Chinese-Forums

Cantonese Metaphor

Ian_Lee

Cantonese people have a hell of imagination when it comes to these things. Re Doreen, I figure that the first syllable has to do with 墮, but have no idea about the second syllable. Why is this name a taboo, but not Doris, Dorothy, Dora?

And what does 牛肉場 mean?

I feel hopelessly ignorant ...

keke! I'm not 鹹濕 at all~~~ Don't "wut" me~~ :P

Some more hidden words but not sure how to translate them in english:

If you say someone is 潮洲魚蛋(teochew fishball), it means they want to get a fist and sidekick! (唔打唔爽)

牛肉乾 is a penality bill for those uncomply with the traffic ordinance.

If you're "Holland Bank Cheque", hmm, you're stupid. (好X 笨 X)

Again, if you're Holland Friend, it means you're troublesome. (好X 煩)

These expressions are totally unrelated to Holland and Netherlands, but the sounds of Holland is like a cantonese expression which means "Very".. maybe more than "Very".... 8)

開罐頭 literally means open a can, but it can also mean ...take a girl's virgin. Also, in ancient cantonese tradition, when a couple had the first night after getting married, the husband had to give back the roasted pig to his father-in-law if the girl were a virgin (no roasted pig return means the girl isn't a virgin which can be insulting) . Then today, If a girl's "pork" were eaten by others (畀人食左隻豬), it means her virginity were taken.

Cantonese people have a hell of imagination when it comes to these things. Re Doreen, I figure that the first syllable has to do with 墮, but have no idea about the second syllable.

HAHA! :oops:

Yes, you're right that Dor is like the sound of 墮 (falling).

"Reen" is pronunced as "Leen" in cantonese which is similar to "Lin1".

It means bubb.. breasts. Then that's why Doreen is a victim of poor-designed bras.