Chinese-Forums

In Kunming From September!

sheherazade

Hi everyone!

I'm Laura and I'm planning to come to kunming from septemper for the scholar year. I still don't know if i'm enrolling at yunnan normal or yunnan university. I tried to write to both the unis, but i'm still waiting for their reply. does anyone have some suggestion about which uni enroll to?

i don't care that much about having to many foreingers around - hanging out with international students is not that bad :P

i just would like to study in a uni quite well organized, with good teachers and good courses (not just chinese classes but history, art, sociology as well, if possible).

is there anyone who's going to be in kunming next september? do you think kunming is a good city for living and studying?

i would like to go in a livable city, and kunming seems to be nice, not to big with blu sky and not to much polluted air.

what is night life like in kunming? i'm not looking for discos or stuff like that, but once there hanging out with some beer at night wouldn't be that bad neither. i know i can't expect that much movida as in beijing, shanghai or hangzhou, but someone told me kunming can be kind of boring, is it true?

actually i just feel like really impatient about coming to kunming, so if you have any kind of suggestion or something you want to tell about the city i'd be glad to read it ;)

hug from italy!

laura

Hi Laura,

Good pseudonym / nickname!

There are a few threads that should answer all of your questions:

Yunnan University vs Yunnan Normal University: this thread

Kunming life: this thread and this thread

Kunming is an humane city to live / study: medium 2nd tier city, good weather (relatively clean air, not humid, Spring weather e.g. fairly temperate with lots of sunny, clear days), relatively unpolluted, very clean (streets), and easy to make friends as lots of people are looking to meet foreigners.

Kunming does lack an exciting, sophisticated night-life but does have some bars (not many, and of varying quality). Night-life consists of Kundu, which is unsophisticated and standard SE Asian / East Asian (i.e. non HK, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo) club scene re: excruciating music, loud and smokey. Fun, but the appeal is extremely limited (unless you're my Chilean / English friend ;)).

Kunming is a fantastic base if you wish to travel at weekends or have time to travel as you have Yunnan to explore, plus other provinces. If you prefer a more Western lifestyle inc. food then perhaps head to Beijing, Shanghai, etc.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Check out the other Kunming threads, your questions have already been answered.

People are friendly, the air is comparably good.

Nightlife can be anything from frustrating to perfect, depending on your requirements. I definitely loved it. The diversity is there. Kundu for discos, Hump bar for beer and almost native expats (I heard management changed since my last visit, so I'm not sure now), the bars nearby green lake for meeting foreigners.

Depending on your Chinese level you might want to find a local friend who can help you to get out of the city at the weekend, as there are many wonderful places around the city. Nearby you could pick strawberries, visit Shilin stoneforest, visit the pot junkies in Dali, go hiking in the high mountains, or take a trip to the jungle in xishuangbanna (organized several week jungle tours that bring you to your limits do exist there as well).

• 1 month later...

Hi Laura,

thank You for Your post cause You have the same questions as I do ;) I´m also going to Kunming in September, visiting Yunnan Uni. Though I wrote to Yunnan Uni, I didn´t get any answer - now I know the reason. Christine from China University Application Center wrote me the whole Uni is on holidays :) So if You need to contact the University, You can do it through this center, they will definitely help You. (They helped me a lot ;) )

China University Application Center

Email:study@at0086.com

I would be happy to meet new friends who´s just arrived/are already studying in Kunming:) I think we can have a pleasant conversation and come to know some interesting info .)

So I You want to, just let me know :)

Cheers,

Olga :)

hi olga! good to know that someone's coming to kunming next year ;)

when are you getting there? i think i'm arriving on the 30th of agoust, and i think i'm staying at the cloudland hostel 'till i find a room or something. what are you gonna do? are you staying in the campus or off-campus?

where are you from? i'm italian and i'm 22 (soon 23, getting older...), and you?

see you soon in kunming!!

Hi Laura, thanks for the reply! :)

I will arrive with my friend and schoolmate between 3rd and 5th September, cause I´m having my final state exams on 2nd Sep. :unsure: I´m Russian studying in the CZ and my friend is Czech, we are both 22 :) We haven´t decided where will we stay (we are worried about the flights now ;-) ), but reading the reviews we will definitely rent an apartment with internet, refrigerator and at least washing machine :))) I don´t think I will make it without these things :P

I haven´t heard about the Cloudland hostel...is it good? Has someone been there?

I would be grateful for any info :))

Looking forward to seeing You soon in Kunming :)))

PS. Btw. how do you travel to Kunming? By plane or by train?

hi olga,

excuse me for haven't replyed yet to your post!

i will study at normal university, but for the moment i've applyed for just one semester, so that if i change my mind i can switch to yunnan university the second term (i'm staying one year in kunming).

last year i went travelling around in yunnan and when i stopped in kunming i stayed at cloudland, and it's a really good hostel! one of the best i found in china. so i'm defenitly going there ;)

if you're coming as well, we can meet there once you arrive! :D

so, i hope your exam is going well, and you can leave for china happy and with nomore axams left to take ;)

see you in kunming! if you need anything just keep in touch, kisses from italy!

ps i'm coming by plane, the train would take way longer...i'm flying with british airways, i found a good price a couple of months ago...

which company are you flying with? don't be worried about the plane, it's gonna be long but good ;)