Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Fall/Autumn 2010

bunny87

Hey...theres quite alot of agencies nearby the univeristy area, so yo can just go in to ask if you want to live off campus...make sure you look around though, was with a friend looking for a flat yday and we saw some really nice ones...and some really bad ones. Prices were varying from 2700-4000 for one room flat.

~

I didn't get my health checkup done in the uk in the end, they didn't have enough appointments for the full thing as it takes up to a month in the UK. So will be going to get it done in beijing..went to the hospital yday only to find out they dont do it on saturdays...monday-fridays only =.= Im at Hanting in dongzhimen atm..will be moving into dorms on tuesday...see you soon!

i got an AB room as well. Coming in wednesday...I'm getting all antsy about this whole trip. Its been so hard trying to get rid of things and pack for a whole year abroad. Anyone else doing the Chinese Language program or in the AB room?

Also glad to hear the weather is nice...I've been worried that it might be TOO hot, especially compared to weather here in SF. how's the air quality?

hello guys *waving from UK still* I'm offskies to Beijing tomorrow so will be touching down on Tuesday Beijing time 6.30pm or so. Would be excellent to meet up with people during the days before reg. officially starts :)

See you all v soon!

hey guys... will be arriving and moving in on saturday sept 4th, gotta say i'm pretty pumped about the whole thing..

out of couriosity, who's enrolled in a non-chinese language programs here? i'm in the economics and management program myself... doesn't seem like there are many on my boat :(

Hey guys...went to do my full body checkup today...it cost me 143RMB...was done in an hour and 10 minutes...and i can collect it on wednesday! :) My friend got it done in the uk for £98, and it took 3 seperate appointments, and over a month to collect haha

I'm moving into the dorms tomorrow, so hopefully will start meeting people soon...and those not in dorms...cya in class ^^

@calif90071 I went to chaoyang hospital...i took a taxi from dongzhimen...im guesing its going to be around the same price everywhere though....but very happy with how quick and easy it was.

Did forget to mention...had a major problem with the banks....for some reason we cannot transfer money with our british bank account to chinese account, and no explanation given. we were with a native speaking friend who was translating for us, so it wasn't a case of miscommunication...and they wouldn't let as withdraw any over the counter either....their solution was to withdraw the sum we wanted bit by bit through the atm, which would have cost about 10% of the transaction as theres a daily limit for british accounts =.= Just a hint for others comming from other countries, especially uk...bring what currency you can, its very easy to exchange, but difficult to transfer =.=

Hey there! Me and @chinagirl and 3 of our other friends arrived in Beijing on the 30th. We already opened our bank accounts and toured around a small part of the university.

For those who are interested, there's a Bank of China near enough to the international dorms. 4 of my friends opened their accounts at Bank of China. I opened mine at ICBC.

Also, just in case some of you are curious, weather here is okay, a bit hot I guess. Not too hot. Bring an umbrella with you in your handcarry as I've noticed that it sometimes drizzles. So just in case you're a bit iffy about getting wet, just have one with you. Annoying though, I've had a clogged nose since I got here and I can't seem to get rid of it yet. Hopefully it'll go away soon....it's so hard to be understood this way. :)

Best of luck to all those coming here soon. Hope to meet you guys soon during the enrollment and such. :)

.for some reason we cannot transfer money with our british bank account to chinese account, and no explanation given

You can do it, but you can't initiate the transfer from the Chinese bank. You'll need to get an international transfer form from your UK bank, complete and sign that and send it back. And obviously you can't do that until you've got here and opened an account . . .

Incidentally, if you're doing that be absolutely precise with the names on the form - Chinese banks will gleefully send back a transfer if it's going to John Smith and they have an account in the name of Smith, John.

ni hao da jia.

i just moved into my AB room yesterday...definitely overpacked.

Would anyone like to meet up...or like to run errands & explore together?

Its a little hard doing anything when all I can really say is ni hao and xie xie :(

Hope to hear back from some of you all! :D

Hey guys!

Thanks for the heads up Scarlett and Roddy - yep - I was so lost in translation at the banks today and although I did manage to open an account, when I mentioned the word (or rather hand motioned) 'transfer' customer service started raising their voices at me and I was like heeeelllp!!! So I might just find HSBC in Beijing (since I've an HSBC UK account) and ask them for an international wodgamacallits to start a transfer going. hum....

Am still hunting for a place to live - am going to be viewing flats tomorrow morning...how are other people finding the flat hunting situation?

@Caelum305: am definitely up for meeting at some point to run errands (where does one buy bedding and a hairdryer for example...?!) But will probably do so in the weekend if I manage to sort out where I'm living...