Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University

Jenmia

• New Members
The program is 24 months, not 18. You won't have any courses during the last semester, though, you'll just be writing your thesis -- but you have to be there at the end of June to defend it, and you won't graduate before.

Tsinghua is one of the (if not the) best university in China, so if your goal is to work here, it's certainly going to help to get a degree from there. But if you want to work here, you'll need to speak Chinese.

Heads up to those who got the SPPM scholarship: SPPM offers no funding for 2nd year MID students, so whatever it says on your letter, chances are you won't get anything for the second year. (You can still apply to the Beijing/Tsinghua scholarship at the end of the first year, of course, but it's extremely competitive and almost everyone applies).

Yes, it is 24months not 18. Not sure where I got that mixed up.

I understand Tsinghua is the best University in China. My point however is that whilst it is well known in China, it most probably won't be by employers outside of China. As has been stated many times on this forum, employability in China is limited without special skill (years of experience/niche knowledge) or a high level of literacy in Chinese; which as we all also know takes years of hard work. Therefore what use 'in the real world' does this course have for one who cannot speak Chinese?

Don't get me wrong, im not knocking the course, university or anything along those lines, im just trying to weigh up 24months of career/experience loss against the potential gains from this course. Personally the course content looks interesting and I'd love to study the course at Tsinghua. Whilst it may fullfill personal goals however, the prospect of not working or earning for 2 years for a degree which does not hold much weight outside of China (where one could argue time may be better spent studying the Language if working in China is an aim)is one that should be carefully considered.

To the moderators: What rules did my username break that resulted in you having to change it?

• New Members

IMO, doing MID will be useful for you if you're in one of several cases:

- you really want to spend time in China, but don't want to "sacrifice" one or two years teaching english or something like that. Doing MID allow you to be here while getting a good degree at the same time.

- you're planning to specialize your future studies or career on something related to China -- but not *in* China. In that case, IMO, although employer/universities will wonder why you don't speak Chinese, your experience will certainly be an advantage for you in comparison to all those who stayed home to study the same things.

- you want to work in China. In that case, you have another possibility: start learning Chinese now so that you won't be completely lost when you get here and can keep practicing; do all of your courses in one year (several people are doing that); spend your summer and second year intensively learning chinese. Or you could not rush your courses and just take lessons on the side for two years, but I personally don't think it's as effective.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a piece of information for everyone who has been admitted to MID with scholarships.

DO NOT count on keeping those scholarships for the whole duration of the program. It's a common practice that the faculty gives out scholarships but does not grant them on the second year. This is to make students enroll to Qinghua and then make them pay full tuition on the second year.. pure Chinese business practice.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am curious to know how this program has been working out for you all.

Is it difficult to get accepted into the program?

Is it challenging/interesting?

How are the professors?

What is the level of censorship with sensitive topics?

Do you know if a lot of the students who have graduated from the program

have landed good/worthwhile jobs in international development?

Also, do you know of a better contact email address of the MID program? I

emailed the one of the website

(mid@tsinghua.edu.cn<http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/MIE2011/mid@tsinghua.edu.cn>)

twice, but have had no reply.

Let me know if you have a chance.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Glad to see this thread! I'm from the U.S. and applying for the MID program for August of 2012. To my understanding, to be considered for the CSC scholarship or university scholarship, applications must be received by December 31st.

I'll be mailing all my materials this week--I'll keep you posted!

Would love to chat with anyone else applying for August 2012.

Thanks!

Dear all,

I'm also applying for the MID program for August of 2012. I'm new in this forum, and I also would enjoy very much to chat anyone who is applying now, so Gwaimui, whenever you want!

A question: do anyone knows when they will announce the list of accepted students?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: woo!

Date application was received by Tsinghua: December 31st, 2011

Acceptance email: January 17th, 2012

The MID office said:

- The "official offer of admission letter" will be sent in the beginning of June, 2012

- Scholarships decisions will be announced in March

Question: Does anyone know if I still have to apply for the CSC scholarship? I checked a box on my application that I would like Tsinghua to recommend me for it. Do I still have to do the separate application? I emailed the MID office. I'm sure others are wondering about this, so I will let you know if I get any further information.

See you in fall of 2012 ? :)

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi all,

I received an e-mail with the same information as gwaimui, super excited and will probably be at Tsinghua in the fall!

I'm wondering the same thing, whether or not to apply for the CSC scholarship... For now I'm planning to apply just to be safe, but if you could give us a heads up if you hear anything that would be great.

Thanks!

Ahhh! I didn't apply for the MID program, but I did apply for the MIR program. I haven't heard anything yet :(.

They only told me to contact them '"on the middle of March for the decision''.

But you guys have already heard if you've been accepted for the MID program. Now I'm stressed... :(

Hey all,

I sent a message to the main MID email asking about the CSC situation. I received a prompt response saying that I was already being considered for the scholarship and did not have to do a separate application. WOO! I am relieved I don't have to do that medical exam and get new recommendations.

Andy--I think if you checked the CSC box on the scholarship application form (Foreigner’s Application Form for Tsinghua University Scholarships) and they received it by Dec 31st, you are totally fine!

I'm always a bit worried about getting information from the wrong person though...it wouldn't hurt for you to also send an email and double confirm for everyone!

They said they would notify everyone about scholarships in March. **fingers crossed**

and Kike--

Don't worry! Every message I receive is from the MID department, not the SPPM department. The MIR department probably just has a different schedule. I also might assume they have more applicants than MID.

Good luck!

Hi inessa2017,

Yes I am part of the MID2010 stream, so thesis-willing, I will finish in July 2012. There is no 'major' but more like a series of development and management-related courses taught. If you want to know more specifically re the content and opinions of MID, PM me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

I recently applied for this programme and I was wondering what its like? I mean in terms of the teaching, accommodation (how is the heating in winter?), and international student support? Also, is there any chance for international students to be involved the student body or for them to make clubs?

All advice welcome! Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...