hour). I lucked out as most of my classmates have dropped out (doubt it's because of teacher) and I have had the teacher as a one on one for the last two weeks.

In regards to the August 31st-July 31st school year, I'm a little disappointed with that as well. Classes didn't really start until the first week of September. We also had about two weeks off for October 1st national day. We were told the first semester ends on January 20th, but we finished exams the first week of January. We then had about three months off between January-March for the New Year. I also understand we will have exams done before the 10th of July, so all in all it's only about 8 months of schooling. Taking into account the visa and other fees, it seems to be about 2,500 kuai a month for regular classes at BLCU.

In regards to daily hours, it depends on what level you are at and of course the type of study. Normal long term beginners will have their classes in the morning. When you start to get to Intermediate and higher you will have many electives that will throw your schedule around a lot. My roommate last semester was in Advanced and some days would have class from 10am-6pm. On other days he may only have two hours.

i plan to go too, but i haven't enrolled yet. are the enrolments still ongoing? plan to pay online, did this work for any of you?

you need to send in your application two months before class starts so you still have plenty of time, the fall semester starts september 16th. I tried to pay online but it didnt work so i did it through telegraphic transfer instead.

Does anyone know how classes are arranged in the full-year course?

I mean, is it just 4 hours a day of "language learning" or is it separated in say : grammar from 8 to 9, writing from 9 to 10, listening, speaking, etc... in allocated time slots?

The reason why I'm asking is because classes done in BLCU will be credited at my home university and in the paperwork they ask what classes will be taken there.

If I don't know I guess I can write "chinese language class" and 20 hours a week for x weeks but I'm curious to know how it is anyway. :D

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I am applying to BA program. Still waiting for the study record from my old university because they need the original one to BLCU. Then I will send my application. To get in to the BA you have to pass HSK elementary. But because it seems I'm not going to pass it on september they will put me first to some language courses and I will start the BA after passing the exam,

Anyone else planning to do a BA?

New information:

They also accept a copy of the study record. Now I'm waiting to get a recommendation letter from my Chinese teacher and then hope to send the application before end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to a private school that normally has 3-5 students per class and I pay 600 kuai a month . . .

Is it possible to tell us the name of this private school and where in Beijing is it located?

What is the private school class schedule like? Thanks

Is it possible to tell us the name of this private school and where in Beijing is it located?

What is the private school class schedule like? Thanks

It's called 大山academy, or something like that, and it's in the hotel located directly North of BLCU's campus. I heard about it through a friend who also took classes at the big Korean private school near the Wudaokou train station. I think her reason for switching schools was 大山 had problems with her visa before they were an authorized visa place (not sure how that system works). I forget what the other Korean private school is called, but they claim to be one of the oldest and best in Beijing. My friend complained her classes there have about 7 students and at one point jumped over 10.

There only needs to be two students to start a class at my private school. We use the Peking University Press Kouyu textbooks. The hours vary a lot through the day, but with few students at a specific level it may be hard to get a time you want. I'm in class from 1:20pm-2:50pm currently and there is only one other student that shows up half the time. The school doesn't go too far if you want to continue past the advanced series, as they also have HSK and pronunciation classes. The same friend said the lessons are designed to build upon what you are already studying with many students from BLCU taking classes there. Of course with a Kouyu class, there won't be much focus on character writing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Brian US

I think you're referring to Global Village (Diqiucun). It's quite well known. There's a thread in this forum about it.

I also go to Da Shan for my HSK prep class. It's my last class today. Test is on Sunday. I might have seen you around. My class sked is the same as yours. Hehehe

@Meldonte

Very easy, there are ads everywhere in school. Some of them are pros, some of them are grad students taking up masters in teaching chinese as a foreign language, some of them undergrads. Usually ppl know who's good based on word of mouth. You pay by the hour so if you don;t like your tutor you can easily change to another one.

@Pascal Ma

If you're a Long-term student elementary student, your first sem will be grammar 10 hrs/wk, listening and speaking 6 hrs/wk, reading and writing 4 hrs/wk. For the second sem, grammar 10 hours, listening and speaking 4 hours, reading and writing 4 hours, elective class 2 hours.

I'll be going in the fall for the year too, hopefully in the intermediate level...

How necessary is it to find a private tutor? I heard that the class sizes are a little larger than I'd like (15 - 20 people) but if we have class a minimum of 4 hours a day plus homework, that already sounds like a lot of studying. How much progress do you make just by walking around Beijing dealing with locals? Or do you find that you spend most of your free time with other foreigners?