Chinese-Forums

hakka in vietnam

zomis93

• 1 year later...

This topic is rather old but I figured I'd share a little more information on this topic. Recently I decided to Google 防城区客家 ( Fangcheng District Hakka Chinese) and I found a very interesting article on Ngai Wa. It includes everything from its phonology to its geographical spread. It even includes an explanation to where the Ngai in Ngai Wa comes from. I am not very proficient in written Chinese yet so I cant read it very well so I hope and would be very thankful if someone on this board can elaborate on it a little more.http://baike.baidu.com/view/1907566.htm

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • New Members

My family are "ngai yin" (ngai people). My parents are from south vietnam. In the late 80s, they went to america. We lived in the 626 area for the longest time. I would stumble upon a few ngai speakers but most are in their 50s and beyond. I am one of those lucky few who can still speak ngai very well. I am currently in my late 20s. :)

I am able to speak ngai, cantonese and a bit vietnamese. Pretty amazing; most ngai people from vietnam can speak ngai, cantonese and vietnamese fluently. Sometimes even mandarin. 

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone, I am currently working on a Master's thesis project on the topic of Ngai living in the West. I would be extremely grateful if anyone with a Ngai background living, or have lived, in a Western country could take the time to complete a survey in order to gather more information on Ngai experiences in the West due to the limited available sources. 

If you are interested, here is the link for more information: https://sites.google.com/view/ngai-ethnicity-survey-website/ 

Thank you!