Chinese-Forums

BLCU Fall 2010

GustavM

I'm attending in the fall. For the same program - 1 year. Definitely in a beginner class, my knowledge is very very basic.

The school just received my application last Thursday (6/17)... I really hope it doesn't take 2 months to receive the admissions letter, as I gotta travel all the way to NYC to get my X visa!

The website says only from 8:30-12:30. Don't expect afternoon classes. That's when we study... :P

I also go to Da Shan for my HSK prep class. It's my last class today. Test is on Sunday. I might have seen you around. My class sked is the same as yours. Hehehe

I'm a short white guy with glasses, so probably easy to spot. Hope your exam went well as several of my friends also took the test Sunday.

I'm attending in the fall. For the same program - 1 year. Definitely in a beginner class, my knowledge is very very basic.

The school just received my application last Thursday (6/17)... I really hope it doesn't take 2 months to receive the admissions letter, as I gotta travel all the way to NYC to get my X visa!

The website says only from 8:30-12:30. Don't expect afternoon classes. That's when we study... :P

Mine took almost exactly one month from the day I mailed it to the day I received the admissions letter. So plan your trip to NY for the last week of July. You know it takes 4 business days (really, give it a week) to get a visa, right? I can't remember if they'll mail it to you or if you must pick it up in person.

Awesome. Hopefully mine arrives only a month later. :) I read that if you pay $30 extra they have a same-day service. I'll probably just show up bright and early morning, and wait all day there. I actually live in Florida now, but have a Pennsylvania ID. So the $30 would definitely be worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyebody,

i m going to blcu this september for 3 months and i want to be prepared for any unpleasant surprises.So any advice and info is welcome.

I m planning to stay in the beijing foreign activities center.Does anyone knowthe price now?because the threads i ve read are old.I also want to ask if it's better to bay before i go or not.And i want to know about the uni as well.I think it's better to pay the fees before i go.Another thing that concerses me is about the money exchange.Do i have to do if before i go or when i arrive there?and does the bank take something for the exchange?What else should i have in mind?

thanks in advance

Anna ;)

Price for the Conference Center (like everything else) are given in two places. On the BLCU website (Housing Page), and on the CC's website (here) you can see that they charge 115RMB per day, which works out to about 13 euros/day, or about €390 a month.

I think it's probably better to at least reserve a room before you go. That's my plan. I've heard that the other dorm buildings have been remodeled and upgraded, but we'll find out when we get there, won't we?

You should probably do at least some exchange before you go, as taxi drivers and other small businesses that you'll have to deal with will not take foreign currency, and only larger businesses will accept credit cards. Depending on if you've got a card with a chip like most Europeans or a magnetic stripe like most North Americans, some bank ATMs will take your ATM/credit card and others will not. Bank of China is always the best place to start. No matter where you change money, you will be charged a percentage of the amount (usually 3 - 5%) as a fee for currency exchange.

Other random things: check with your mobile phone company about whether your phone will work in China, or make sure it is not locked. I know the US system is different from everybody else's, but my phone company told me it would work in China, and they were wrong. I hope you know how to use a squat toilet; if not, be prepared to learn. The CC's rooms have western toilets, but the other kind are much more common everywhere else. Get a medical checkup before you go, and bring a month's supply of any medications you take. Chinese health insurance covers getting hit by a bus and not much else, as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

travelgirl- im going in sept for 3 months as well! we might actually be in the same course!

i haven't arranged accommodation either.. was wondering where you decided to go with? beijing foreign activities center?

im so excitedddd but so unprepared its making me nervous!

:rolleyes: hey.I m glad meeting sbd who is going then.I m thinking of beijing for activity center but not sure yet.I haven;t decided yet if i have to book the room before i go,but some friends of mine are in beijing now,and they will ask somethings.

I have yet to receive my admissions packet yet, but am pretty sure I will be studying at BLCU next year. Can anyone tell me if they've had experience juggling classes with volunteer work or an internship? I've applied to a couple internships/volunteer opportunities in Beijing and hope that I could fill my time up with work experience... Do you think I'd be taking on too much on top of the classes?

Haha, and is this the wrong thread to post this question on?

Hi, i'm also going to BLCU in september for one year in a beginner group, so maybe i'll see you ;) I saw that there's everything on the campus, like launderette, food, sport etc.. So that's awsome ! I'll sleep at the conference center, i found many informations over next year, like calendar, maps... If you guys have some questions, maybe i can answer them ! I feel excited, but there's just one thing that i'm lookin for, it's a site to download movies, series etc.. because with the censure there're many sites that we can't use there (I'm in beijing now). Do you know somthing about that ?

Travel girl i advise you to book your room now ! because the reservations are mostly full yet !

electric maybe we'll be in same group !

But i'm in the 30h/week courses, so i think that the hours are going to be something like 9am-12am + 1pm-4pm or 8h30am-12h30am + 2pm-4pm ... Does anybody knows ?

That'll be a great experience i'm sure !!

i'm coming to BLCU for 1 year, too! I'm excited about the experience what worries me is the place where i'm going to stay...

the dorms are first come first serve and most say they're horrible. not to mention they cost like 80RMB per night- almost as much as an apartment!

of the threads i've read, staying at the Beijing Foreign Students Activities Center is nice or renting at FuRun Jia Yuan but I couldn't find ways to reserve a room! and I don't have a clue how much it would cost me

Help please! Advices are very much welcome

Thanks!

• Like 1

hi eveybody,

i have a problem with health certificate that has to be with us during registration.İn the notice which blcu sent me says 'you must present the original health certificate and blood test results issued by a hospital in your country......,if the attestation are not complete or qualified,you have to do another medical examination and pay for it yourself'

my question is what all the attestation items are and how much does it cost to have it?

mkluy, I reserved my room at the Conference Center, but if you want to live at the BFSAC, it looks like they've got a phone # on their website here. I would call them as soon as possible. I don't know if they will do reservations by email, and anyway I think it's better to talk to a human and be sure you're getting what you want. Plus this will allow you to ask about the price.

Also, when I did it I wrote down my questions in Chinese before I called, as well as some possible answers. This turned out to be a good idea because the woman I spoke to at the CC did not speak English.

hey everybody.Please sbd tell me how a friend of mine can go to the beijing foreign student acitvity center and how the building is called exactly to help her find it easie.because she wants to help me book a room there.Please ask me as soon as possible because she is already there in beijing and she won't stay long.

Hey everyone, I'm also coming to study for a year at BLCU. My Chinese speaking skills are basic and know very few characters so I'll probably be in the beginners class. I'm staying at the conference centre for the first couple of weeks whilst I look at apartments. If anyone is also looking to rent an apartment when they arrive let me know as I'll be on the lookout for roommates. Arriving 31st August and can't wait!