Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University

Jenmia

@MGMT: You're right, I was checking the other thread and saw that ALL dorm rooms were already booked!!! I did manage to book a single room, though it still says "unconfirmed", so I wouldn't start celebrating just yet haha.

@sugahigh: If my room booking happens to fail, I would be interested in looking for a flat too. Let's see first what my reservation result is.

Oh and about your concern of Westerners against Asians, I'd say don't worry about it. At least in my case, I am actually very keen in befriending Asians (especially Chinese)... that's one of the main reasons of me going to China for a degree!! We have alot to learn from you guys :)

@ Bunnyrabbit,

Got an email back from tsinghua saying that I cannot reserve a room on the basis that all the available rooms have been reserved! I'm interested in sharing a place with a fellow MID so if you're not successful too maybe we can look for one together?

Let me know :)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone on this post,

I am actually considering MID at Tsinghua and any advice from you will be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, I am at BLCU as a language student and would love to talk to people who are already in the program.

I visited the website but it doesn't seem to say what I need to know:S

how do you find the program in general?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

hi All -

I'm also very interested in hearing about the experiences of those who are in the MID program. I just joined the Chinese-forums.com today and still trying to figure out how to navigate. But if anyone is still reading this thread and responding - I'd love to hear your thoughts on...

What do you enjoy most about the program?

Highlights of the program?

What was your academic/professional background going into the program?

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

I contacted the office this week. It took a few days for them to respond (there has been a national holiday in China this week), but I was told that the sending of the pre-admission letters has been postponed due to a second review by the Foreign Students' Affairs Office. No word on how much longer it will take but should only be a few days.... right?!?!

Guys, i just found out, accepted with full scholarship. I am opening a seperate conversation called Tsinghua - MID 2011 so we can start posting there! (and I'm deleting it, so we can keep all the discussion in one place. Admin)

cheers,

vivian

wow, i got told by admin... :mellow:

anyway, I got the SPPM scholarship.

Do you guys mind telling where you are from, I want to have an idea of the diversity of the group. I am from paraguay, but have been living abroad for quite a while, I am currently in Israel.

Vivian

wow, i got told by admin... :mellow:

anyway, I got the SPPM scholarship.

Do you guys mind telling where you are from, I want to have an idea of the diversity of the group. I am from paraguay, but have been living abroad for quite a while, I am currently in Israel.

Vivian

• New Members

For those that have already obtained the scholarship, what is your background? I, like others, am interested in this programme but as with all things related to China and the scholarships there seems to be very little information.

Obviously 18months is longer than an Msc in the West and a large commitment if the course is lacking. Any ideas as to if this Msc would help much in relation to seeking employment in China? Without Chinese is it any help? Similarly would employers back home even recognise the course as one better than one at even say a mid tier domestic university?

Personally it looks very interesting but 18months is a long time to lose valuable experience back home if the benefits are little more than personal satisfaction.

• New Members

The program is 24 months, not 18. You won't have any courses during the last semester, though, you'll just be writing your thesis -- but you have to be there at the end of June to defend it, and you won't graduate before.

Tsinghua is one of the (if not the) best university in China, so if your goal is to work here, it's certainly going to help to get a degree from there. But if you want to work here, you'll need to speak Chinese.

Heads up to those who got the SPPM scholarship: SPPM offers no funding for 2nd year MID students, so whatever it says on your letter, chances are you won't get anything for the second year. (You can still apply to the Beijing/Tsinghua scholarship at the end of the first year, of course, but it's extremely competitive and almost everyone applies).