Chinese-Forums

Visa Credit Card

JNETO

Why so few places in Shenzhen accept a VISA type credit card?

It's terrible for us foreigns that don't have "Union Pay"

I'm sure you also have a master card, which is much more widely accepted. Discover card and Union Pay also work with each other quite seamlessly.

• Like 1

Nice! Thanks, I didn't realize that. I usually leave my Discover card at home when traveling internationally, might have to change.

From Wikipedia:

In May 2005 Discover Network announced an alliance with China UnionPay Network. The two companies have signed a long-term agreement that allows acceptance of Discover Network brand cards at UnionPay ATMs and point-of-sale terminals in China and acceptance of China UnionPay cards on the PULSE network in the U.S.[8] As of November 1, 2007, China UnionPay cards may be accepted where Discover Network Cards are accepted in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.[9] However, Discover does not support China UnionPay for e-commerce or card-not-present transactions.

Later edit: from Discover's Site, they state they charge only a 2% "Foreign Currency Finance Charge". This is better than the 3% charged by pretty much every other (in US at least) visa and mastercard company. [CaptialOne is an exception, having no fee.] So if you have a choice between Discover and Visa/MasterCard in China, you might save 1% by picking Discover.

Edited by jbradfor