Chinese-Forums

Forums Software Upgrade

roddy

. If it's a dumb idea I can remove it, but I thought it might be useful.

It's a dumb and useless idea. If I want to know someone's Chinese level I go to the Chinese Corner and scope the scene.

• Like 2

skylee I welcome all negative reactions! All the better to counterbalance the others positive reputations. Need to have some yin and yang here, you know.

Actually I very much enjoy the Chinese Corner regardless of the Chinese language level of the participants.

Actually I think it's good to have just a very few imprecise options, and for it to be the opinion of the user about his or her ability. It means if I write anything about the language, people know what I think about my own Chinese, and therefore some context in which to view what I've written.

EDIT: I just plussed Meng Lelan for you Skylee, despite not agreeing!

Ok, I guess I'll remove that.

The iPhone app (which is a generic one from the makers of the forum software, not something I've had developed myself) has been updated. More details here. I don't have an iPhone so won't be using it, but if you hit any problems let me know and I'll see what I can do.

You can apparently receive push notifications to the Iphone app - set that up in the mobile column here.

Just take it with a grain of salt when you read and you should be fine; there's no need to invent a whole new HSK just to make sure people don't lie in their profile.

The distinction between native and non-native certainly is useful to have right in the mini-profile, and might save us from some of the "I am a native Chinese so don't argue with me" disclaimers.

But the point is that the "context" is unreliable when there's know way of objectively verifying it.

Sure, but these forums aren't a professional, paid-for service, I look at them more along the lines of someone asking a friend or a friend-of-a-friend for some help on some grammar or something, and the person replying, well, I'm only at an intermediate level, but I think the correct answer is this......

For heaven's sake, he makes a plea for help and gets red marks for it? Tough crowd.

1) I've hidden the warn status boxes from public view. It's not like we hand out many warnings, and you'd be getting a pm about it if you get one, so.

2) Topic preview is now enabled, as I think adrianlondon requested. However I'm not sure it's working on Chrome, can't figure out why. Anyway, on the forum view (eg) mouse over one of the titles and click on the post-3-066543800 1277452512_thumb.png icon. There's an 'unread latest post' link on there which doesn't seem to work, but never mind, eh. Let me know if it gives you any trouble though.

3) Sure I did something else . . ah, didn't do that yet. Watch this space.

At least, I thought topic preview was working . . . seems to work for admin . . and guests . . . just not you lot.

Edit: Think I've sussed it - try using the drop down at bottom left to flick to the mobile style and back, that fixed it for my test account. Presumably a caching issue somewhere.

1) I've hidden the warn status boxes from public view. It's not like we hand out many warnings, and you'd be getting a pm about it if you get one, so.

I think you should yellow card people instead.

Stupid question time. [i like being good at something!]

Is there a way in the blogs to get a listing, sorted by the time of the last comment, on a per blog-entry basis? Right now I can only get a listing sorted on a per blog basis.

At the moment I don't think so, but I can see the need. Nearest thing at the moment is the 'recent comments' block on each individual blog (eg). There's a whole bunch of block / page creation tools back behind the curtain, if there isn't anything available already I shall see what I can knock up.