Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Fall/Autumn 2010

bunny87

thanks curlytopps,

and on the registration guide it says:

7: For the new students who check in just one week before the registration time on the admission notice, we charge as the favorable room price. For those who check in before one week, we charge normal room price fro the days ahead of time.

so what is the favorable price ? registration begins on Sept 6th. so if i check in between Monday August 30th and Monday September 6th I get a discount for the whole year ?

I really appreciate an answer to this one if anyone knows as I'm kinda watching the pennys // or fens as the case may be :)

cheers

Keep in mind the language barrier. The people in the admissions office are on crunch time right now and with limited resources. I was on the same program two years ago and had a blast. Be safe and enjoy!

Yes, taxis will be available at the airport. Yes, the check-in counter is available 24 hours 7 days a week. Please see following URI for more information:

http://hanyu.tsinghua.edu.cn/testing/faq.html#8

Thanks.

@4leaf - I read the "favourable price" to read as the discount rate Tsinghua is offering for those who book ahead (ie 80rmb for the single, 40 for the double etc)

So they are saying "if you come a few days early, we'll just charge you the discounted rate that you'll be paying throughout the semester. But if you come too early, we'll charge you the normal (higher) rate" I guess it's a convenience thing.

thats my reading of the form

hope this helps

thanks LMB

yeah that makes sense, i seen in what must be an old website about the discount price being 55 per day, so was a little confused, i guess i'll just show up and see what happens, i'm already in beijing but living in the other side so i'll probably check-in the weekend of the 4th/5th

To clarify about the dormitory charges :

On the admission package, it states that if you stay for more than 180 days , you are entitled to the favourable price. Based on the chinese version and from researching online. The price to be paid is - if you stay less than 180 days , you pay the normal price. If you stay more than 180 days, the first 180 days will be charged at the normal price and thereafter you will be charged the favourable price.

And... I noticed that someone mentioned that school starts on the 6th September... My program starts on the 3rd ! Hm... so how are they going to calculate the "one week before" ?

Hi again, sorry for not replying to previous posts re the visa -things were hectic etc etc. I'm assuming now is too late to reply about those matters but any questions please ask. I'm on the language program for Autumn/Fall semester and will be living in dorms. I'm from the UK. Currently in China, but arrive in Beijing next week. Please let me know if there are any meet-ups! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hey guys,

I got an AB room. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who lived already in an AB room or someone who has been inside one. I know they're kinda small but I was wondering just how small.

Btw, I'm almost a complete beginner, so I'm kinda stressed, I'm glad some of y'all are in the same boat :)

@North_Burrito: From what I gathered the normal room price is 170 rmb/day. You only pay this amount for any days that you stay prior to 1 week before the registration date. Once 1 week before registration arrives, then you start paying the favorable price of 80 rmb/day. 80 rmb/day will be charged for each day you stay up until day 179 after which, if you are still staying there, the price drops to 70 rmb/day from day 180 forward.

For example, as it states in the admission package, if you stay for 200 days (assuming you don't arrive until 1 week before registration) the charges will be as follows: (80 rmb x 179 days) + (70 rmb x 21 days).

You do not need to stay for at least 180 days to get the favorable room price. All it is saying is if you stay at least 180 days your rate drops from 80 rmb to 70 rmb for the remainder of your stay. If your program starts 9/3 then I am assuming you would be able to start paying the favorable rate on 8/27. Any days you arrive before then would be charged the normal rate.

Let me know if you think this is wrong as it is a bit confusing and we may have different documents if we are in different programs.

Later.

Hey everyone, I'll be staying in the single room dorm! I'm excited but a little scared as well haha!

I checked www.thutraining.com on Aug 16 which said I successfully reserved a room but now the website won't load anymore for some reason...anyone else have this problem?

Did I have to print anything out from the website? Does anyone know which dorm number the single one is?

Merci B)

Does anyone know anything about the passport photo requirement for registration? The admission packet says to bring 8 passport photos which seems a bit ridiculous to me considering how much they cost, at least in the states. Do you think we could get around this by jut using color photos printed on normal paper as long as they meet the size requirement?

hey guys! im made it to beijing! :)

If you have time after your arrial, you might want to get the passport photos taken here...its cheaper, and everyones really nice and helpful even if your language skills aren't so good.

As for dorm rooms..i got my confirmation, but know nothing else as the site wont load :/

weather is beautiful ^^

Hey hey to one and all. Managed to get a scholarship to Tsinghua for the year but I haven't received any information outside of my letter of acceptance from the Uni. Have spoken to the embassy but got nothing back. Have noticed from the welcome pack that I should have received an admissions pack from the university, which would point me to an accomodation form or something? I haven't got that so am now unsure whether the dorm room which comes with the scholarship will be there when i arrive. HELP!!!!

P.s If anyone knows of a pretty and convenient locale to move into (my missus and I are looking to live off campus) please could you let me know. Ideally would like something quiet but with a nice community and good local amenities not too far from the Uni. Any advice?

Hi Scarlett!!

Yay found you on this forum :) Yeah the thutraining.com website doesn't seem to work anymore... and they never sent a confirmation email about the room reservations either... I guess we just have to turn up at the dormitory reception on the previously specified date and hopefully they have our info on their systems...

I wonder if anyone else is also waiting to have their HEALTH CHECK UP in BEIJING!!! Scarlett you did yours in the UK right? Did they give you the results instantly? If not then how long did you have to wait? I'll be arriving in Beijing on the 4th which is a Saturday, hope the hospitals can do these checkups over the weekend and I can have the results before the end of the registration period!!!

When do you move into the uni dorms?? Can't wait to meet you :)

Hi!

I am also starting a course in Chinese Language in a few weeks in Tsinghua. I literally do not know a word in Chinese, so i'm quite looking forward to the whole thing.

Anyways, i wanted to ask about the residence permit. I got a single-entry X visa, and I was told (like other people in this forum) to apply for a residence permit and then my visa will become multiple entry. I have to come back to Europe on the 25th for a personal matter for a couple of days, so my question was how long does it take to process the residence permit? is it done on the spot?

I mean, I will have to exit again 3 weeks after i've arrived, but i was wondering if that left me enough time for my visa to become "multiple entry", so that i am allowed back into the country!

Thanks!