Chinese-Forums

Summer course in Fudan or ECNU

AprilTulip

I'm planning to go to Fudan or ECNU for summer language course. Anyone had experience?

I want rather challenging and intensive course, and Fudan is better about that as I understand, also, they have already scheduled tours for students on weekends.

ECNU, on the other hand, is specializing in teaching chinese to foreigners, as I understand. But they don't even have the start dates for the course yet, and also I haven't found information on whether they provide JW202 form for short-term students to obtain visas (anyone has information on that)?

Please, write your opinions! Any information is welcome!

I'm planning to go to Fudan or ECNU for summer language course. Anyone had experience? snip

Hi!

I was considering both as well. Are you talking about the ECNU International Summer School? Because that program only offers Mandarin for 1 hr 40 mins in the morning and then a variety of different choices the rest of the day. I don't know about you but I would rather do purely Mandarin than do econ or accounting or something as well (I have enough of that now at uni, thank you very much :P). I think the dates are July 5 - Aug 13. I'm not sure if I can those dates.

At Fudan it's the 2-4 week program you're talking about right? The tuition fees are insanely low (US$ 556) compared to actually all the other programs I've looked at but yeah it has a good reputation. And it looks really intense, even classes on Saturdays!! It's nice they have organized trips as well like you said. Other than the schedule here: http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/downloads/201008hydq.swf, there isn't much more information about this program in English unfortunately! I also checked out China Study Abroad (csa.com) and they offer a 4 week program at Fudan starting August 1st and they say it's 4 hours group and 2 hrs individual per day, but no where on the Fudan website can I find a program on this date offering individual teaching as well. Plus it's pretty expensive (US$2,485 with accommodation) on the CSA website. Hm. Maybe I'll write them an e-mail. But as I gather from the forum posts I've read, people recommend applying directly to the university (or maybe through CUCAS?) instead of through agencies like CSA. I have no idea about that document you're talking about- I'm not that far into my research yet to consider visas :P

But yeah as you can probably tell I would go for the Fudan program because I want to focus on Mandarin.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Lisa!

At ECNU I was considering Chinese only program, they offer it as well as the Summer School. And the prices are lower than those for Fudan. I actually think, that Fudan tuition prices are among the highest I've seen for China Universities. It's even more expensive than BLCU prices! But I went for Fudan, as their language course seems to be more intensive, and they actually replied to my e-mails unlike ECNU... So, I applied directly to Fudan, waiting for admission notice now, and packing my luggage :)