Chinese-Forums

Forums Software Upgrade

roddy

Another stupid question. How does one remove friends? ["unfriend" is I think the correct term.] It's not that I dislike that person, it's more that I'm over 35 and hence I just can't understand this whole "electronic friend" thing.

[DOH! That was my 1000th post, I should have done something more intelligent to mark the occasion....]

Anyone who wants can now specify their Chinese level by editing your profile.

Hi Roddy,

I think this is a good idea. I'm wondering if you can create an "Elementary" category. I think there needs to be something between "Beginner" and "Intermediate". Seems like most textbook series follow that line: Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced, Fluent.

Thanks.

Another stupid question. How does one remove friends? ["unfriend" is I think the correct term.] It's not that I dislike that person, it's more that I'm over 35 and hence I just can't understand this whole "electronic friend" thing.

I agree and want to know how to do it too. (It seems that I tend to agree with jbradfor a lot.)

Apparently there's a "Remove me as a friend" link in that person's profile (left side under the photo).

In your own profile settings there is also an option to not accept automatically new friend requests.

I don"t dislike having electronic "friends", I just prefer them to be people I've interacted with before in the public boards, and not brand new members looking for english practice.

• Like 1

It is in your "friend" 's profile, not your own profile.

Once you have clicked on it, it reverts back to "Add me as a friend".

BTW I inadvertently clicked on those links in your profile, please ignore the notifications.

Ah! Found it, and it seems to work. [i felt a bit uncomfortable clicking it, however, go figure....]

Thanks!

Not that it's important, but there seems to be a bug in this "friend" thing. There are two people that have me as friends, but they don't show up as my friend. Isn't friendship commutative?

(It seems that I tend to agree with jbradfor a lot.)

It's mutual ;)

Lemme see . . .

You can opt to hide friends from your profile, and to automatically or manually approve friend requests here. Notifications for friend requests, etc, can be customized here.

Looks like you've already figured out how to remove friends.

I just prefer them to be people I've interacted with before in the public boards, and not brand new members looking for english practice.

I actually just this afternoon changed things around so that new members won't have access to certain functions - if I got it right, status updates, friend addition, private message and blog creation - until they reach a certain number of posts. Which means that those of you with blogs to post to already should be able to publish directly, without waiting for me to approve your post. If I remembered to change that setting, it was some hours ago now.

I think this is a good idea. I'm wondering if you can create an "Elementary" category.

I think what I'm going to do is make that a short text field so that people can opt to leave it blank, or fill it in with 'wonderful', 'hideous' or 'HSK 6' as they see fit.

Since the last update of the software I have this problem: When I go to the "New" tab, I only see new content since my last visit and not all messages I haven't read before despite not having changed the "View New Content Method". Does the "Show me all content that I have not read" option no longer work?

As far as I can see it works (bar the bug where it sometimes shows you stuff you have read). I'll keep an eye on it with my test accounts though.

Are you using more than one computer / device?

(re Chinese info on profile)

I think what I'm going to do is make that a short text field so that people can opt to leave it blank, or fill it in with 'wonderful', 'hideous' or 'HSK 6' as they see fit.

I've done this now - if you leave it blank it just won't appear, if you want to fill it in you've got 50 characters to explain yourself.

I've done this now - if you leave it blank it just won't appear, if you want to fill it in you've got 50 characters to explain yourself.

Thanks. Referring to myself as a beginner was too hard on my ego, and I didn't want to lie and say I was an intermediate.

You should be able to edit that from the 'edit profile' button further up the screen. As for the yellow box - no idea, I can't see it and I can't see one on anyone else's profile. Perhaps it's ill?

If you can't make the edits you want to let me know which specific profile fields it is and I'll take a look.

Odd, not sure why that would be happening. I just cleared your status, can you try adding a new one and seeing what happens.

The converted data you can edit with the 'edit profile' button you can see on the screenshot. Although we do have two location fields, which I should probably do something about.

Somehow my previous status is now displayed in the yellow box instead of the blue box.

When I enter a new status in the yellow box, I get sent to that page, but my status remains unchanged.

When I enter a new status in the blue box, it gets displayed in the blue box (but the old one remains in the yellow box).

Also I can't see where to edit the Converted information...

post-30468-002657100 1277798074_thumb.png

post-30468-074510700 1277798084_thumb.png

post-30468-057695000 1277798097_thumb.png

Edelweis, my apologies and you should be able to edit your profile now - I've shifted all the 'converted' fields into the main section also.

For the status box issue - is it still there? If you update your status (perhaps more than once?) does it appear? I've got an idea what's going on, but can't reproduce it on a test account. Or would you prefer to just ignore it?

hm ok thanks Roddy.

The yellow status box is still here and still does nothing. FYI I also see a yellow status line on other people's profiles, including "tester". Yours says: "roddy Delighted to see Mr Swanson's first blog entry. "

The blue one appears to work though.

I guess I'll just ignore the yellow box as you say.