Chinese-Forums

Feeling exhausted after eating a pepper?

edelweis

I got some take-away from a Chinese restaurant today (a new one with recently immigrated Chinese staff from the north of China, and the food is usually quite good, much better than old greasy-style restaurants that abound here) and poured half of each portion in a plate. Two strands of vegetables got caught in the fork tins, one green and one black, from the "cumin lamb" dish.

Without thinking I chewed and swallowed. At the same time I got the hiccups and my mouth felt on fire. It turned out the "black thing" was actually a red pepper. Now I'd eaten red peppers before but in tiny tiny morsels with lots of rice in the same mouthful and got no bad results beyond a runny nose and a tingly mouth and feeling suddenly very very awake.

This time after I had doused the fire and hiccups with rice, I though I would be fine. Actually I started feeling exhausted and cold after the meal with a slightly disturbed stomach, decided to "have a nap", and slept the afternoon away.

There were no intestinal dysfunctions :mrgreen: so I think I can rule out lack of hygiene and attribute the exhaustion to the red pepper alone.

Anyone have had this kind (or any kind, or lack) of reaction to red peppers?

I'd say that the exhaustion would have come from the adrenaline rush that took place when you ingested that pepper. When the rush subsides, there is usually a feeling of tiredness as your body recovers from the experience. Hope the food was worth it :D

I'm jealous you have a great Chinese food restaurant near you. There aren't any good ones around here (that I like, anyway).

Thank you for the replies.

It may have been a mix of the adrenaline rush, too much MSG, and a difficult digestion (the hiccups are a sign my stomach did not like the surprise any more than my tongue, plus I was hungry and my stomach was empty when I ate that pepper, so there may have been some kind of chemical reaction in there between the pepper and stomach acid).

One previous time I'd had food from that restaurant, I did notice I was not in top form afterwards... I thought I had merely eaten too much, but actually could it be the MSG? (or both eating too much and the MSG).

The surprise factor may have played a role... so I think I will pass on the scientific testing :mrgreen: for the peppers aspect at least. I think I will get food from that restaurant at least one more time to test the MSG aspect...