Chinese-Forums

"go" and "come" (to a party)

jadarite

In English, we sometimes say "Are you coming to the party?"

This is a conceptual "place" and therefore not really tangible in the sense we could use go or come specifically. However, my Chinese teachers are saying that in Chinese it is strictly one or the other, and in this case you must say "go to the party".

Are they right? Is there a way to say "coming to the party" in the Chinese besides being the host of the party?

Let's "come together" and think about this, shall we?

Not exactly, my friends and I (we r Chinese) often throw parties outside, and when we wanted to comfirm if a person would come to the party, we would say:"Are you coming?"(Ni hui lai ma?)

Even if the party is held in someones apartment, we still may ask the same thing.

But, if the party is hosted by one person and he invites others to come, guests would ask"will you go there"instead.

This is what I have acknowledged.

I mean some between us, if the party is held by someone who we are not familiar with. We probably use the word 'go'.

To clarify, the difference between the use of 'come'&'go' depends on the user's sense of host or guest. If they feel they'll be a guest and will be served, they use 'go', otherwise they use 'come'.

ok, maybe I am not clearly explaining myself.

A, B, and C are in a house. They have planned on GOING to a shopping mall or store at 2:00. At 2:00, A and B are at the door ready to leave. C is lying on the couch reading a book.

A says, "C, we're about to go, are you coming or not?"

If you read "coming" as being "coming with us to the store" then does Chinese use LAI or CHU in this case?

ok, maybe I am not clearly explaining myself.

A, B, and C are in a house. They have planned on GOING to a shopping mall or store at 2:00. At 2:00, A and B are at the door ready to leave. C is lying on the couch reading a book.

A says, "C, we're about to go, are you coming or not?"

If you read "coming" as being "coming with us to the store" then does Chinese use LAI or CHU in this case?

This is another case. I show you the Chinese answer.

A会说:“C,我们要去商店,你一起去吗?”(the speaker supposes he is away from the shop)

or

A会说:“C,我们下午2点会在商店购物,你会来吗?”(the speaker supposes he is in the shop)