Chinese-Forums

甚 and 裏

leosmith

I learned that the traditional form of shen2me is 甚麼, but I usually see it written 什麼.

I learned that the traditional form of jia1li3 is 家裏, but I usually see it written 家裡. Will I ever see 甚 and 裏? Is it worth studying them?

甚 also shows up in other words. 裏 is a variant of a word that is so common that you'll probably come across it. And yes, it is worth studying them.

Yes, the simplified characters are straight forward. The one other issue that's a little confusing is that I learned 里 means inside & kilometer in simplified, but is only used for kilometer in traditional. If this is true, there is a simplified character that has a different meaning in traditional writing, which I thought was taboo. Have I got this wrong?

Yes, the simplified characters are straight forward. The one other issue that's a little confusing is that I learned 里 means inside & kilometer in simplified, but is only used for kilometer in traditional. If this is true, there is a simplified character that has a different meaning in traditional writing, which I thought was taboo. Have I got this wrong?

I'm from China mainland so I can just read traditional Chinese but can't write accurately. I think traditonal Chinese now has a smaller user base today, so I won't learn it, everyone knows simplified one.

Yes it's sort of confusing. 里 is a measure unit in history, but now it can be "inside" as well. Why is this happening?

Tradtional Chinese are basically graphic-based characters, so they seems intricate and looks like pictures. 里 is simply a stone that is set into land (土), hence it means "milestone".

裏 I guess is a like something (申) is inside one's coat(衣), hence "inside".

Today Chinese characters has been implified greatly so that it can be easily learnt and read. And characters like 里 are not a fully graphic character anymore. Hongkong and Taiwan are still using traditional characters but I think they will finally adopt the simple one.

If this is true, there is a simplified character that has a different meaning in traditional writing, which I thought was taboo. Have I got this wrong?
里 means 'mile' in both simplified and traditional, it just got an additional meaning in simplified. This happens quite often, I don't think there is such a taboo. An older example is 才, meaning 'only then' and 'talent'; the first meaning was originally written differently, with a lot more strokes.

There only 什么 and 家里 in Simplified Chinese.

Each character of Chinese-traditional had a story that will help you to understand the origin of the word.

But Simplified Chinese is more easier to learn than Traditional.

Therefore,we always know the meaning of the traditional characters when we are reading,but use Simplified Chinese when we are writing.

• Like 1

TBH, I've found quite often that simplified characters make so little sense that they're harder to remember.

Of course, traditional ones often have so many strokes it's easy to miss one.

It probably IS easier to learn simplified Chinese, but sometimes it can be confusing.:conf

Hongkong and Taiwan are still using traditional characters but I think they will finally adopt the simple one.

I guess anything is possible. The Vietnamese and Koreans might start using them too. But even if I believed what you were saying, it wouldn't matter. One still has to know how to read traditional to be fully functional, even on the mainland. Plus, sorry to be such a wise guy, but well over half of the most common 3000 characters have no simplified comrads, so it would be impossible to drop all traditional characters and still be able to read.

I wonder if rivercao could borrow us his Magic 8 Ball

Mine must be broken because it keeps returning that famous Charlton Heston quote...

I know you were joking but I don't know what was that about...:wall

Maybe I should talk less.:conf

TBH, I've found quite often that simplified characters make so little sense that they're harder to remember.

Of course, traditional ones often have so many strokes it's easy to miss one.

It probably IS easier to learn simplified Chinese, but sometimes it can be confusing.

I think for a large part it depends on personal preference. You can argue that one is easier/more logical/better-looking/whatever than the other, but in the end it comes down to habit and personal taste.