Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Fall/Autumn 2010

bunny87

@asianguy: really? This is getting weirder and weirder... Like Posche, I finally got confirmation from FSAO that I would get an AB room and didn't need to book it in advance. Are you studying Chinese Language or a Master, I can't remember? It may be that Master/Phd students get a private room (or relatively private, in the case of AB ones), because we're considered "mature" students -- I think I read something like that somewhere once.

Well, I applied for my visa yesterday, and I'm still surprised at how smoothly everything went! Waited 10mn, handed the girl copies of my passport, Physical Examination Form, Blood Tests, JW Form and Admission Notice -- she took a quick look in 30 seconds, scribbled something down on a piece of paper and handed it to me, and that was it! I just have to go back next Friday to pick it up and I'll be done. Between that and finally booking my plane ticket (650€, yikes! But it's a direct flight and I'm allowed 30kg checked in + 10kg -- thanks Air China!!), it feels like I'm almost there already.

By the way, I suppose everybody's finally bought/buying their tickets, so when will you all be there? It could be useful to make a list/summary in one post if we want to meet. I'll be there on August 30th at 12h30!

Edit: @asianguy again: those who got the Tsinghua scholarship will have to work either as TA or RA, apparently. No clue about those of us who got CSC scholarship, but I don't think so.

@ MGMT: Since you got the physical done, I had a question about the physical examination for foreigners form that needs to be filled out. Is it okay to have it done by our regular primary doctor or do I need to go to a hospital to get this all done? The bottom mentions an official stamp...and I'm reading around and some people say they got it done by their regular doctor and others went to a hospital. I'd be so grateful for an answer to help clarify all this confusion!! @_@

@laurl: not sure I can be of much help. For the CSC application I didn't even do any test and got the Form filled out by my GP like you, and apparently it was enough. Same thing for the visa, except I also made him stamp my picture, and I got blood tests done by a general lab (not private, but not a public hospital either). Again, it seems it was enough. OTOH, I read the same things you did and I think for the residence permit, they'll be very strict about what they accept; from what I understood the form can be filled up by your doctor, but the tests have to be done and stamped in a public hospital (and of course it should be in chinese or english, so the translation should be validated by a higher authority). So I guess my answer is: depends what you'll use the form for.

@laurl

I am pretty sure the general doctor should be alright, at least thats what I did when I first studied in China and then there was no problem at all. What they always mentioned to us back then is that Chinese are crazy about RED stamps! If the stamp is not red then they will not accept it. Well it was the official German Academic Exchange Organization which told us that, but anyway I dare to say it is pretty much bullshit! But then of course I dont know and back then I went to a damn shop to buy a red stamp pad because my doctor didnt have one... And then it doesnt matter so much where you do it. First one as mentioned I did in Germany with my normal doctor and this time I did it in 2 different hospitals in China (one of them rather private one I think) because the first one didnt have AIDS tests (pretty unsettling if u ask me!) and handed it in for the CSC which obviously accepted it. So not too much worries with that! And if everything goes wrong u just do it in Beijing!

@MGMT

U paid 650€ for a one way flight?? Aiya rough times these are!

And as mentioned sometime before I will be in Beijing on 30th as well so how about a nice welcome dinner with all people being there then?? Meeting point: 2m west of the entrance of the FSAO, where ever that is... :)

Hey all,

I got my visa in the mail today and it's multiple entry too which is nice since I'm only doing 1 semester (thinking of doing possible side trip if anyone is interested). Anyways I'll be getting in on 9/2 at 11pm. When are others arriving? If anyone else is going to be there early we should get something going so we can all meet up. Let me know. I'm getting pretty excited that this is all finally coming together.

I've not yet gotten my visas and booked my flight though I'm closer to booking my flight than getting my visa since my dad's headed to Xiamen in 2 weeks and wants me to tag along for a few days before going back home, then 3 weeks till Beijing. I'm weighing whether or not I should go as those few extra days would mean more hassle with other preparations.

I wanted to ask 2 things that have been bugging me recently. So on our arrival in Beijing (for ex, it's around Aug30), are we allowed to stay at the dorms right away? And would anyone know what would happen if for example we decide to get an apartment later but have booked the dorm for a sem (since the documents say you have to pay for an entire sem at the beginning). Also, who here is opening a bank account? I talked to my dad and he said that it's better I open my own account, ie Bank of China, as his China account won't work since it's all the way in Fujian or something like that. I don't know, it's getting a bit more confusing recently. -_-

Would appreciate any clarifications on this matter. Thanks~

@letsgo: Yo, I'll be arriving in Beijing on the same day at around the same time! hahah. Are you flying Korean Air? Good to know that someone's gonna be there around the same time that I will be though.. Btw, you said you got a multi-entry. I am planning to apply for a multi-entry as well. Did you get an F or an X visa though? I am looking to getting an F visa only, but I don't know if they give out multi-entry visas for that kind.

I finally got my visa sorted out..jsut waiting for them to send it back now..i can't believe how quick it was...it took like 10 minutes. The woman told me they would only issue me with a single entry visa and i'd need to get it changed to the multiple entry and full visa when i registered at the police station...did anyone else get a similar situation, because im paranoid i'll end up with the wrong visa :/

I'm arriving on the 26th so hopefully we'll be allowed to move into our accom by then...and i know people have tried to explain the rent, but i still don't understand >< If we arrive earlier than the week beforehand do we pay $170 every day for the rest of the year??

@ScarlettWan. Are you studying for more than a year? Cuz they told me exactly the same thing, that they would give me a single entry X visa and once I get the residence permit in China I would have multiple entries.

I'll be arriving on the 26th too... midnight!! :o

Thanks MGMT and Posche for the info!

I've yet to book my flight just in case getting my visa is delayed...

@dolldalera: I'm going to be opening up a bank account most likely. They say its better to open up one there because of all the legal issues make having an account elsewhere more difficult and it's easier to access your money, especially it being your own account versus your dad's.

hi everyone,

i'm arriving 31st sept so hold off the party till i get there haha! i think i'm going to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights (as suggested from someone in the Summer 2010 thread) just to get my bearings, figure out what's going on, where everything is etc and then rock up to the accommodation place once i've confirmed the room i'm getting (def hope for a single room!).

getting my visa done tomorrow - BRING IT!

@nparbis: Cool. What were your plans for accommodations when you get in at night? I'm actually flying Delta. I just double checked and I actually received a 'double entry' and not 'multi entry' visa, which is still cool with me. I got a F visa. I just marked the 'double entry' field on the visa application when I sent it in. I have no idea what the criteria was for their decision but thought I'd give it a shot and luckily it came back with no problems.

@ScarlettWan: I might be wrong but I'm assuming you would have to pay the 170RMB per night for every night you are there prior to 1 week from the class start date. Once 1 week arrives you will be charged the 'favorable' or cheaper rate for the rest of the time.

That would make sense..thanks^^

Is anyone staying up to apply for accom?...I need to stay up till 1am to make it 9am beijing time...which normally wouldn't be so bad, if i didn't need to get up at 6am for work =.= Lets hope the accomodation application goes smoothly :/

Hey I applied via the accommodation website at UK time 9am which is probably Beijing time 5pm (late huh!) and under reservation NO rooms were available! No single rooms, no AB rooms, no double rooms!

So either I'm super late or there's a glitch somehow. Anyhoos, I've emailed my application through instead...am hoping it's a glitch and I'm not having to find my own accommodation cos that'll be a big time stress...

Wondering how others got on...

naz