Chinese-Forums

Quote Translation

cecilia.ch

"嘉庆十三年,有旨册封琉球国王,正使为齐太史鲲,副使为费侍御锡章。吴门有沈三白名复者,为太史司笔砚,亦同行."

I've tried to translate this but there are some things that I can't understand at all. So, "During the thirteenth year of Jiaqing's reign.."

Thanx!

It is about how Shen Sanbai got to Ryukyu, Japan. In 1808, the emperor decreed that the king of Ryukyu be conferred with the proper title (by the emperor). The chief official sent to confer the title was Taishi (official title) Qi Kun. The deputy was Shiyu (official title) Fei Xizhang. Shen Sanbai, whose real/other name was Fu, of Suzhou (aka Wumen) was in their company to attend to the Taishi's desk.

See if it makes sense.

It is about how Shen Sanbai got to Ryukyu, Japan. In 1808, the emperor decreed that the king of Ryukyu be conferred with the proper title (by the emperor). The chief official sent to confer the title was Taishi (official title) Qi Kun. The deputy was Shiyu (official title) Fei Xizhang. Shen Sanbai, whose real/other name was Fu, of Suzhou (aka Wumen) was in their company to attend to the Taishi's desk.

See if it makes sense.

Oooh thank you! yes, it does make sense now! The part I' didn't understand at all was the one on the official titles (taishi; shiyu). :rolleyes: thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
Anything that happens once does not necessarily happen again, everything that happens twice is likely to happen for the third time as well.

一件事发生过一次不一定会发生第二次;一件事发生过两次则可能发生第三次。

or

有头回不一定有二回;有二回则可能有三回。

Personally I prefer the second translation.

• Like 1