Chinese-Forums

The Flying Pigeon Project

Flying Pigeon

Hi,

While looking for information about old school Chinese bicycles, I found this website. It's run by Jeff Stracco who, in his website bio, describes himself as: "An American expat living in China, recently obsessed with all forms of 'traditional' rod brake Chinese bicycles."

Haven't found any contact info on his website. Hoping he checks the boards here from time to time. I'd like to talk shop with him.

And I would also like to talk shop with you, friendly reader, if you have an interest in old Chinese bicycles. Are there any bicycle clubs in Beijing? Not the long distance touring kind (I don't look good in spandex), but the kind where folks get together for a leisurely Sunday afternoon ride, occasionally stopping for a beer or two. If not, wanna start one? I'll need to buy a bicycle first . . .

• Like 1

gougou,

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of bike do you have? A 永久 roadster?

You know of any places in town selling second-hand roadsters? I went to a place a few bus stops from the Dongzhimen station, but their prices seemed kinda high. They had a bunch of old Japanese postal bikes, painted bright orange and with big racks in the front and back. Sweet!

I hear there is a factory in Anyang, Henan that used to make roadsters called Fei Ying (飞鹰). I'm hoping to visit the factory (if it still exists) at the end of this month while I'm down in Henan.

Edit: Deleted the sentence about not having a bike.

• Like 1

Many of the places selling new bikes (especially those not affiliated with any particular brand) will have a bunch of second-hand bikes of dubious origin standing around. That's where I got mine. I paid 110 RMB, I think, which supposedly is on the high side but was ok with me.

• 3 weeks later...

gougou,

This is what I was thinking of. Let me know how that sounds.

I bought a bike, a 飞鸽. Long story, details and photos soon.

I'm wondering if you would be up for a pre-ride meeting over a few beers. I can bring my Beijing street map. Feel free to PM me.

Edit: Corrected a grammar mistake. Also deleted the part about not being able to ride into town.

• Like 1

I'm generally unwilling to commit for specific dates, but I like the idea of combining biking with food! Do you have anything particular in mind already?

And is there anybody else interested in joining?

gougou,

I like what the Flying Pigeon people in LA are doing: getting together once a month for an "eat and ride" outing. They also do a once-a-month art gallery ride. A friend of mine did something similar in LA, but it was a Sunday afternoon bar-hopping "drink and ride" kind of thing. I knew a guy in Japan that used to go on six-pack park rides at night: buy a six-pack of beer, ride to a park, drink a beer, go to another park, drink another beer, repeat.

Basically I'd like to get together for rides with other rod-brake 老式 roadster enthusiasts.

But it looks like there aren't any other people here that are interested. :(

I'll ask around and let you know if other folks are game.

Thanks for your replies! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

gougou,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should have edited some of my earlier posts. About a month ago, I bought another bike near Dongzhimen and rode it back home. It took about two hours. They recently re-paved the road to/from town so it's a smooth ride. I can arrive in town in the morning, and should probably leave around 5:30pmish so I can make it home before it gets too dark.

Where would you like to meet? Do you want to try for this weekend?

If you know people who are interested please let them know. And of course if anyone reading this is interested, you're more than welcome to come along for the ride!

I'm sick right now, but I should be back on my feet on Sunday, so we could plan something then. Where will you be coming in from? I could meet you half way, wouldn't mind to get out of the city a bit.

Sorry to hear you're sick. But nothing like a leisurely ride on an old Chinese bicycle to get the lymph fluid pumping.

I'll be zipping in from the Northeast on Jingmi Road, running parallel with the Airport Express train tracks. Gosh, I'm terrible with place names. Chaoyang-ish. When I ride bus 970 into town one of the first stops is Li Du Fan Dian, the next stop is by the Sanyuanqiao subway station.

I might be taking the bus to town tomorrow or Saturday to run some errands, so I can scout out some places.

Hope you feel better soon.

• 10 years later...