Chinese-Forums

Forums Software Upgrade

roddy

I have one other issue. On the old site, if you clicked on a link in someone's post, it would open in a new tab in the browser. Now, the link is opened in the same tab, so it takes you away from this site. I liked the old version, would it be possible to get that back?

• Like 2

I've now got it set to open external links (ie to other sites) in a new tab / window. Is that ok, or do you want internal links also opening in new tabs?

I think current best practice is to have everything open in the same tab, but then the user can decide by right clicking / mousewheel clicking, etc.

I've now got it set to open external links (ie to other sites) in a new tab / window. Is that ok, or do you want internal links also opening in new tabs?

I think current best practice is to have everything open in the same tab, but then the user can decide by right clicking / mousewheel clicking, etc.

I prefer a new tab, a new window as a 2nd option.

The Watched list doesn't have pages (the old software also included 1, 2, 3,..."last page"). Can the link, at least, go to the last page? I have to always click twice now to see the new answers.

These two requests are not so critical though.

This is great, thanks!

Is it possible to change it so when you hover your mouse over a forum topic it shows the (truncated if necessary) content of the first post instead of "View Result"? I know other forums do this but I'm too lazy to check them now to see which particular bulletin board software they're using.

hmmm

I have 11 goals so my check-in thread posts apparently exceed the max number of quotes :blink:

Not a really big issue I guess I could just use a bold font instead of quoting myself 11 times.

But wouldn't it be better to remove that limitation (I mean, on a language learning forum, isn't is better if people quote precisely each sentence they want to reply to in detail?)

could we have the Forums, New, Watched, Today tabs/hyperlinks at the bottom of the page as well (actually all I want is the "New") so that we don't have to scroll up to the top of the page for those tabs?

Could the "New" tab also only display the new posts since the site was last visited (like previously)? It used to be easy seeing which post were really new, but now there is a long list every time.

anonymoose, you can just press the "mark all as read" link in the top left corner of the new posts overview.

I'd be happy if that button could be moved down together with the ones skylee requested to the bottom of the page; usually I'll only want to mark the posts as read AFTER I've skimmed over them...

Can I point out use of the home key as a short cut to jump to the top of the page, and also the 'back to top' link in every footer. I'm holding off on template changes at the moment anyway as (oh please god don't hate me too much) there's another software upgrade coming soon.

Love you all

• Like 1

roddy, thanks for pointing out that there is a back to top link.

oh there is really something wrong with the emoticon. when I choose an emoticon the picture appears but after posting it becomes something like this -> dry.gif