Chinese-Forums

Forums Software Upgrade

roddy

Humm, just noticed a new(?) "feature" of the new software. If you start a new thread, and then immediately try to reply to your own new thread, it will merge the reply with the original post.

I know it sounds like a feature, but in this case I wanted the first post to be a general introduction, with a separate second post with the first of many details.

So since yesterday (at least then I started noticing) posts that I click on using the arrow don't necessarily get marked read anymore. Maybe it's just the ones that don't jump to the end of the discussion (which a lot seem to do recently), but I don't have enough data yet to confirm that - and given the state of my short-term memory, probably never will.

Anyway, any way to fix that?

• 2 weeks later...

That's for an older version of IPB, and I'm not making any more changes until the latest version of IPB is installed - it's literally due out today, and I'll probably let it get through a couple of patches and then switch over.

/girds loins

Ok, this is now scheduled to happen in the next couple of days - won't be anywhere near as big a change, and I've spent a large chunk of today making a list of all the things I need do to make it go smoothly. Shouldn't, fingers crossed, be more than a couple of hours of minor disruption probably tomorrow.

This will, I'm hoping, fix some of the bugs described above, and if not I'll . . . well, promises promises.

I also want to make some changes to the arrangement of categories and forums, but I'm a bit scared to mess around with things. So I might just leave that in the notebook . . .

We don't currently allow name changes. It's been considered, but even if we change your username we can't run around editing everyone else's posts where they quote or refer to you, so it seems a bit pointless and confusing.

Ok, at the moment the only issue I'm aware of is that the latest posts box on the home page is ordered all wrong. Stick to the new posts link in the header 'til I get that fixed. Oh, and the log-in box in the header has gone. That will probably be coming back, but as we'll shortly have more log-in options (facebook, twitter, openid) I need to figure those out first.

We should now have a much nicer mobile skin - you can choose it from the drop down box at the bottom left, or your browser may choose it automatically. And is that iPhone app working?

Well, yes and no. It's got to be set to something, as until you log in it doesn't know your preference (which you can set here if you haven't already). But there's no particular reason for it to be GMT. So I've set it to GMT+8, 'cos that's where I am. And you.

So since yesterday (at least then I started noticing) posts that I click on using the arrow don't necessarily get marked read anymore. Maybe it's just the ones that don't jump to the end of the discussion (which a lot seem to do recently) . . .

I think this is now fixed. For some reason session variables (the s=fdsajlkfjsdlkfjsdljfsdal ) that is appended to the url when you visit the forum after being away ) was causing issues.

That dumb bug with the new posts (where read posts were still appearing if they were in the same subforum) doesn't seem to have been fixed though, which is somewhat annoying.

The search box in the header now gives you more options, and will assume you want to search the section you are in. If you don't you can change it via the drop down. Not convinced by this, but let me know if you like it or not.

Latest post box on the home page is now sorted as it should be.

Anyone who wants can now specify their Chinese level by editing your profile. This info will appear . . . well, look to the left.

That's not very objective, though, is it? I mean, I know some people here are going to put "advanced" when really it should be "basic" or "lower intermediate".

I know some people here are going to put "advanced" when really it should be "basic" or "lower intermediate

Are you referring to roddy, since he is the only one who's done that so far? :P

roddy, how do I get rid of the 'warn status' display below my avatar?

Are you referring to roddy, since he is the only one who's done that so far? :P

On the contrary, it could be anyone except Roddy. As I said, I know some people are going to, implying a future action, and thus ruling out Roddy as the only person who had already set theirs. :nono

Short of having people fax in their HSK certificates, I'm not sure what I can do. If it's a dumb idea I can remove it, but I thought it might be useful. Name the people though, we can keep an eye out for them.

Warn status - that's only visible to you (and admin members) so I wouldn't worry about it. I can see it might be a little annoying though, maybe I can remove it for people with no warnings or something. Will take a look tomorrow.

Name the people though, we can keep an eye out for them.

Haha, I don't want to name names. I'm just wondering what the purpose is, because it's not like it's really a reliable guide to how proficient the person actually is.

Perhaps having detailed level descriptions would help.

Perhaps more levels too (I now consider myself an "advanced beginner" or something).

Or perhaps guide the users to ensure their definition of the levels is consistent.

For instance selecting the textbooks you have completed and/or total classroom hours and/or HSK or TOP results and/or number of characters you can read etc... and let some program select the appropriate level to be displayed.

It is true that it is difficult to self-evaluate, especially before you have fully understood just how long learning Chinese is going to be.