Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

L visa to X is it possible ?


Recommended Posts


I am planing to study Chinese in Shanghai from early june of 2010 to july of 2011, but to take information about universities' condations and Chinese programmes is so hard, because they dont respond by mail. Fot this reason ı would like to visit universities to apply as personally.

Could ı apply any university for over 1 year Chinese education with L visa and change my visa status from L to X ?

hope anyone can help me about this matter...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.


Yes. The school can handle changing your L (tourist) visa to an X (student) visa for you. It requires a physical exam, some photos, and some money. The length of the visa may not be exactly what you want.

Lots of threads about doing that on this forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have contact with a university last day and asked them the same question. Their reply was negative. according to them till this year changing any visa status to X visa for international students was possible but after that the role is not avaliable to change visa status.

it is true or not ı am really in wonder ?

are you sure that it is possible ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest you may have to travel out of the country (to Hong Kong) to do this, but, this is cheap and relatively easy. You don't say what nationality you are? This can make a huge difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

L to X visa - is the option that almost all universities are offering to their students. After your arrival you should pass through a medical check as soon as possible. The results you can get after 1 week. After that the university can help you to apply for a X visa. This is the only way how you can convert L to X visa in China.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 years later...
  • New Members



firstly sorry for my English.


My situation is this:  I did not get CI schoolarship but at the Yunnan Normal University they told me it is still OK to apply and be selffunding student. So I payed application fee and get without problem accepted to this University. Now they told me to buy plane ticket to Kunming and apply for L - tourist visa and after my arival will be change to X visa. 


Problem is what to do to get L visa? I have got plate ticket to China, insurance for 30 days, pass porf and all that stuff. I do NOT have plane ticket from China, and Invitation letter OR tour plan with my plan where I will go and where i will live and with hotel booking. 


So my question is should I call Czech embassy and ask - or rather not and make some booking and buy plane ticket and make up some tour plan for few days ?? 

Invitation letter would be the best oprtion but now they are not replying eventhoug we are chatting on Weechat - maybe have hollydays or something like this. 


Any help will be very great! Thank you very much all of you :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...