Chinese-Forums

Lisa Ling, Yao Ming, and the interculture dating stereotype

bhchao

I found an interesting interview conducted with Lisa Ling, the former co-host of the television show The View.

Many people think that Asian-Americans only date non-Asians. If you read the interview, she breaks that stereotype. She says it does not matter if she is dating another Asian, as long as she is interested in that person, whether that person be Asian or Caucasian. Previously she had a relationship with Rick Yune and even went out with Yao Ming.

Personally I like her (even though she is not great-looking, which is not important). If you had a chance to watch The View previously, you would have found her extremely likable due to her great personality.

http://goldsea.com/Personalities2/Linglisa2/linglisa2.html

Segments from the interview:

GS: ...and to this day it's one of the most popular features.

LL: Can you change that picture? I was like nineteen. Have you seen the funny one with Yao Ming? It is hysterical.

GS: How tall are you?

LL: I'm 5-6. He's 7-6.

I took him out a couple of times. He never ever ever goes out. I forced him. “Yao Ming, you cannot continue hiding. You must go out. Let's go out!” I took him out and it was unbelievable. I took him to a little trendy cafe in LA. I've been out with like Britney Spears and no one has gotten the attention Yao Ming got. As soon as we walked in, the entire restaurant simultaneously ceased all conversation. And they all at the same time looked up. And they started breaking out, “Yo, Yao! Yo Yao!” It was so unbelievable.

He's so lovely.

I just want to say, I have always always been attracted to Asian men. In a perfect world I will marry and have a billion babies with an Asian man but Asian men have never asked me out.

I had to ask Rick out. That's my thing. If there's any Asian man in general I've wanted to go out with, I ask him out.

GS: Yes, some Asian American women have complained about that...

LL: I wish that they knew that that is part of the reason. I want to say to them, “Step up to the plate!”

Instead of realizing that that might be an issue, it's like, “Oh, she only dates white guys.” There's this sort of closet underground criticism that happens. Take a second to review why this may be!

GS: We have a couple of articles about that...

LL: Please alert as many men as possible. I'm so happy because I went out with a great Corean guy the other day who actually called me![/u]

She says it does not matter if she is dating another Asian, as long as she is interested in that person, whether that person be Asian or Caucasian. Previously she had a relationship with Rick Yune and even went out with Yao Ming.
I just want to say, I have always always been attracted to Asian men. In a perfect world I will marry and have a billion babies with an Asian man but Asian men have never asked me out.

Sounds kind of like it does matter to her and she prefers Asian guys, no?

Anyway, nothing wrong with preferences. Everyone has them. I know I do.

Sounds kind of like it does matter to her and she prefers Asian guys, no?

I think you misinterpreted what she said. She wanted to give the impression that she is not one of those stereotypes that completely shun Asian men and go for Caucasian men instead.

What do you mean by preferences? As in preferring a particular ethnic origin? If that is what you meant, then I see no problem with that because I have preferences, but I am willing to make exceptions if that person is to my liking excluding the ethnicity factor.

What do you mean by preferences? As in preferring a particular ethnic origin?

Yeah. It's politcally incorrect, but I know that certain appearances appeal to me and others not so much. I also know that _everyone_ is attracted by appearances first (unless it's some sort of rare situation). Nice thing is that what one person thinks is not attractive makes another person's motor run :D