Chinese-Forums

Forums Software Upgrade

roddy

And could you we sign in without clicking sign in? That step seems quite unnecessary.
I would also like to see this, a sign-in option right on the front page. Don't know if it's possible, but I find it very convenient.

Also the new posts function is not working very well for me so far, but perhaps I'm just doing it wrong.

(Just copy-pasted the text I wanted to quote into my post, and only when I started writing my post I realized I could have used the brand-new quote button. Not used to it yet, I guess :-) )

Here, using the new threads list it takes me to whatever post is at the end, or near the end. I assume it remembers the time I last logged in (how it does that when I have "remember me?" ticked I don't know...) and shows me posts since then, regardless of whether I've actually looked at that thread recently.

The last_post.png and new_post.png buttons behave differently. The first just takes you to the end of the topic, the second to new content. If you can't see that second one, there are no new posts for you. Does that make sense.

Thanks, got it. I tried to give you a plus, but the system said I had reached my quota for today :huh:

That'll be a permissions thing. If I'm going to use the reputation thing I might ban admins from using it until we see what the membership does with it.

Oddly enough, this thread is still being shown as "Read 0 times" from the Forum Home.

I had to manually rebuild the database entry for this topic after fixing those post glitches, didn't have time to do it properly.

List of things to do, incomplete and in no particular order:

Google site search

Fix dodgy fix with background images

Add login box to header

Better ways to navigate new / unread / watched / today content. Hmmmm

Sort out portal blocks - at the moment they're not much use for seeing what's happening.

Will copy everyone's avatars across to their profile photo.

Got to admit, I do quite like that multiquote thing.

I think the new design is a bit messier than the old one, but well, I suppose I'll get used to it. I do find it annoying that it's not immediately obvious to me who wrote the posts I'm reading. Of course the information is still there but I have to really look for it.

But oh well! I'll get used to that as well ;)

Thanks Roddy and good luck with the maintenance today!

Ok, so I have . . .

Added a log-in box to the header. It looks a bit dubious but it will serve for now (and degree of dubiousness depends on browser).

Added links to the header for new and today's content. Not any closer to an easy way to view watched topics I'm afraid.

Set everyone to 'view unread content' by default, as that seems to be the favored way.

The right hand box on the portal now functions like the old one - it it features topics ordered by last post, rather than date the topic was started.

Changed some non-intuitive search behaviour - it was set to search whichever module you were in, so if you searched 'blcu' while on your profile it might give you members called 'blcu'. It now searches forums by default.

Now, I'll just have a quick look at profile photos, then I think I might have a rest.

I know some people aren't happy with the design, but it also appears that other people are. I'm certainly not going to change anything for aesthetic reasons quite yet (I seem to remember a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth when we moved to VB in the first place).

Thanks Glenn. Have figured out what I need to do with profile photos, just need to figure out how to do it. And did some other stuff too, but now it's definitely time for a break.

I like this new place better now, with all the changes made. Thanks roddy for the hard work. tongue.gif

The "New" function still seems a bit strange. When I refreshed it after reading a few threads, some of the threads that I had read remained. And then I reloaded it again they disappeared. Not a big problem, though.

IPB does seem to do quite a lot of caching, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why, Skylee. Glad you're liking it a bit more anyway.

I'm not sure if there's an up to date Chinese language pack, but if there isn't you can be in charge of making one, Imron.

Just FYI: vBulletin also has a "multi quote" option.

There isn't a Simplified Chinese language pack for v3 of ip.board. There does appear to be a trad one, and one for version 2 but I've no idea how big the differences are between versions.

Hope you're enjoyig getting your hands dirty configuring a new piece of software, Roddy. I get a kick out of that kind of thing myself ;)

• Like 1

The last_post.png and new_post.png buttons behave differently. The first just takes you to the end of the topic, the second to new content. If you can't see that second one, there are no new posts for you. Does that make sense.

I don't see those icons. This is what my "new posts" screen looks like, and when I click on one it takes me to the latst post, even if it's in a thread I've never read before.

post-3304-127332948499_thumb.png

• Like 1

I haven't really got familiar with this new change. However, I find my setting is different from others. For example, when I visit Online Users, I can see the icons of add friends of the other memebers, while mine is in blank. By the way, under my own photo, there's a 'warn status', what is that? Could you please help? I still need time to figure out this new change of the forum. Thanks!

• Like 1

That's because you can't make friends with yourself. If I look at online users I can see the add as friend button next to your name, but not next to mine.

The warn level comes from the old admin notes. (edit in your case you seem to have a warn level of zero, so nothing to worry about). If anyone is seeing a warn level they think they shouldn't have let us know and we'll fix it. I've got a warn level of 10%, thanks to imron . . .

• Like 1