Chinese-Forums

Same thing, different names

skylee

*sigh* I think 生奶油 is wrong actually. I've searched a bit more, but originally I found it in a dictionary using the pinyin search criteria of "xiannaiyou" and it came up with one suggestion "生奶油". I thought that 生shēng was the wrong pronunciation according to what I'd heard in my ear (which was indeed xian1), so I thought it was odd.. but since I'd found it, I thought it sounded reasonable.

Either way, I think we should strike it off the list as what I think I've heard is 鮮奶油, and that is correct.

Sorry!:oops:

Either way, I think we should strike it off the list as what I think I've heard is 鮮奶油, and that is correct.

No worries. The term does exist. Take a look ->

http://hk.dictionary.yahoo.com/search.html?s=%A5%CD%A5%A4%AAo

http://dict.baidu.com/s?wd=%C9%FA%C4%CC%D3%CD&tn=dict

自製鮮奶油/生奶油

自從前幾天找到「免烤箱起士蛋糕食譜」後,就一直懷疑「生奶油」到底是什麼鬼啊?今天到網路查了些資料後才知道,原來「生奶油」就是「鮮奶油」啦

*phew* I was a bit worried there!!:mrgreen: So whipped cream is 生奶油!! hahaha!! :D

Just thought of a new one:

Red wine, white pine, grape wine etc:

葡萄酒 pú​tao​jiǔ​ (grape wine)

红葡萄酒 hóngpú​tao​jiǔ​ (red grape wine)

白葡萄酒 bái​pú​tao​jiǔ​ (white grape wine)

红酒 hóngjiǔ​ (red wine)

白酒 bái​jiǔ​ (white wine)

Edited by Shi Tong

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought of a new one:

Red wine, white pine, grape wine etc:

葡萄酒 pú​tao​jiǔ​ (grape wine)

红葡萄酒 hóngpú​tao​jiǔ​ (red grape wine)

白葡萄酒 bái​pú​tao​jiǔ​ (white grape wine)

红酒 hóngjiǔ​ (red wine)

白酒 bái​jiǔ​ (white wine)

On the Mainland 白酒 can mean a strong liquor.

There is another term 餐酒 (table wine), which usually is red wine (but also includes white and rose).

instant noodles - 即食麵。速食麵。方便麵。泡麵。。。。。

即食麵 [Cantonese], 速食麵 [Mandarin? via Guangzhouhua (Cantonese used in China, as opposed to HK, or other regions)?], 方便麵 [Mandarin via Japanese?], 泡麵 [via Korean?]

skylee:

Concrete: an artificial, stonelike material used for various structural purposes, made by mixing cement and various aggregates, as sand, pebbles, gravel, or shale, with water and allowing the mixture to harden.
Cement: any of various calcined mixtures of clay and limestone, usually mixed with water and sand, gravel, etc., to form concrete, that are used as a building material.

So one is already mixed up, ready to use and becomes hard like rock. The other is the base material which you mix with water etc.. it's a bit like the difference between flour and bread :)

This is not exclusive to Hokkien or Taiwanese. 阿嬷 is also used for 奶奶 in Cantonese, but the tone is different.

Aha.. interesting, thanks! :)

One thing I thought of that I remember now is this.. why dont they have two names for lemon and lime in Mandarin?

As far as I know, it's all 柠檬 níng​méng​.. I've looked it up just now, but I've never heard of 青柠 qīng​níng​.. usually I have to tell my mother in law:

绿色的柠檬.. grrrrrrr.r>RRRR!!!:x

As far as I know lime (the fruit) is 青檸. But I have found another name 酸橙 on the internet, which frankly I had not heard of. But regional differences of such names are not uncommon. See the names for potato, broccoli and cucumber.

I found some people getting confused between 酸橙 and 酸豆 (olives and capers), which is also annoying.:lol:

Skylee, I'm curious to know how to say Pak Choi in Mandarin. I've heard a few times the term "bao1 cai4" (包/苞菜???) but I'm very unsure.. and whereas most of the time I get a good clear answer for what vegetable is what.. pak choi seems to be one of those things.

And I cant always say "pak3 choi1" in my "Cantosneeze", because people dont understand it.:mrgreen:

Either way.. do you know the Han Zi, or what people call it in Mandarin?

Thanks!! :D

oooh.. edit this new one in:

澳大利亚 (Ào​dà​lì​yà​) (australia)

澳洲 (Ào​zhōu) (australia)

I'm more used to the second one.:mrgreen:

And I cant always say "pak3 choi1" in my "Cantosneeze", because people dont understand it.

Either way.. do you know the Han Zi

It is simply 白菜.

Isn't instant noodles called 公仔麵 in cantonese????

公仔麵 is a HK brand name (and a brand that I don't particularly like). People sometimes use it to refer to the brand, sometimes instant noodles in general.

It is simply 白菜.

oooh.. interesting.. I thought that 白菜 and 大白菜 were different though the definition is bok choy/ Chinese cabbage.

IMO what I know of 大白菜 is much more like a long savoy cabbage with tight peelable leaves.

Pak Choi always looks like it's formed like a strange kind of celery, with soft large curvy stalks and the leaves get greener on the ends. I like to put it on top of niu2rou4mian4!:mrgreen:

That makes me even more confused!:wall hahaha!!

Motorcycle =

摩托車 [摩托 is from the English word "motor"]

電單車 [單車 = Cantonese for "bicycle"]

機動車 (shortened to 机车 in China) [機動 = "To maneuver"]

鐵馬 [ = Chinese slang for motorcycle: literally, "Iron Horse"]

Edited by trien27

澳大利亚 (Ào​dà​lì​yà​) (australia)

澳洲 (Ào​zhōu) (australia)

澳大利亚 (Ào​dà​lì​yà​) IS "Australia".

Note: 澳洲 = short for "Australia" in Chinese, which is used colloquially & written also, but 澳大利亚 is used in somewhat like a term paper or research paper.

Somehow in Chinese, the s in "Australia" disappeared becoming literally "Autralia" if you were to transfer it back phonetically via Chinese. :P