Chinese-Forums

杜拉拉升职记 Go Lala Go

Outofin

Everything is incredibly fake, not only people and stage sets, but also characters, relationships, and stories. But...who care? They're beautiful, young and rich. Lala, the main character, is done very well. I think this movie has a good market out there.

Disappointing. Worth watching because of the eng-chn subtitles, so, from the linguistic point of view is still a good experience (even if the weirdness of the half chinese - half english dialouges is on high levels).

I was expecting more from Xu Jinglei, having watched her A letter from an unkown woman. This is kinda shallow, I'm not into comedie but it feels like watching The devils wears prada without Meryl Streep.

Still I find Xu Jinglei pretty, not the usual skinny type... she's fascinanting. The part I liked the most were the opening credits, eh eh.

Watching a good tv serie still feels much better, this movie has a lot of glamour, product placing and not much more, it's a pity.

I took my girlfriend to see it here in Xiamen since she had enjoyed the book and was eager to see the adaption. She was more disappointed than I was and understandably so; the book supposedly gives an inspiring morale boost and strategy to new ladies entering offices on how to be successful. I haven't read the book but I can easily see how the film ignored pretty much all of the message the book is supposed to give - that new graduate women can indeed become very successful and respected in the tough office world (I don't mean to sound sexist at all by saying that, not my intention, just being frank), and that it doesn't take some super connected background to do so.

[spoilerS ahead for those who haven't seen it] The film instead took out all of that and left viewers with just about the opposite message - Lala is seen as almost effortlessly sailing up the corporate ladder, showing you almost none of her achievements over the years apart from a growing ego, and she eventually becomes the boss's secretary and beyond...shortly after doing something you probably saw coming anyway, which I bet is the message the book didn't want to encourage. Not that the incident doesn't happen in the book anyway, but in far different circumstances. Lala soon turns pretty egotistical, flaunting her high position around surprisingly unjealous colleagues, binging on chocolate when stressed and then biting a chunk out of the boss's account when she's even more stressed; buying a car which seems to serve no purpose other than showing where a quarter of the film's funding probably came from.

Agreed with the others here in the end; it's a 'glossy shiny' film with a lot of fakeness, probably to try and attract a more mainstream audience for more money, instead of really following the book. The message of the film seems to be that a women can be successful...by getting quickly close to the boss and bedding him. Rather sexist, and not quite the inspiration students are probably hoping for.

• 2 months later...

It was so sad to watch the movie after reading the books. If somebody has read the book(s), and not watched the movie, I'd definitely recommend you to not watch or atleast turn off the volume. The pictures of Beijing were great through.

• 1 month later...

I ended up watching all of this. Thought it was puerile rubbish. Kudos to whoever thought of packaging a third-rate love story up as a second-rate female white-collar aspirational empowerment story though.

But...who care?

Anyone who doesn't want their intelligence insulted. I have a high dross tolerance, but . . .