Chinese-Forums

How to use 简直

blandmc

Hi all!

My teacher tried to teach me this, but I cannot for the life of me understand, so hoping you guys can help provide some insight and some example sentences?

I am having trouble with the meaning and usage of the word:

简直 (jian3 zhi2)

MDBG dictionary says the meaning is:

simply, at all, practically

My teacher says it is an adverb, so always 简直 + Verb, and he says the meaning is to "Almost Verb".

The examples he gave me didn't make sense at all to me, so I can't remember them.

Does anyone understand this word?

if so, can you please explain:

1. What is the meaning?

2. Give some example sentences and English translations?

Thanks in advance for any help!

this term is also a bit confusing to me. here's an example from chinesepod

现在的广告真实越来越看不懂了。内容和产品简直没什么联系 - the first sentence is talking about how commercials are becoming hard to understand. the second half says ''there's simply no connection between the content of the commercial and the product''

and an example from my 'read it now' book. i'm not sure if i can translate this correctly, but i think it says ''when i was young, my grandfather told me a chinese fairy tale. i was simply fascinated by it

小时候,爷爷给我讲中国的神话故事,我简直听得入了迷

It's used to add emphasis or to pad out the sentence the way you would use "literally" (meaning figuratively), "basically", "simply", "practically", "pretty much","almost", etc.

After hearing what he said, I practically spit blood up.

听他说完,我简直吐了血

[They're] basically killing machines!

简直是杀人机器嘛!

A guy on the internet found some evidence and commented, "This is literally (figuratively) some *****! ...

网友找到證据,称:「 简直胡扯!....

But I'm not sure if this works in reverse all the time. (e.g. "How to Recycle Practically Anything!" -> chinese ?

簡直is used when you want to express that something or someone is totally/really/absolutely in a situation beyond your imagination, out of your expectation.

Ex:

1. 這麼玩命的事也做, 他簡直是個瘋子.

2. 大衛布萊恩(David Blaine)的魔術表演簡直是不可思議啊.

Hope it helps!:)

thanks for all the various responses!

I think I understand a little bit better now.

I think I like "hardly" with negative statements and either "truly" or "literally" with positive statements for the closest translations - at least as far as the examples shown.

Of course, I know the ultimate goal is simply to understand it rather than translate it, but at my current stage of Chinese I still rely quite a bit on equivalents to other languages.

ANyway - thanks all!

◎ 简直 jiǎnzhí

(1) [simply;absolutely;literally;virtually]

(2) 表示情况或行动确实是这样

他干活,一个人简直抵过三个人

(3) 表示情况或行为差不多是这样

他感动得简直要哭出来

(4) 表示事物或状态达到的程度非常高,相当于“很”、“十分”

他这个人简直不像话

(5) 在某种方言里,表示干脆如此,相当于“索性”

你现在简直说完了才走

(6) [good and]∶完全地,十足地

简直疯了

(7) [sketchy and blain]∶简明直截,不加修饰

议论简直

ZDIC.NET 汉 典 網

Quoted from 汉典.

Hello..

Can I ask if these following then are correct uses of 简直/ can I ask about each meaning alone and see if it's a good translation?

他有的时候会说人家的坏话, 可是他简直是个好人 (he sometimes speaks about people badly, but he's basically(简直) a good person.)

这个汤简直太好喝了 (The soup is simply(简直) delicious).

他太烦人了,简直是 (He's too annoying/ difficult, he simply(简直) is).

听他说完,我简直吐了血 (Hearing him finish, I practically(简直) spat up blood).

So this can be used as basically, simply and practically, is that right? It does make sense logically I suppose, because 简 means simple/ easy/ basic.

Can I ask if these following then are correct uses of 简直/ can I ask about each meaning alone and see if it's a good translation?

他有的时候会说人家的坏话, 可是他简直是个好人 (he sometimes speaks about people badly, but he's basically(简直) a good person.)

This is incorrect. “简直”不能表示让步/转折。(Sorry I don't know how to say this in English.)

这个汤简直太好喝了 (The soup is simply(简直) delicious).

This is correct.

他太烦人了,简直是 (He's too annoying/ difficult, he simply(简直) is).

I guess you could use “他简直是太烦人了” as a translation. I couldn't say your sentence is wrong, but it is probably only used in very limited contexts.

听他说完,我简直吐了血 (Hearing him finish, I practically(简直) spat up blood).

”听他说完,我几乎/差点吐了血“ feels more natural to me. Or “我简直要吐血”. It's probably just me.

Edited by zhxlier

zhxlier, Thanks for the confirmation.

I asked my wife those three at home.. she said my first example was indeed wrong, but couldn't explain why because the second part alone (他简直是个好人) was "correct", meaning that I didn't understand why.

Your explaination (in Chinese) is very useful, thanks.

So in other words, 简直cannot be used to counter something else (he's bad, but he's good).

Well you wouldn't say "He's practically a good guy." would you?

Anyway, I recommend my newly created basically/practically rule. If you've got a sentence that can use both of those words interchangeably, you can translate it into Chinese with 簡直.

Well you wouldn't say "He's practically a good guy." would you?

No.. who would?

My point was that you cant use it like this:

He's sometimes rude about people, but he's basically a good person, because 简直cannot be used to negate something.

• 2 weeks later...

I think about two common sentences immediately when i saw 简直.

1.做了这种事,他们简直不是人!

Done such horrible things,they can not be called Human!

2.简直不可思议!

Incredible!

Had a thought cross my mind this morning about 简直-- simply put, this word only means simply.

Why?

In English you cannot negate simply with another phrase (you cant say in English: "He's simply a nice person, but he's a bit of a git sometimes").. You have to use basically in this sentence structure if you want to negate the meaning later with another phrase.

So I think that 简直 means simply, and not much else, especially not basically, because the translation of basically confuses a learner how to use 简直.

Often 真的 is a fitting substitution

I would say yes, but again, this confuses a learner into thinking that you can negate your previous 简直 with another sentence to say it's not- like 真的 can be negated with 假的.

簡直 seems to mean 'almost'

ooh... explain!! :D